E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Would you ever buy an Audi after owning a BMW? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958583)

PrecisionX 11-30-2012 01:36 PM

Would you ever buy an Audi after owning a BMW?

I just parked next to a silver B5 S4, to me one of the cleanest best looking cars and in theory a perfect performance storm, twin turbo? 6 banger? AWD? Nice... But no they decided to be a hurricane of PITA repairs and maintenance.... What a shame, would you ever own an Audi? Did you? Seems like I hear more people saying never again to Audi more than never again to Chevy lol...

GhostFlame 11-30-2012 01:42 PM

Owned an A4 2.0T and it was the biggest POS maintenance wise.

The car itself handled wonderfully with the quattro system, although admitably it did feel quite heavy. Interior aesthetics were beyond any probably 90% of other cars out there of the same generation. Wasn't too bad on gas either.

In one sentance: do not own out of warranty.

Cyanide72 11-30-2012 01:44 PM

I won't own anything after owning a BMW.

PrecisionX 11-30-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostFlame (Post 14940617)

The car itself handled wonderfully with the quattro system, although admitably it did feel quite heavy. Interior aesthetics were beyond any probably 90% of other cars out there of the same generation. Wasn't too bad on gas either.

I hate that because I don't keep cars stock, and if I love a car enough I will keep it longer than the warranty period. I'm afraid of my current car enough lol

Zell 11-30-2012 01:44 PM

I'd consider an A5 because I love their interiors and the body style, but what draws me to BMW is the heavy steering feel. It's just unmatched by any competitor.

WDE46 11-30-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14940601)
I just parked next to a silver B5 S4, to me one of the cleanest best looking cars and in theory a perfect performance storm, twin turbo? 6 banger? AWD? Nice... But no they decided to be a hurricane of PITA repairs and maintenance.... What a shame, would you ever own an Audi? Did you? Seems like I hear more people saying never again to Audi more than never again to Chevy lol...

My sister owns a Audi A4 B7 2.0T. It has been in the shop quite a few times, but not for anything major. Her radiator cracked once. That was the most inconvienient one. I think they are a little less reliable than our BMWs, but not by much. I see a lot of special tools for sale online that I really wouldn't want to have to buy. As far as comfort and handling and all that, it about equals an E46 or E90 except it is FWD. That's the only thing I dislike about the car. The torque steer is preposterous. If I were to buy an Audi, I would definitely get an S4 Quattro and that's it.

MercForHire 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

Audi is nice parked at garage 24/7 all year around.
Because it is broken.

cak323i 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

I would have an Audi RS4 to add to my stable...:thumbsup:

Silversixspeed 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

Before I purchased my E46, I had it narrowed down to a ~04 S4 or an E46 XI. I went with my current choice based on a couple things. Cheaper insurance, cheaper initial cost, heard better things about reliability, and because chick magnet. While S4's are certainly clean and look good, I much prefer the E46's lines.

Oh how I wish I had the V8 some days though..

tock172 11-30-2012 01:47 PM

Maybe a TT RS or an R8. Maybe an RS4. I considered a B5 A4 1.8T quattro at one point. Glad I opted for an e46 instead.

MercForHire 11-30-2012 01:47 PM

Like having a supermodel girlfriend in a coma

PrecisionX 11-30-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell (Post 14940628)
I'd consider an A5 because I love their interiors and the body style, but what draws me to BMW is the heavy steering feel. It's just unmatched by any competitor.

I drove one, numb light steering and super stiff suspension that didn't have the handling to justify it, not even close.

tock172 11-30-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercForHire (Post 14940642)
Like having a supermodel girlfriend in a coma

Dead girls don't say no.

jcns 11-30-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostFlame (Post 14940617)

Never met anyone with a used/older Audi that did not have a complaint.
I get it that cars are not perfect, but Audi being a premium brand some these issue should not come up.
BMW also gets it that it's a good idea to build cars that are (relatively) easy to maintain because the car will hold value better.
I would love to get an RS4, incredible car, but the maintenance on that thing will make you sell a liver.
Or even the relatively pedestrian a4 v6. Look at the link below for how to replace timing belt and water pump
http://ramspeedautomotive.com.au/blo...tag/water-pump

MrAdventure 11-30-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14940601)
Seems like I hear more people saying never again to Audi more than never again to Chevy lol...

I have two friends with Audi S4s, another used to have an AllRoad. The cars are nice, but maintenance is a real bitch. The 1st Gen S4s use a timing belt, and the best way to replace requires you to remove a boatload of parts to get to it, which turns into a round of "Well, since you're in there, you should also replace these parts, too". One of my S4 friends has racked up a lot of miles on his (150k+?) and has replaced wheel bearings more than once per wheel. My friend with the AllRoad kept his car reasonably well maintained, but was going to have to replace normal wear items that totalled to close to the value of the car at the time ($7k, iirc). He also went from a Z4M Roadster to a second gen S4, and loves it, but it's getting up in miles, so I don't know if he'll keep it much longer.

I would only get a New Audi, and keep it for 50-60k miles. Beyond that, it seems the maintenance costs will kill ya.

ryannel2003 11-30-2012 01:55 PM

After working at an Audi dealership for 6 months, no. I have seen first hand the amount of maintenance these cars require, and I also had quite a few people tell me once the lease was up they wouldn't ever own another one. On the flip side, they are beautiful cars with well designed interiors and the handling is quite good, though the steering is a tad light for me.

theOCHO 11-30-2012 01:55 PM

Loved my TT -- probably the prettiest car I ever had, but it was at the dealer every weekend for electrical gremlins. Thank God it was under warranty.

But I'd definitely rock a new Audi A4 with a manual ...

MrAdventure 11-30-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcns (Post 14940654)
Look at the link below for how to replace timing belt and water pump
http://ramspeedautomotive.com.au/blo...tag/water-pump

Yeah, I forgot that, but my friend told me he tried to save money and did that as a DIY. Note the whole front end is off the car. I think that's when he said "No More" and is selling his for $5k.

Zell 11-30-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14940647)
I drove one, numb light steering and super stiff suspension that didn't have the handling to justify it, not even close.

:cry: WHY CAN'T ANY COMPANY GET THIS RIGHT?!

lcoleman 11-30-2012 02:06 PM

I drove an A4 of a similar vintage to the e46, and I'd take the BMW all day, every day. If one wants a Volkswagen, there is no need to overpay.