E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   So I went to the range today (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958601)

Nt_loader 11-30-2012 01:54 PM

So I went to the range today

I figured I would take my new LC-9 to the range during lunch and put 100 or so rounds through it. Geez this thing has a little kick to it, I wasnt expecting such a small gun to pack that type of a punch.

Anyway, I could barely hit the center and my grouping was all over the place. I dont know if its the looooooooong trigger pull or I need to adjust my sites. I had to aim about a foot higher than the target to hit where I wanted.

Maybe I just need more time with it. :banghead:

SLVR JDM 11-30-2012 02:44 PM

The little ones don't have much grip to help you absorb the recoil. The long trigger pull probably just takes some getting used to, but wouldn't cause your shots to hit high unless you were breaking your wrist upward before the shot was fired.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nTmTLDnN0N...n%2BTarget.jpg

Nt_loader 11-30-2012 02:49 PM

^ Thanks for the info, I will follow the chart and see it that helps.

Ghostie 11-30-2012 03:29 PM

Same experience with my PPS (I believe it's similar in size to the LC-9)

Although I can usually get it under control within a few shots by adjusting my grip, I always seem to be caught off guard by the recoil on the first shot. I'm hoping the trigger gets better with time, as I've been told they do. It feels pretty gritty, which makes it hard to get a consistent feel for the break. This combined with anticipation (of the recoil) causes me to either jerk the trigger or "Heel" (from above). I'm usually low left or high right, on my first few shots.

I've switched to carrying my XDSC...I'm way more accurate and faster with it. I'm actually wondering if it would be worth the additional weight/size penalty to go to an even bigger gun (been looking at the Glock 19)

I also got a nice shock on Tuesday night when I shot my new LCP....little motherfcker KICKED and stung my hand with every shot (I knew it would suck, but not that much). Definitely not a range queen and not something I want to shoot over ~15-20yrds.

JonJon 11-30-2012 03:30 PM

Flinching.

Try some dry fire drills

SLVR JDM 11-30-2012 04:14 PM

Next time you go to the range, make sure your trigger pull is very slow...slow enough that when the round sets off, you're surprised. Anticipating recoil can be tough to overcome and I've noticed that the slow trigger drill tends to help. Do that to get a feel for it and your accuracy is likely to improve once you speed up your trigger pulls / follow up shots. Sounds a little crazy, but try it.

Works with either dry fire or live.

tailo 11-30-2012 06:34 PM

At what distance were you shooting?

You have to remember, you have a belly gun. Quick chest sized targets at 7 is pretty much what it does best. It's not going to be a target pistol.

Reedo302 11-30-2012 09:56 PM

I would pretty much echo what has been said already. Basically, start with dry fire practice at home. Get used to the long gritty trigger pull. The LCP and LC9 pistols are not going to have a short trigger pull like you would find on something like a Glock or XD, or as smooth of a long pull like you would find in a Kahr or Sig. If it's like the LCP (the only one I've shot), then the pull is long and the break of the sear seems like it's all the way at the back of the trigger guard, and almost like it doesn't exist and then all of a sudden, POP - there it is. I know that the sear break on the LCP is sort of a "What the hell was that!?!?" feel. Basically, you have to get used to the trigger. I have 3 fellow cop friends that carry LCPs as either off-duty guns, or on-duty backups. I went shooting with one guy, who is on my own department, the day he first shot his LCP. He was all over the paper with it initially, and he's a relatively decent shot. He's not a great shot, but he should have been able to be hitting a lot better than he was. I took my turn on it and am convinced that the trigger feel was jacking him up.