E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Clutch Switch "MOD"?... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958744)

thecarguy 12-01-2012 01:11 PM

New Clutch Switch "MOD"?...

1 Attachment(s)
So I have searched and read endlessly for my issue...

Car will start sometimes no problem first try, other times I have to stomp the clutch to the floor and then it will start. I thought maybe my clutch switch was going out, and I was dreading the possibility of the starter. I thought it couldn't be the started though as stomping the clutch to the floor made it so I could always start car.

The previous owner did do the clutch stop mod, and I have since adjusted it so that it is out as far as possible to be able to start the car. Well obviously sometimes a bit too far.

So I thought instead of the disabling mod to be able to start car without pushing clutch in, I thought maybe go a bit less dramatic and simply move the magnetic clutch switch device up a tad further "tricking" it so it is able to "switch" everytime so I can start the car with a normal pressing of the clutch.

Well, this worked! I tested with the clutch switch installed normal and pressed clutch in normal a few times in a row to try to start - would not start. Cheated it up with zip ties and did a number of starts in a row with just pressing the clutch in nice and soft.

Should this be ok to keep it like this? Any potential issues?

thecarguy 12-01-2012 06:38 PM

thoughts?

car drives great.

thecarguy 12-02-2012 11:03 AM

can anyone answer if there would be any problems with this. Is my logic sound?

auto180sx 12-02-2012 02:43 PM

As long as you warn anyone else who drives your car to make sure its out of gear before the start it should be fine. Its mostly a safety measure so the car doesn't plow into something else since its already in gear... Mostly the same reason some shops wont put remote starts on cars with a manual transmission.

thecarguy 12-02-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto180sx (Post 14944929)
As long as you warn anyone else who drives your car to make sure its out of gear before the start it should be fine. Its mostly a safety measure so the car doesn't plow into something else since its already in gear... Mostly the same reason some shops wont put remote starts on cars with a manual transmission.

I still need to push the clutch in to start as I did not do the disable mod. So no wires touched or clipped. I simply moved it up a tad to cheat it's position so it engages a tad sooner allowing me to have the clutch stop set right at the sweet spot.

Kmoy2002 12-02-2012 05:38 PM

Zip ties look pretty ghetto. Scroll down to the EWS section. I covered how to disable to clutch switch here. Currently, I have it disabled (set to manual transmission)

To DISABLE the clutch switch:
-select "Coding data"
-select "Settings and manufacture settings"
-select Manual transmission
note* only for manuals
note** this allows you to start the car without having to depress the clutch

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613

thecarguy 12-02-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmoy2002 (Post 14945280)
Zip ties look pretty ghetto. Scroll down to the EWS section. I covered how to disable to clutch switch here. Currently, I have it disabled (set to manual transmission)

-select "Coding data"
note* only for manuals

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613

Oh I'll be the first to admit it looks ghetto, but unless the panel is off and you are contorted under the dash...you can't see it.

I really just want to know if I could be causing any issues by cheating it up. I figured if some people like yourself are disabling it entirely, I am guessing I wouldn't be causing any harm to the car by doing this.

thecarguy 12-04-2012 04:23 PM

I feel the need to post again since this is not getting much traction.

I want to update that my car is driving much better after doing this. The clutch engagement between gears (especially 1 to 2) is now smooth and not jerky like these are stock. It just feels much better.

Can anyone explain how this is and again I really just want to know if this will cause any issues. While it does drive much better I do not want it to be at the expense of the car.

Before anyone asks - I deleated the CDV way back.

thecarguy 12-06-2012 09:18 PM

No thoughts?

omhl 12-26-2012 03:47 AM

how did you do this?

omhl 12-26-2012 04:50 AM

VERY NICE mod just did this myself.

keeps the clutch in to start car function- safety feature. but lets you start car if you put a little clutch in.

NICE. should keep summertime clutch start woes away
i had to slam my clutch in multiple times before.

should be fine.

that switch is the safety switch. only for startups

ur clutch pedal is actually doing the clutch work. so driving it shouldnt really matter whether or not the magnet is moved up or down.

altenatively if you want a no clutch start you can ziptie or electrical tape a magnetic next to there. but thats dangerous. i prefer this.

smorris_12 12-30-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omhl (Post 15007489)
altenatively if you want a no clutch start you can ziptie or electrical tape a magnetic next to there. but thats dangerous.

Yep. On this side of the pond we don't get clutch switches and I'm forever being towed out of the side of buildings I'd parked next to.

;)

Kmoy2002 01-08-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecarguy (Post 14945529)
Oh I'll be the first to admit it looks ghetto, but unless the panel is off and you are contorted under the dash...you can't see it.

I really just want to know if I could be causing any issues by cheating it up. I figured if some people like yourself are disabling it entirely, I am guessing I wouldn't be causing any harm to the car by doing this.

Does no harm by disabling the switch. It's more a safety feature for the us market to prevent the car from lurching forwards when starting in the event the driver is unaware they are in gear. Seeing as how you're disabling, why not disable it the proper way? I used PA Soft

-select "Coding data"
note* only for manuals
http://i.imgur.com/g5L5X.jpg

sillieidiot 01-08-2013 05:52 PM

seriously, do you guys not read? he did not disable the switch. he simply moved it forward (toward the driver) so that he wouldn't have to press so far down to start the car. he says pressing down normally, so i guess it's still going the full distance to not engage the clutch, just not more than you have to to start the car. but if he moved it up farther than that, then i would agree with everyone else. it's basically the same as disabling it.

but OP, that switch has nothing to do with driving itself. however, because you adjusted the clutch stop, that's probably what's helping you. i never push the clutch all the way down to the clutch stop except to turn on the car.