E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How much did you have to pay to install your HR Cup Kit? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958836)

PrecisionX 12-02-2012 09:24 AM

How much did you have to pay to install your HR Cup Kit?

My inspection is due in January and I'm expecting to have to replace my stock sport suspension and wanted to go the simple best bang for buck route of an HR Cup Kit (Sport) and was wondering if it was an easy DIY or if I'd be better off having a shop do it? How much in labor should I expect to pay?

jerseyzillest 12-02-2012 09:29 AM

I did mine myself, pretty easy, but you should expect to pay 150-250.

PrecisionX 12-02-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyzillest (Post 14944390)
I did mine myself, pretty easy, but you should expect to pay 150-250.

Is it easy because you basically unbolt the stock stuff and don't need a spring compressor to bolt the cup kit in? DIY and then go get an alignment? Like coil overs?

trippmann 12-02-2012 10:17 PM

You need a spring compressor set to assemble the cup kit.

But anyway, the diy is super simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

serdar255 12-02-2012 11:00 PM

I did it my self, it was easy.

Steven747 12-03-2012 12:08 AM

lol state inspection dosent pass if your suspension is worn out lololol? or am i missing something

PrecisionX 12-03-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven747 (Post 14946061)
lol state inspection dosent pass if your suspension is worn out lololol? or am i missing something

If your suspension is leaking or feels bad they will fail you.

ac_2007 12-03-2012 08:50 AM

Get yourself "a guy", or do the installation yourself.

As others have said, the DIY is super simple. You'll learn something out of it too.
I personally wouldn't get the kit with H&R race springs. I haven't used them personally - but people who have experience with many suspension setups, and value their ride comfort have been overall dissapointed with them (or so I've heard). If you do end up getting them - let us know how they feel!

PrecisionX 12-03-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 14946678)
Get yourself "a guy", or do the installation yourself.

As others have said, the DIY is super simple. You'll learn something out of it too.
I personally wouldn't get the kit with H&R race springs. I haven't used them personally - but people who have experience with many suspension setups, and value their ride comfort have been overall dissapointed with them (or so I've heard). If you do end up getting them - let us know how they feel!

I want as much simple performance as possible and though I like a nice ride I'm not afraid of a performance ride as long as I have the handling to back it up.

I'm not afraid of the work, I am afraid of the springs though because I don't have a compressor and that job is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I'm wondering if I paid a shop to put the springs on the parts and then just bolt the parts on my self and go get an alignment

ac_2007 12-03-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14947304)
I want as much simple performance as possible and though I like a nice ride I'm not afraid of a performance ride as long as I have the handling to back it up.

I'm not afraid of the work, I am afraid of the springs though because I don't have a compressor and that job is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I'm wondering if I paid a shop to put the springs on the parts and then just bolt the parts on my self and go get an alignment

Its not really dangerous if you use the tools properly. Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of spring compressors. In Canada, the equivalent store is Princess Auto.

I did the springs on my winter beater Neon R/T just a few weeks ago, which has 4 struts (as opposed to the E46's two) - and the previous owner managed to fit taller mismatched springs on all 4 struts - meaning they were super compressed.

I used these, which are great because they have a spring safety lock: http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8023104/

After you're done, just return them and it only cost you your time. I have no idea what a shop would charge but I'd imagine $20 per strut, so you could do that as well.

Steven747 12-03-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14946511)
If your suspension is leaking or feels bad they will fail you.

lol thats stupid and ridiculous .. cant imagine cali having that. so many cars prob dont even have a full suspension :lmao:

PrecisionX 12-04-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven747 (Post 14949001)
lol thats stupid and ridiculous .. cant imagine cali having that. so many cars prob dont even have a full suspension :lmao:

If anything isn't functioning like it "should" the cars previous years inspection sticker will get cut in half so they know you've failed. They will force you to make repairs from the initial shop that failed you. Not sure if they will even notice anything because my suspension is original and I'm at 62k.