E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tranny failure after 100k from fluid change ?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958838)

Orchazum 12-02-2012 10:26 AM

tranny failure after 100k from fluid change ??

Hello my fellow e46r's got a question. Now I have seen many threads of transmission failure when changing out the fluids after 100k . I am currently at 117k and was told about 6 months or so ago ky tranny had good fluid in it. The question here is should I ? I don't want failure , current money troubles would make that car an ornament in my driveway if it did fail . Fluid still looks in good condition as of a few days ago.

Do i run the risk of failure upon changing fluids at current mileage or do i just leave it be ?
If left alone how long will it last ?

There is no slippage currently (knock on wood) no problems at all.

BMWCaptain 12-02-2012 10:31 AM

Search and you will find your answer.

limpiabota809 12-02-2012 10:38 AM

This is a good question as I am contemplating tranny fluid change as well and I'm sitting on 112k...general consensus is to change it, so I'm leaning towards changing it...going to speak to some shops and of course bringing my own fluid

Orchazum 12-02-2012 10:48 AM

If the fluid has been previously changed I won't know, car fax doesn't say a whole lot, hell I have a reman alternator not on there . If the fluid has been changed, what is the failure rate hmmm

HacksawMark 12-02-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchazum (Post 14944483)
Hello my fellow e46r's got a question. Now I have seen many threads of transmission failure when changing out the fluids after 100k . I am currently at 117k and was told about 6 months or so ago ky tranny had good fluid in it. The question here is should I ? I don't want failure , current money troubles would make that car an ornament in my driveway if it did fail . Fluid still looks in good condition as of a few days ago.

Do i run the risk of failure upon changing fluids at current mileage or do i just leave it be ?
If left alone how long will it last ?

There is no slippage currently (knock on wood) no problems at all.

Hmmm, I would think that if the fluid change is done correctly with the right fluids, the chances of fluid-caused failure would be near zero. Any failure from that point on would be from non-fluid causes.

shadow 2 12-02-2012 11:00 AM

There must be 50 threads on this issue. Search! You won't get a definitive answer and will be taking a chance no matter what you do. I changed my fluids over 40k miles ago with no issues either before or after the change.

cvx5832 12-02-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchazum (Post 14944483)
Fluid still looks in good condition as of a few days ago.

Out of curiosity, how did you check the transmission fluid?

Orchazum 12-02-2012 01:45 PM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=438667

the answer i wanted.

wasp9166 12-02-2012 01:50 PM

new fluid does not ruin a tranny, neglect, improper use and flushing ruin a tranny

jfoj 12-02-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacksawmark (Post 14944509)
Hmmm, I would think that if the fluid change is done correctly with the right fluids, the chances of fluid-caused failure would be near zero. Any failure from that point on would be from non-fluid causes.

This IS the correct answer!!

Guaranteed you will NOT have a fluid related failure from changing the fluid.

Usually people think they if they change the fluid on a high mileage transmission it will sort out problems they are currently having.

Only problem it is about 50-75k miles too late for new fluid to help matters!

bumere46 12-02-2012 02:26 PM

you won't.
I did it on many of my cars and never had a problem

SteadyMobbin 12-02-2012 02:45 PM

Slush or stick?

wasp9166 12-02-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin (Post 14944933)
Slush or stick?

slush is assumed, as when a manual fails it's usually the clutch, throw out etc

Orchazum 12-02-2012 03:42 PM

Decision made. To change.

It is a slush :( driven as a stick all the time though. Just couldnt find a 330 without it being beat to death with a stick.

If it ever fails 6 speed swap def. It would cost around the same if i did it myself vs shop putting in a new AT

auto180sx 12-02-2012 04:32 PM

Be sure to change the filter too!!!

lucky_doggg7 12-02-2012 04:56 PM

Here is my 2 cents, if you are one of those types of fellahs who is easy on their car, meaning that you roll onto the accelerator nice and easy all the time and you don't spin up the motor to redline 20 times a day, changing the ATF might be okay, but, if you're in the crowd that treats the accelerator like a light switch each and every time your foot hits the accelerator, and you spin it up to redline 100 times a day, then reconsider the flush. The harder one leans on the car, the clutch packs work harder and thus experience more wear. The abrasive clutch pack particles get carried away by the ATF and accumulates making life even harder on the clutch packs. If the clutch packs are too worn, the worn clutch pack will now rely on the abrasive clutch pack particles floating around in the ATF to help it grab so to speak. Now if one pressure flushes out all the abrasive filled ATF with new "slippery" ATF, the worn clutch packs will slip even more thereby shortening their life sooner; at some point, the clutch pack will fail to hold, and as an added bonus, in this degradation process, the temperature will rise in the box, the ATF gets cooked/burned and itself becomes a less effective lube. It's a wicked circle. So again, if your driving style/habit is of an easy nature, you might just be okay, but if you beat your sled, perhaps letting a sleeping dog lie, as the saying goes, is a better choice.

Orchazum 12-02-2012 05:07 PM

Oh a filter change is certainly on that list. I feel it would be like changing the oil without changing the filter

I drive my car normally , I like to get on her at least once a week though . Most of the miles on my car are highway though. Out of the 40k I did last year. 60 % is highway.

SHOoff11 12-02-2012 06:24 PM

I just changed the filter, fluid, and diff oil in my automatic at 136k, there was a world of difference in shifting afterwards.

jfoj 12-02-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOoff11 (Post 14945361)
I just changed the filter, fluid, and diff oil in my automatic at 136k, there was a world of difference in shifting afterwards.

+1

Fluid friction and lube properties break down with heat over time.

Fluid change is good!

DOB2009 12-02-2012 06:53 PM

Mine died twice under 60k miles. Granted the 2nd time was due to a poor rebuild. I eventually just bought a low mileage 330i used tranny which has been running strong and cost about the same as a rebuild. I've had bad luck with trannys though. I also had it go in my Integra GSR a few months before my e46, and had 4 failures on an 93 celica GT about 10 years ago. Again it was a crappy rebuild that kept failing. I have had terrible luck with rebuilds.