E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Installing laminate Floor in my apt (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=959205)

Hockeyman17 12-04-2012 01:34 PM

Installing laminate Floor in my apt

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I know I've been absent for a while, I've discovered reddit, and it takes up most of my free time.

I replaced the old scratched up cheap engineered hardwood and replaced with a nice chocolate rosewood laminate. I also installed new baseboards. I had to sand and repaint the wall because the baseboards were lower. I would not suggest replacing baseboards with smaller ones, you are creating a lot of extra work for yourself.

Hockeyman17 12-04-2012 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can take more photos once I'm done cleaning everything up. Also the baseboards still need to be painted to clean up some of the seams

Hockeyman17 12-04-2012 01:42 PM

Feel free to ask any questions. I am very happy with the end product

sea6speed 12-04-2012 05:29 PM

Interesting choice on the baseboards. They look very traditional for a modern apartment, especially if you're leaving them white. The floor color looks good with the window frames, the baseboard really stands out and says "this is where the room ENDS". That style is more common in suburban homes where there is nothing worth looking at outside the window.

Raymond42262 12-04-2012 05:32 PM

It looks good.

Hockeyman17 12-04-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea6speed (Post 14951411)
Interesting choice on the baseboards. They look very traditional for a modern apartment, especially if you're leaving them white. The floor color looks good with the window frames, the baseboard really stands out and says "this is where the room ENDS". That style is more common in suburban homes where there is nothing worth looking at outside the window.

This is in a high rise apt building. Tomorrow I will paint all of the baseboards as well as the window sills you see in the pic and the door frames. I think it will clean it up even more with those matching

sea6speed 12-05-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 (Post 14951932)
This is in a high rise apt building. Tomorrow I will paint all of the baseboards as well as the window sills you see in the pic and the door frames. I think it will clean it up even more with those matching

Great! I'm sick of that "white trim on everything" style. We're starting to tackle a remodel of a modern house and this is one of the big mistakes I've seen on similar jobs.

BimmersGarage 12-05-2012 10:39 AM

Great job!
I use to not like dark colors for wood flooring... but it does give the room a classic look&feel.

NCLee 12-05-2012 10:51 AM

Ugh. I know what you mean about using the shorter baseboards. I installed some hardwood and replaced stair treads in my 105 year old house, and some of the original baseboard was damaged. You can't just go to Home Depot and buy that old 8" baseboard!
I didn't want to sand and re-paint the whole length of the wall, so I ended up making my own baseboard. I needed two router bits to recreate the pattern of the original, and it looks close enough. I would not have been willing to do more than about 10 feet of that though!

SLVR JDM 12-05-2012 11:04 AM

Looks great!
I happen to like all white trim - simple and clean. I don't know what other color you would make it unless it is simply a wood stained color, which I don't happen to like (though I do have some of it in my own house that I've left alone since it looks good in certain circumstances).

sea6speed 12-05-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLVR JDM (Post 14953404)
Looks great!
I happen to like all white trim - simple and clean. I don't know what other color you would make it unless it is simply a wood stained color, which I don't happen to like (though I do have some of it in my own house that I've left alone since it looks good in certain circumstances).

Yeah, except you rarely see it used in modern designs to contrast against both the walls and floors. If the walls were white it wouldn't stand out so much. As it is, it's like he's trying to make the place look traditional despite the wall of windows.

DylloS 12-07-2012 02:17 PM

looks awesome

SamDoe1 12-07-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea6speed (Post 14953787)
Yeah, except you rarely see it used in modern designs to contrast against both the walls and floors. If the walls were white it wouldn't stand out so much. As it is, it's like he's trying to make the place look traditional despite the wall of windows.

What's typically used in modern designs?

sea6speed 12-07-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14960122)

Flat molding painted same color as wall or floor. The idea is to not draw your eye to the edge but to have it blend. It makes the room look bigger.

Something like this you barely notice it's there. If the walls were dark with the white trim this room would look like a small cave.

http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/1/...424768_3_0.jpg

sea6speed 12-07-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14960122)

Flat molding painted same color as wall or floor. The idea is to not draw your eye to the edge but to have it blend. It makes the room look bigger.

Something like this you barely notice it's there. If the walls were dark with the white trim this room would look like a small cave.

http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/1/...424768_3_0.jpg

rohde88 12-10-2012 10:45 AM

is it fastened to the ground at all? my apartment has similar laminate flooring and theres one spot where it rises up and you can feel it go "flat" by 1/2" when you step on it.

Hockeyman17 12-10-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohde88 (Post 14966492)
is it fastened to the ground at all? my apartment has similar laminate flooring and theres one spot where it rises up and you can feel it go "flat" by 1/2" when you step on it.

There's one spot where the concrete has a dip and you can notice at the bottom of the baseboard. It makes a light 'clack' when you step on that spot. My uncle is coming by this week to see what he can do

rohde88 12-10-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 (Post 14966764)
There's one spot where the concrete has a dip and you can notice at the bottom of the baseboard. It makes a light 'clack' when you step on that spot. My uncle is coming by this week to see what he can do

Yep, thats exactly what I mean.

If you can put some padding i.e. carpet backing or foam, it would probably fix it.

SamDoe1 12-10-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea6speed (Post 14960673)

The picture you took seems like kind of an exception though. For starters the room is huge with very large windows which make it seem large no matter what color is on the wall.

Second, that room has light paint and what appears to be white baseboards and no trim around the windows.

Third, flat paint on trim would not be very durable at all... I wouldn't go any lower than satin paint for trim pieces and especially baseboards.

Last, we have an accent wall in my house painted dark blue. What color trim would you recommend to go on there? Currently the whole house is natural oak and I'm not a fan.

sea6speed 12-12-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14967434)
The picture you took seems like kind of an exception though. For starters the room is huge with very large windows which make it seem large no matter what color is on the wall.

Second, that room has light paint and what appears to be white baseboards and no trim around the windows.

Third, flat paint on trim would not be very durable at all... I wouldn't go any lower than satin paint for trim pieces and especially baseboards.

Last, we have an accent wall in my house painted dark blue. What color trim would you recommend to go on there? Currently the whole house is natural oak and I'm not a fan.

The room isn't as big as it looks. I've driven by the house a few times, and it's more the open layout that emphasizes size - and the fact that the house spans the lot lengthwise. From the outside anyway, the windows don't seem that large - but from that side it's painted gray.

Dunno on the blue wall, I'm not much of a designer. I'm just in the process of figuring out how to restore a modern house we bought without screwing up the original style. So, if you were to ask about what to do with a blue wall in a mid-century modern house, I'd have some idea. Other than that I'm clueless.