E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Clutch slipping.... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=959381)

Tom/// 12-05-2012 02:50 PM

Clutch slipping....
 
Well....my 33ci has 143k miles on it and I noticed a couple days ago at a stoplight I revved it up let the clutch out and no go with the car until I let of the throttle for a bit then it engaged. The car will drive fine normally, only two cases when I dropped the clutch at high rpm, which I have done before.

My indy mechanic says its a 6 hour job, can't use the stock flywheel (shave it down he says), so a new flywheel is a little over 1k. I mentioned a ltw aluminum flywheel he said it chatters and is rough when driving. Does this sound right pricing etc...?

I like my car, Dinan stage 3 suspension, but its got some age on it.


Tom

E36bimmer 12-05-2012 03:03 PM

Can you buy your parts and then give them to the shop to install?

you will save a boatload on the flywheel and clutchkit, also do you know if your indy mechanic has experience with BMW E46 clutches? if its his first try I would think twice about giving it to them to replace.

Tom/// 12-05-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36bimmer (Post 14954318)
Can you buy your parts and then give them to the shop to install?

you will save a boatload on the flywheel and clutchkit, also do you know if your indy mechanic has experience with BMW E46 clutches? if its his first try I would think twice about giving it to them to replace.


Bringing in my own parts I am not sure, but he does REALLY know he stuff from e36's to e90's

What kind of deals on flywheels and clutchkits are out there?

Does 6hrs of labor @ $120 sound right?


Tom

ac_2007 12-06-2012 12:05 AM

OEM (DUAL MASS) flywheel and M5 clutch.

The original flywheel cannot be "shaven-down"

Jesse M 12-06-2012 09:27 AM

6 hours for a clutch is decent, but $120/hr. is nearly dealership rate..

nike001 12-06-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse M (Post 14956272)
6 hours for a clutch is decent, but $120/hr. is nearly dealership rate..

Where I live, that's $16/hr more than what my stealer charges. But OP is in the bay area where stealer hourly rates are probably outrageous.

pleiades 12-06-2012 07:33 PM

Search on partsgeek. com. I think for your car they should have the LuK RepSet clutch kit and a LuK flywheel. Those two parts together totaled $525 for me about half a year back, though I know prices have gone up. Partsgeek sent my parts from their LA warehouse in about 2 days, so for you, it should be faster (assuming they have what you need).

Tom/// 12-07-2012 10:35 AM

Thanks guys I am thinking of going Valeo single mass flywheel. The best labor rate I have found for the job is 700 bucks oy.


Tom

NOVAbimmer 12-07-2012 10:44 AM

yes, those numbers are about right.

Custom3 12-07-2012 11:03 AM

From what I read on here clutch rattles can be minimized greatly by using better clutch fluid...aka brake fluid. UUC website I believe sells it....I hate just thinking about the day I have to get my clutch replaced :( Im a DIY type of guy so spending almost 2k to have someone work on my car is going to hurt me. A clutch job is the only job I wouldnt want to do by myself.

SPDSKTR 12-07-2012 11:27 AM

www.oembimmerparts.com - You can have an OEM clutch and an OEM flywheel for $815 SHIPPED.

www.gripforce.com - Stage 1 Clutch and 16 lb. flywheel for $412 + shipping.

www.partsgeek.com - $656.20 for Sachs clutch + Luk flywheel OR $602.20 for Luk clutch + Luk flywheel

www.uucmotorwerks.com - Price will vary, but expect to spend ~$1,000.00, regardless of which route you take.

NOVAbimmer 12-07-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom3 (Post 14959346)
From what I read on here clutch rattles can be minimized greatly by using better clutch fluid...aka brake fluid. UUC website I believe sells it....I hate just thinking about the day I have to get my clutch replaced :( Im a DIY type of guy so spending almost 2k to have someone work on my car is going to hurt me. A clutch job is the only job I wouldnt want to do by myself.

heavier transmission fluid reduces the gear chatter that an ordinarily heavier flywheel masks.

Clutch fluid has nothing to do with it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use