E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Nurse in Kate Middleton hoax dies (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=959650)

BoogetyBoogety 12-07-2012 10:07 AM

Nurse in Kate Middleton hoax dies

I so despise terrestrial radio DJs and their puerile, juvenile antics, perhaps this won't stop them, but then again...

London (CNN) -- An employee at the hospital that was duped by a prank call from two Australian radio DJs concerning Prince William's pregnant wife, Catherine, has apparently committed suicide, the hospital confirmed Friday.

The employee, a member of the nursing staff, "was recently the victim of a hoax call," King Edward VII Hospital said in a media statement.

The DJs impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles in the prank call, in which some details of the Duchess of Cambridge's condition and care were given.

Audio of the call posted online suggested a receptionist spoke briefly to the DJs, who host a show for the 2Day FM radio station in Sydney, before the call was put through to a nurse.

The hospital said Wednesday that it deeply regretted the call had been put through early Tuesday morning.

The nurse found dead was the one who first received the prank call and transferred it to the duchess's ward. Her family has been contacted, the hospital said.

The radio show apologized for the call Wednesday, saying it "was done with light-hearted intentions."

The Duchess of Cambridge was discharged from the hospital Thursday after treatment for acute morning sickness.

MachRc 12-07-2012 10:09 AM

Wow she must of felt like she let the country down or something. SO sad.

edit: and after reading it again ..kind of dumb at the same time.

217Bimmer 12-07-2012 10:10 AM

buy bye radio station. you are about to get sued into the stone age.

if the nurse had done her job and not put the call through this could have all been avoided.

rip

Carskibum 12-07-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 217Bimmer (Post 14959191)
buy bye radio station. you are about to get sued into the stone age.

if the nurse had done her job and not put the call through this could have all been avoided.

rip

What's going to happen to the radio station, which is in another country? They most likely run a disclaimer that the personalities' actions and opinions don't reflect that of the radio station itself.

Very sad and I assume she was being laid off for the way she handled the call. BUT, we do not know the whole story. She have have had other things going on in her life.

217Bimmer 12-07-2012 10:19 AM

actually, i'm wondering if she even did anything wrong. whenever there is an accident in the paper they always release the condition of those involved, so i assume a newspaper or anyone can call a hospital and inquire about the condition of any patient.

evolved 12-07-2012 10:23 AM

Notice that the article does not make a correlation between the call and the motive behind the suicide. For all we know she was a disturbed person to begin with.

SLVR JDM 12-07-2012 10:26 AM

If that's what put her over the edge then she was unstable to begin with and probably was looking for another reason to follow through.
I really don't see the big deal anyway. I heard the call on a local morning show and it isn't like they revealed anything much anyway.

Custom3 12-07-2012 10:26 AM

suicide? sure...Wouldnt be surprised if she was assassinated. Conspiracy theory!!!

IdahoToyo 12-07-2012 10:31 AM

Damn...that's a bit sad. But suicide is quite an extreme for this, the news would come out eventually...she very well might have had a per-existing condition.

And what will they be doing to as Australian radio station?! It's already on an island full of convicts as far as England is concerned.

Born Again 12-07-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved (Post 14959222)
Notice that the article does not make a correlation between the call and the motive behind the suicide. For all we know she was a disturbed person to begin with.

Exactly

Lets not jump to conclusions here.

Xcelratr 12-07-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 217Bimmer (Post 14959217)
actually, i'm wondering if she even did anything wrong. whenever there is an accident in the paper they always release the condition of those involved, so i assume a newspaper or anyone can call a hospital and inquire about the condition of any patient.

No. Patient confidentiality requires details of their medical condition be kept private.

If you notice those articles, the patients are often not identified when their condition is stated, or its put in the most generic terms. "Three people were treated and released, one is in critical condition."

Your medical state is no one's business but your own. In the case of public figures, it's often a dance between how much info their spokespeople release (or authorize the hospital to release) vs how much they keep private.

BoogetyBoogety 12-07-2012 10:51 AM

In a hospital long favored by the Royals and other luminaries as a result of their legendary discretion, the pressure on the Nurse to explain her actions must have been intense, and the shame palpable. Agreed that the reaction by the Nurse was extreme (a permanent solution to a temporary issue), but still, the worldwide derision she must have felt obviously weighed heavily on her. Now, maybe if the DJs went ahead and offed themselves, all would be right with the world... :rofl:

Carskibum 12-07-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcelratr (Post 14959255)
No. Patient confidentiality requires details of their medical condition be kept private.

If you notice those articles, the patients are often not identified when their condition is stated, or its put in the most generic terms. "Three people were treated and released, one is in critical condition."

Your medical state is no one's business but your own. In the case of public figures, it's often a dance between how much info their spokespeople release (or authorize the hospital to release) vs how much they keep private.

Bingo. In previous articles the administrators of the hospital were appalled at the way she handled the call. Here in states, unless the Dr or Rn is calling a number the patient provided for follow-up, they must ask for specifics before providing even simple information (DoB, Address, etc).

JonJon 12-07-2012 11:08 AM

Surely some crime was committed here that the DJs should be charged with.

It's should have never aired on the radio without the nurses consent either way

Carskibum 12-07-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14959360)

Maybe, but last I checked, Australia doesn't fly the British flag anymore so that would be pretty difficult.

I would say the gravest crime was ignoring patient confidentiality. BUT, from what I've read this was the receptionist type person who killed herself. The nurse, who the call was transferred to, ignored the rights of the patient and should face prosecution and expulsion.

david05111 12-07-2012 11:33 AM

Sucks, but was it forseeable by a reasonable person that the nurse would have committed suicide over this? I think not. Hell, she wasn't even the one who gave them the information; she merely transferred the call through.

I don't buy it...stupid prank, but not malicious and to impute liability for her death on them is pushing it way beyond reasonableness for me

Born Again 12-07-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14959360)

Could be coincidental

What about personal responsibility?

Really killing one self over a celebrity ?

I've heard u misuse Darwin

Why isn't this one of those misuses?

JonJon 12-07-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born Again (Post 14959447)
Could be coincidental

What about personal responsibility?

Really killing one self over a celebrity ?

I've heard u misuse Darwin

Why isn't this one of those misuses?

I've seen you repeatedly misspell "You"

evolved 12-07-2012 12:02 PM

The sexual tension between you two loverbirds is palpable.

Born Again 12-07-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14959524)
I've seen you repeatedly misspell "You"

I'm on my iPhone

It's okay to abbreviate :hi: