E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hit a deer tonight...Rough estimate to look for ? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=959745)

328iguy24 12-08-2012 12:05 AM

Hit a deer tonight...Rough estimate to look for ?
 
I have a 2000 328i sedan with 145,xxx miles in "fair" condition id say. The kelly blue book states the cars worth roughly $4,100. Im hoping they total the car out and i can buy it back but idk if the damage is enough. The damage done was

Driver side Fender.
Driver side corner light
Im assuming the mounting brackets and what not for the fender.
Driver side door
+ Paint ( oriental blue )
+ Labor
And i told them i want it done at a local BMW Dealership.

Any idea on a rough estimate with all of this done

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMAG0105.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMAG0103.jpg

Stinger9 12-08-2012 12:09 AM

We do much better with pics.
Thanks for adding them in!

HacksawMark 12-08-2012 12:10 AM

Don't have a clue but dude, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it works out the way you want it to.

RKiepper 12-08-2012 12:19 AM

The door repair is going to be the kicker here, paint will be $1K or so.

This is done by the dealer though.

If I were to do this, it'd be less then $500 to get it done right.

328iguy24 12-08-2012 12:30 AM

I do have pics and ill upload tom. I have work in 3 hours lol. I use to have a 97 vw jetta n had got hit very lighty in the fender and the repair cost was almost $1400. In a way i hope they total it n i can buy it back for parts but well see i guess. AnywY it would run about $3.5k?

Saintluk2 12-08-2012 02:34 AM

If you could do it again could you have avoided the deer ?

jayb328i 12-08-2012 03:38 AM

$2000 with new door and repair fender. If new fender is needed closer to $3000. Add $1000 if dealer does work.

Sent from my XT907 using Bimmer App

RayPooley 12-08-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328iguy24 (Post 14961036)
I have a 2000 328i sedan with 145,xxx miles in "fair" condition id say. The kelly blue book states the cars worth roughly $4,100. Im hoping they total the car out and i can buy it back but idk if the damage is enough. The damage done was

Driver side Fender.
Driver side corner light
Im assuming the mounting brackets and what not for the fender.
Driver side door
+ Paint ( oriental blue )
+ Labor
And i told them i want it done at a local BMW Dealership.

Any idea on a rough estimate with all of this done

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMAG0105.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMAG0103.jpg

I had a side swipe in my E36 a few years ago. Same damage as yours except for the door. I included new bumper in mine. Cost at an indie bodyshop was 800 ($1200). But I have to say that the new body part prices I paid were about a quarter of the prices quoted on realoem.com for body parts. The fender was 34 (50). Realoem is quoting $317???? Ouch. I wouldn't rule out indie body shops. It might make the difference between keeping it on the road or writing it off. Shop around.

328iguy24 12-08-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintluk2 (Post 14961275)
If you could do it again could you have avoided the deer ?

Honestly no. The deer ran right into the car
.

100mileperhour 12-08-2012 05:55 AM

Independent Body Shop
 
If it were me, I would fine the local "Independent" body shop in your area. I find that the I use does a lot better job, than the "Stealerships." Plus, just from the pictures, I don't think you'll find your damages all that bad.

I'm struggling with the fact, my 2000 BMW doesn't have collision insurance on a nearly 13 year old car. Knock on wood, I haven't had any incidents. That being said, i'm doomed.

Seriously seek out a independent shop.

Megalocnus 12-08-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100mileperhour (Post 14961463)
If it were me, I would fine the local "Independent" body shop in your area. I find that the I use does a lot better job, than the "Stealerships." Plus, just from the pictures, I don't think you'll find your damages all that bad.

I'm struggling with the fact, my 2000 BMW doesn't have collision insurance on a nearly 13 year old car. Knock on wood, I haven't had any incidents. That being said, i'm doomed.

Seriously seek out a independent shop.

He wants his car totaled, why should he seek out an independent shop?

shovelit 12-08-2012 12:08 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now. My damage doesn't look anywhere near as severe as yours. I took it to a local indy for an estimate. This guy is an artist and his work is amazing. He even offered to have the insurance adjuster see the car at his shop so they could go over the damage together so the estimate would be right. This is key because if the adjuster misses a lot of hidden damage the estimate will be much lower than the actual repair cost. Then, once the work get's started, the repair shop will have to submit a "supplement" to the ins co for the rest of the work. This can make the difference between a total or a repair. I would suggest you do the same. My damage just looked like a hood and grills but after they looked at it closely it ended up being $2000. Lots of broken plastic pieces and such.
Good luck.

xi_ter 12-08-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintluk2 (Post 14961275)
If you could do it again could you have avoided the deer ?

In Canada, insurance companies will cover damage from hitting a deer but not from losing control of the car as a result of trying to avoid the deer.

rube 12-08-2012 12:52 PM

OK This is a easy fix, find a door n fender craigeslist,junkyard,here classifieds the door should run around $150-250 fender $50-100 light $25 find a shop willin to paint door $100 fender $60 hang the parts yourself easy, the paint should run $100 if it was me i'll charge you $650 for everything this is nothing BTW' I work at a bodyshop I do this for a livin to bad you dont live in south florida

09f800st 12-08-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 14961943)
In Canada, insurance companies will cover damage from hitting a deer but not from losing control of the car as a result of trying to avoid the deer.

/\ /\

:thumbup:
That's an excellent point!
Your insurance will not reward you for "missing" the deer and slamming into oncoming traffic, or hitting the ditch to aviod contact. We instruct all our drivers to ALWAYS maintain control of the vehicle regardless. Stay in your lane, brake with authority, and hang on.

aahmed2016 12-08-2012 05:51 PM

Sorry, but I have no idea as to where you are located, If you are near GA, I have a guy who has his own body shop, and is very good with automotive painting and such. I believe his estimate will be about 150 a panel. (as was his estimate to paint my hood, and front bumper) He's a reasonable guy, and will have the paint match. :) :thumbsup: good luck man.

fraser19 12-08-2012 10:32 PM

I got hit be a deer last month.
He t-boned me on the high way. I am also Canadian and I have significantly less damage and we are at 4000 in the est.

MercForHire 12-08-2012 11:25 PM

You should collect the deer, sell its pelt and anklers to rich asian women and that should be enough to pay for the repairs.
Tell them to hang them on their walls to dispel evil ancient Chinese spirits.

328iguy24 12-08-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelit (Post 14961942)
I'm going through the same thing right now. My damage doesn't look anywhere near as severe as yours. I took it to a local indy for an estimate. This guy is an artist and his work is amazing. He even offered to have the insurance adjuster see the car at his shop so they could go over the damage together so the estimate would be right. This is key because if the adjuster misses a lot of hidden damage the estimate will be much lower than the actual repair cost. Then, once the work get's started, the repair shop will have to submit a "supplement" to the ins co for the rest of the work. This can make the difference between a total or a repair. I would suggest you do the same. My damage just looked like a hood and grills but after they looked at it closely it ended up being $2000. Lots of broken plastic pieces and such.
Good luck.

My one friend had mentioned this to me at work too. I think i may go this route if they dont just cut me a check and give it to me.


Quote:

Originally Posted by fraser19 (Post 14963351)
I got hit be a deer last month.
He t-boned me on the high way. I am also Canadian and I have significantly less damage and we are at 4000 in the est.

Do you have any pictures you can post of your damage ? And what year is your e46 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercForHire (Post 14963411)
You should collect the deer, sell its pelt and anklers to rich asian women and that should be enough to pay for the repairs.
Tell them to hang them on their walls to dispel evil ancient Chinese spirits.

:rofl:

328iguy24 12-08-2012 11:36 PM

I must say driving my car right now with all this damage is pretty embarrassing :facepalm: I cant wait to get it fixed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use