E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Let's discuss chocolate milk! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=960132)

M3Inline6 12-10-2012 12:07 PM

Let's discuss chocolate milk!
 
There have been many articles that have surfaced about the benefits of chocolate milk as a PWO alternative to protein shakes, gels, etc. I gave it a try yesterday, but the jury is still out. I'm going to implement chocolate milk for PWO for the next 30 days and document the results/affect. Let's hear your thoughts gentlemen.

jmcdolej 12-10-2012 12:15 PM

I hate chocolate milk sooooooo much!!!!

evolved 12-10-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 14966555)
I hate chocolate milk sooooooo much!!!!

How does one hate chocolate milk?? :loco:

NOVAbimmer 12-10-2012 12:30 PM

I love chocolate milk

bimmerchop 12-10-2012 12:31 PM

Mmmmm

DylloS 12-10-2012 12:32 PM

I think it's pretty good but with half the protein as regular shakes I think it's inferior in that department. I'm not sure if the extra sugar does more than the extra protein of a regular shake would though so I can't really say what is "better". I think a whey shake in whole milk might be the best of both worlds.

Silversixspeed 12-10-2012 12:39 PM

How much are you drinking each time?

M3Inline6 12-10-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silversixspeed (Post 14966667)
How much are you drinking each time?

12 oz.


Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 14966627)
I think it's pretty good but with half the protein as regular shakes I think it's inferior in that department. I'm not sure if the extra sugar does more than the extra protein of a regular shake would though so I can't really say what is "better". I think a whey shake in whole milk might be the best of both worlds.

I've never experienced any appreciable gains from whey protein drinks (..causing me to believe that it's a waste of money for me), so I'm wondering if I will fare better with chocolate milk. I felt really good this morning. "Supposedly" consuming the chocolate milk reduced PWO muscle soreness. When I left the gym yesterday, I WAS WRECKED. No soreness today.....at all!

rjskalet 12-10-2012 12:55 PM

Since I believe sugar does play a part in helping the break down of proteins I usually add a half cup of sugar to my protein shake just so it is sweet like chocolate milk would be.

DylloS 12-10-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3Inline6 (Post 14966700)
12 oz.




I've never experienced any appreciable gains from whey protein drinks (..causing me to believe that it's a waste of money for me), so I'm wondering if I will fare better with chocolate milk.

I'm very much in the same boat as you but I drink them just to get the protein in quicker or when I need more. I really think my body composition would be the same if I stopped taking it though. I'm not quite sure why I keep spending $50 every few months. I guess it's not terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjskalet (Post 14966712)
Since I believe sugar does play a part in helping the break down of proteins I usually add a half cup of sugar to my protein shake just so it is sweet like chocolate milk would be.

half a cup? That seems like a lot.

Bimmer4Lyfe 12-10-2012 01:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KywvdyDlhKg

Charlescrs6 12-10-2012 01:04 PM

I guess the insulin spike PWO is OK. Would never work for me though as I'm Lactose Intolerant.

dabears 12-10-2012 02:12 PM

I think its a great combo of protein + simple carbs for PWO... but I believe whey is still superior for PWO shakes.

My postworkout shake is 1.5 cups of this:

http://jezlyn.files.wordpress.com/20...5001.jpg?w=477

With 2 scoops of

http://eightpacksecrets.com/wp-conte.../chocolate.jpg

it is the most delicious shake I've ever had, and packs fast dissolving 48g of protein and 35g of carbs, perfect for PWO.

M3Inline6 12-10-2012 02:20 PM

There was a study that claimed that the body only needed approximately 12-16g of protein PWO to maximize recovery.

B_Cyrus 12-10-2012 02:29 PM

Interesting. I started doing this about two weeks ago. A friend of mine went to a Boise State Football camp for two weeks, and after every practice and workout they gave them these bottles of chocolate milk. I know he has been doing it for a year and shows good results. Only bad thing are the milk poops/farts, but that is expected.

Silversixspeed 12-10-2012 02:39 PM

Just realized I've got maybe 1-2 scoops of protein powder left. Maybe this is a good time to also hop on the chocolate milk bandwagon..

DylloS 12-10-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silversixspeed (Post 14967087)
Just realized I've got maybe 1-2 scoops of protein powder left. Maybe this is a good time to also hop on the chocolate milk bandwagon..

give it a try

dabears 12-10-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3Inline6 (Post 14967035)
There was a study that claimed that the body only needed approximately 12-16g of protein PWO to maximize recovery.

I believe that, i include this shake as part of my total protein intake for the day though so need much more.

Glight 12-10-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Cyrus (Post 14967056)
Interesting. I started doing this about two weeks ago. A friend of mine went to a Boise State Football camp for two weeks, and after every practice and workout they gave them these bottles of chocolate milk. I know he has been doing it for a year and shows good results. Only bad thing are the milk poops/farts, but that is expected.

That's a bad thing? I always thought of it as one of the plusses....

DylloS 12-10-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glight (Post 14967193)
That's a bad thing? I always thought of it as one of the plusses....

I'm hanging out with a new girl so my milk timing is very strategic.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use