E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Get over wood trim? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=960382)

EmDeeAr 12-11-2012 07:41 PM

Get over wood trim?

Hey guys,

I've been searching around for the perfect 330, but I have yet to come across anything that fits my criteria (Admittedly, I've only been on the hunt for a few weeks.). A ZHP would be ideal, but I am open to ZSP package cars as well. However, most of the ZSP cars I have looked at have wood trim. Right now, wood trim is pretty much a deciding factor in me not buying a certain car. My previous E36 M3 had wood trim, and I despised it while I owned it. Nowadays, wood trim definitely isn't as big of a deal to me, but I still want the perfect car...

Should I just get over the issue of wood trim and pick up a car if it matches all or most of my other criteria? I'd really like to purchase a local car so that I can be confident in its condition. Mandating that my next car must not have wood trim is making this very difficult.

Or, should I stick it out and wait for the perfect car?

I know this is pretty subjective, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say. Pictures swaying me one way or another would be cool. :D

Thanks a lot!

stevenluczynski 12-11-2012 07:50 PM

you can switch out the trim

EmDeeAr 12-11-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenluczynski (Post 14971603)
you can switch out the trim

Yeah I know but I went through that whole process with my M3.... not something I wish to deal with again. It entailed taking the whole console apart, which was just a pain.

I found this actually: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=25

Thanks.

Opinions still welcome.

JasonCote 12-11-2012 08:07 PM

Just pop off with a flat head covered in cloth or a plastic pry bar. Very very easy.

SK8URDEAD 12-11-2012 08:16 PM

hmm never seen wood trim in person lol. every bmw i looked at had silver and so was mine untill i wrapped it in CF. its like super easy to remove to buy one can of plasti dip($7) and then primer the trim($3-$5) then a other can of the color of your choice and clear coat. should be cheaper then $20.

EmDeeAr 12-11-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCote (Post 14971651)
Just pop off with a flat head covered in cloth or a plastic pry bar. Very very easy.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=25

Seems harder than that... for the doors at least...

Andy2108 12-11-2012 08:34 PM

Sport package got silver trim. However premium got wood trim, and the wood took precedence over the silver.

Swapping / modding the pieces on the dash and around the shifter is a piece of cake. However, to get the armrests off of the door you have to take the door card off.

theOCHO 12-11-2012 08:58 PM

Just hold out and get the ZHP if you're looking for the perfect car. Mine has silver cubes and other BMW guys ask to buy it off me all the time. That never happened when I had my old 330ci with myrtle.

Also, who the hell cares about trim? Get some Di-Noc and call it a day.

SK8URDEAD 12-11-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy2108 (Post 14971720)
Sport package got silver trim. However premium got wood trim, and the wood took precedence over the silver.

Swapping / modding the pieces on the dash and around the shifter is a piece of cake. However, to get the armrests off of the door you have to take the door card off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmDeeAr (Post 14971702)
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=25

Seems harder than that... for the doors at least...

Thats why you get a Sedan over a coupe :P coupes you have arm rest trouble. sedans its a simple trim on the doors which is why i said its super easy to remove lol.

EmDeeAr 12-11-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD (Post 14971802)
Thats why you get a Sedan over a coupe :P coupes you have arm rest trouble. sedans its a simple trim on the doors which is why i said its super easy to remove lol.

Oh swaaag. I tend to like sedans more anyway :D

Ok, well I'll definitely start considering sedans with wood trim.

As far as coupes go, I just don't want the hassle of having to take everything apart. Went through that before, and it's part of the reason I got tired of the car.

Thanks for the info guys.

TonyJ 12-11-2012 10:47 PM

What's wrong with wood trim? The E46 is an old car so wood trim matches its age and feels classy. In fact I dislike fake carbon fibre even more. It just screams try too hard.

peytonracer4 12-11-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD (Post 14971802)

Word.
If pressed, I could completely remove all the trim in my car in under 10 minutes.
Yay sedans

EmDeeAr 12-12-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14972039)
Word.
If pressed, I could completely remove all the trim in my car in under 10 minutes.
Yay sedans

Nice!

Thanks again for all the input.

Mango 12-12-2012 09:44 AM

The door panel (not card :/ ) has to come off anyway when you do the regulators. Wood trim can look nice anyway

k20z1 L 12-12-2012 09:52 AM

I hate wood trim.. Not too hard either I think it's worth it

Danoff 12-12-2012 10:21 AM

Wood has no place in cars. I don't care if we're talking BMW or Pagani. I held out for a ZSP without wood, but I nearly bought one with wood and swapped it out. If you find the right car, don't let the wood hold you back, but make sure you don't get lazy and just put up with it after you buy it. It's worth it to put the time in to really enjoy your car.

Ruthlessone3k 12-12-2012 10:24 AM

If you decide to get rid of the wood trim, let me know I'm interested. I love the wood trim.

System77 12-29-2012 06:34 PM

to each their own, I recently purchased my first e46 and was very happy that I sourced one out with the wood trim. I think the aluminum and carbon looks a bit tacky myself.. Some solid maple wood trim would be even nicer. But then again Im a guitar fanatic too so I like the look and feel of real wood.

esberelias 12-29-2012 07:03 PM

Easiest thing i've ever done on the E46 is take off the trim.... very simple and you can just get them wrapped pretty cheap too

Dood1804 12-29-2012 07:11 PM

Take your time looking, I finny found one with black enterior and silver trim and it was worth waiting for the perfect car.