E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jon Hammer - sits in a jail cell in Mexico for trying to do the right thing. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=960900)

pancakes 12-15-2012 05:57 AM

Jon Hammer - sits in a jail cell in Mexico for trying to do the right thing.

cliffs: guy plans trip to Costa Rica, clears heirloom shotgun w/ US customs who tell him to make sure he registers it in Mexico, takes it to Mexico to register it and was promptly arrested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...return-US.html

floydlloyd85 12-15-2012 06:25 AM

. Similar circumstances to SAS trooper danny nightingale.

Lemonsqr 12-15-2012 09:41 AM

Messed up facts in that story....was it a rifle or shotgun? Both are mentioned. Kid should have checked and double checked Mexi laws on guns before doing this. He trusted the US government (border agents) too much and now is left to fend for himself. The US state department should step in since they are partially at fault. Ultimately I blame the kid for not doing his homework.

JonJon 12-15-2012 10:20 AM

Same thing happened to my buddy in Afghanistan. Locked up in a dirty cell for 5 months...

DME46 12-15-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonsqr (Post 14981887)
Messed up facts in that story....was it a rifle or shotgun? Both are mentioned. Kid should have checked and double checked Mexi laws on guns before doing this. He trusted the US government (border agents) too much and now is left to fend for himself. The US state department should step in since they are partially at fault. Ultimately I blame the kid for not doing his homework.

He must have missed doing that research in between PTSD from his friend being killed in Iraq, serving our country, and doing the right thing by attempting to register his gun.

Damn, what a dumbass kid.

MDydinanM 12-15-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

How is the State Dept partially at fault?

roastbeef 12-15-2012 11:11 AM

guns in mexico are a big no-no.

NOVAbimmer 12-15-2012 11:16 AM

ban mexico

Xcelratr 12-15-2012 11:17 AM

Wonder if $5,000 cash and a quiet conversation over in the corner would solve this.

I feel bad for the kid, especially given all he's gone through. Jailing him when he declared it at the border crossing seems kinda excessive. Seems like if he's declaring it, the whole point is that he's asking permission to bring it into the country. They can refuse permission, confiscate it, tell him he's gotta return it to the US before he can enter or whatever. Jailing him for essentially asking permission sounds wacky to me.

Given the editorial tone of the article, I wonder if there are any key pieces of info being left out.

I hope his family and the Consulate can get him out of there soon.

pancakes 12-15-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Messed up facts in that story....was it a rifle or shotgun? Both are mentioned.

rifle
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...31_634x351.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastbeef (Post 14982051)

sounds like the only problem with this one was it's length. :dunno:

Lemonsqr 12-15-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DME46 (Post 14981949)
He must have missed doing that research in between PTSD from his friend being killed in Iraq, serving our country, and doing the right thing by attempting to register his gun.

Damn, what a dumbass kid.

Show me where PTSD makes it difficult to search laws, call authorities and make sure it is OK to transport and carry a firearm in a foriegn country. The fact that he was a soldier has nothing to do with what happened, so dont drag that into it.

I agree that he tried to do the right thing by registering the weapon (and commend him), but when dealing with touchy areas such as weapons, drugs and alcohol, you had better know your international laws if you want to transport legally across borders. But for the record, I dont think he should be in jail, given the facts in the story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 14981983)
How is the State Dept partially at fault?

The guy was told by US border agents/customs (trained by the US gov, maybe not the State Department directly) that he could do it and all he needed to do was register the gun, but did not go into details such as to be careful of the length of barrel, type of gun, etc. thats where the Mexi cops got him....Mostly though (from only reading the story), it seems like the Mexi gov is busting his balls. It IS a bad situation and I dont think he should be in jail.

MDydinanM 12-15-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonsqr (Post 14982065)
The guy was told by US border agents/customs (trained by the US gov, maybe not the State Department directly) that he could do it and all he needed to do was register the gun, but did not go into details such as to be careful of the length of barrel, type of gun, etc. thats where the Mexi cops got him....Mostly though (from only reading the story), it seems like the Mexi gov is busting his balls. It IS a bad situation and I dont think he should be in jail.

So long as you realize State Dept and US Border Patrol are two separate agencies and State does not directly or indirectly train Border Patrol agents. State Dept's only role in this would be to mediate with the Mexican Govt to secure the release of the individual.

Grande D 12-15-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcelratr (Post 14982058)
Wonder if $5,000 cash and a quiet conversation over in the corner would solve this.

I feel bad for the kid, especially given all he's gone through. Jailing him when he declared it at the border crossing seems kinda excessive. Seems like if he's declaring it, the whole point is that he's asking permission to bring it into the country. They can refuse permission, confiscate it, tell him he's gotta return it to the US before he can enter or whatever. Jailing him for essentially asking permission sounds wacky to me.

Given the editorial tone of the article, I wonder if there are any key pieces of info being left out.

I hope his family and the Consulate can get him out of there soon.

I agree. And the story is awfully edited. It says "A surfing trip to Costa Rica has turned into a nightmare for a Marine veteran, who has been thrown into a Mexican where he is regularly shackled to his bed..."

No matter what anyone says that does effect its credibility. Any other sources on this?

5ynd1cat3 12-15-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastbeef (Post 14982051)

Thank God those cartel folks got that email. Things could have gotten out of hand.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

Xcelratr 12-15-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhp43867 (Post 14982185)
I agree. And the story is awfully edited. It says "A surfing trip to Costa Rica has turned into a nightmare for a Marine veteran, who has been thrown into a Mexican where he is regularly shackled to his bed..."

No matter what anyone says that does effect its credibility. Any other sources on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/13/us/mex...html?hpt=hp_c3

Doesn't include much more info.

Regarding the chaining, however, it does say this:

Quote:

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat from Florida, stepped in on Hammar's behalf, speaking to Mexico's ambassador to the United States. "We interceded to get him out of the general prison population," Nelson said.

This served to remove Hammar from contact with dangerous inmates.

The calls have since stopped, his mother said. "He is now being kept in a low ... intensity place, more like an administrative place," Nelson said.

But because of the low security of the new facility, which Olivia Hammar describes as a storage shed, officials periodically chain Hammar to his bed.
If that info is correct, it's disingenuous to try to rip the Mexicans for "chaining him to his bed".

pancakes 12-21-2012 10:03 PM

released today :thumbsup:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12...-prison-today/

Reedo302 12-22-2012 12:10 AM

I was very happy when I heard this news. I also like to think that it was because we threatened Mexico somehow, but I know that wasn't the case.