E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How to dress for an interview (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=961433)

kgregory 12-18-2012 09:59 AM

How to dress for an interview
 
I'm going to interview for the position as assistant head of my group of about 30 people tomorrow and I'm having trouble deciding how to dress. My concern is that if I throw on a simple suit and tie, that I will be very overdressed since my boss (the group head) typically wears jeans, an oxford shirt, and a blazer. Does anyone have advice for me here?

2000_328CI 12-18-2012 10:02 AM

I work for a start up tech company in DC (roughly 60 people) so perhaps this will help.

My office is VERY casual. Standard outfit is khaki slacks/button down, jeans/sweater, and some sales people walking around in suits if they're meeting with clients...

I oversee a group of 7 and have hired everyone of them (and interviewed countless others)... any man who DIDN'T wear a suit for their interview would lose a point in my mind. Overdressing is NEVER a problem when it comes to interviews.... undressing, now that's a different story.

You can play it cool and wear dressy jeans, a button down, and a blazer/sport coat.. but I wouldn't run that risk unless you personally know the individuals you'll be interviewing with.

DylloS 12-18-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 14989779)
I work for a start up tech company in DC (roughly 60 people) so perhaps this will help.

My office is VERY casual. Standard outfit is khaki slacks/button down, jeans/sweater, and some sales people walking around in suits if they're meeting with clients...

I oversee a group of 7 and have hired everyone of them (and interviewed countless others)... any man who DIDN'T wear a suit for their interview would lose a point in my mind. Overdressing is NEVER a problem when it comes to interviews.... undressing, now that's a different story.

You can play it cool and wear dressy jeans, a button down, and a blazer/sport coat.. but I wouldn't run that risk unless you personally know the individuals you'll be interviewing with.


agreed

Show me 12-18-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 14989779)
any man who DIDN'T wear a suit for their interview would lose a point in my mind. Overdressing is NEVER a problem when it comes to interviews.... undressing, now that's a different story.

:werd:

evolved 12-18-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgregory (Post 14989773)
I'm going to interview for the position as assistant head of my group of about 30 people tomorrow and I'm having trouble deciding how to dress. My concern is that if I throw on a simple suit and tie, that I will be very overdressed since my boss (the group head) typically wears jeans, an oxford shirt, and a blazer. Does anyone have advice for me here?

No one will ever fault you for overdressing for an interview (unless you wear a tuxedo) whereas being underdressed will make you look sloppy and not so serious about the matter at hand.

chivo328 12-18-2012 10:27 AM

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a.../tuxreboot.jpg

JonJon 12-18-2012 10:36 AM

As a hiring manager.... I'll put it this way...

If you go for a job to be a lifeguard...


You wear a suit

Hedges 12-18-2012 10:38 AM

Let them know you mean business and you dont just like to give, but you also recieve!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...5ua5o1_500.png

bimmerfan08 12-18-2012 10:42 AM

Wear the suit. Dress to impress.

Rubenk 12-18-2012 10:46 AM

Wearing a suit is an antiquated idea that the world should move away from.

But realistically it is still expected, so you should probably wear one in order to give the best impression.

Carskibum 12-18-2012 10:49 AM

Classic Suit, none of this Andre 3000 bs.

rohde88 12-18-2012 10:51 AM

If you'd like, wear a cotton suit with brown shoes.

Casual AND formal.

sammk 12-18-2012 10:52 AM

Not sure what the work culture and dress code is at your work, but I would agree that it generally pays off to dress formally and look sharp for any interview. Even if I'm interviewing within my own company and with people I've worked with, I would dress up rather than wear the usual. A nice suit might be in order for you. Personally I would wear a neutral color, with a red tie if I'm looking to make a powerful impression, or blue if I like to be a little subdued yet convey strength.

Breezy 12-18-2012 11:49 AM

Back in college I once got passed up on a job because I wore khakis and a tucked in polo for an interview...it was at the mariott. Shortly after I went for an interview at enterprise rent a car wearing a suit, and a nice watch (breitling) and the interviewer told me I was too flashy..lol. I ended up turning down that sh!t job and working part time at a winery while in school, I dressed a little more causal though. I think it depends on the type of business you are applying to. Where I work now, everyone dresses extremely casual, I knew my manager already, so I just came in dressed very casually to fit in with everyone else. Got the job.

evolved 12-18-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy (Post 14990045)
Back in college I once got passed up on a job because I wore khakis and a tucked in polo for an interview...it was at the mariott. Shortly after I went for an interview at enterprise rent a car wearing a suit, and a nice watch (breitling) and the interviewer told me I was too flashy..lol. I ended up turning down that sh!t job and working part time at a winery while in school, I dressed a little more causal though. I think it depends on the type of business you are applying to. Where I work now, everyone dresses extremely casual, I knew my manager already, so I just came in dressed very casually to fit in with everyone else. Got the job.

For an entry level job I would never wear anything super expensive or ostentatious (such as a nice watch).

mcr_driver 12-18-2012 12:05 PM

as barry would say... "Suit up!"

Kwando 12-18-2012 12:41 PM

If you can't decide, strut in late wearing one of these bad boys and give everyone high fives.

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy...SuitShirt2.jpg

Xcelratr 12-18-2012 12:55 PM

Wear a suit/tie.

When you get into the situation and if it seems appropriate, you can get a little more casual by taking off the jacket. If it REALLY seems appropriate, you can lose the tie.

But if you're unsure, I'd err on the side of more formality, not less.

WheyArea 12-18-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14989850)
As a hiring manager.... I'll put it this way...

If you go for a job to be a lifeguard...


You wear a suit

Haha well put

Green_Shine 12-18-2012 12:58 PM

Two ways to dress for an interview:

Professional: Suit with tie.

Relaxed: Suit no tie.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use