E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Launching (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=961947)

Ballstowalls 12-21-2012 02:54 PM

Launching
 
How do use guys Launch a SMG M3 with out launch control. Kind scared to use launch control lol.

danwilz 12-21-2012 03:30 PM

Obviously your not balls to the walls.:eek:

joeysm3 12-21-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwilz (Post 14999808)
Obviously your not balls to the walls.:eek:

:eeps:

Ballstowalls 12-21-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwilz (Post 14999808)
Obviously your not balls to the walls.:eek:

Lmao I'm just asking how u guys do it

I put my foot on brake rev to 2 let go of brake and hold on lol

Tracking off, S6 , and sometimes sport on doesn't do much.

But launch control scares the **** out of me not trying to brake my pump agin..

scca_ziptie 12-21-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballstowalls (Post 15000167)
Lmao I'm just asking how u guys do it

I put my foot on brake rev to 2 let go of brake and hold on lol

Tracking off, S6 , and sometimes sport on doesn't do much.

But launch control scares the **** out of me not trying to brake my pump agin..

So you are pretty much executing launch control except for the fact that you are not holding the sequential shifter back.... Not really sure what the difference is. :hmm:

Ballstowalls 12-21-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scca_ziptie (Post 15000199)
So you are pretty much executing launch control except for the fact that you are not holding the sequential shifter back.... Not really sure what the difference is. :hmm:

Im sure there's a difference launch control puts the whole tranny under tremendous stress and pressure. I don't think I'm putting as much stress with the way I launch please correct me if I'm wrong.

scca_ziptie 12-21-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballstowalls (Post 15000231)
Im sure there's a difference launch control puts the whole tranny under tremendous stress and pressure. I don't think I'm putting as much stress with the way I launch please correct me if I'm wrong.

When you use launch control the car has the clutch disengaged - the way you are doing it the clutch is engaged, car trying to move forward and you are "holding" it back with the brakes. If anything, the way you are 'launching' the car is harder on it compared to using the 'real' launch control as you are putting a load on the transmission..

NICKBRUM 12-21-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scca_ziptie (Post 15000258)
When you use launch control the car is at least in neutral - the way you are doing it the car is in gear trying to move and you are "holding" it back with the brakes. If anything, the way you are 'launching' the car is harder on it compared to using the 'real' launch control as you are putting a load on the transmission..

What he said! US spec LC maxes out at about 1900-2000 rpm with your foot held to the floor which is low when speaking in regards to launching a car. You can also apply even less throttle and get the rpms to bounce around 1000-1200. I say launch the car! The subframe mounts are likely to crack regardless, and that is really the only part of the car that you should worry about when doing this.

Ballstowalls 12-21-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scca_ziptie (Post 15000258)
When you use launch control the car has the clutch disengaged - the way you are doing it the clutch is engaged, car trying to move forward and you are "holding" it back with the brakes. If anything, the way you are 'launching' the car is harder on it compared to using the 'real' launch control as you are putting a load on the transmission..

Ok cool that makes sense thanks. But when I do it I don't hold the RPMs for long max 2 seconds

And I have a convertible Aren't the subframes reinforced?? So will I be fine

NICKBRUM 12-21-2012 07:42 PM

What your currently doing is putting a stress on the whole drive train. Are any of them enough to hurt the car? My opinion is no. With that being said its a real inefficient way to launch. LC is exactly the same as dropping the clutch in a normal manual car. There is nothing magical going on when you do this. Since the clutch is controlled by electronics that drive hydraulics, LC allows you to have the car in 1st gear and drop the clutch at your demand.Euro spec software is upwards of 4k rpm when it lets go, now that is a effing launch!!

Ballstowalls 12-21-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKBRUM (Post 15000313)
What your currently doing is putting a stress on the whole drive train. Are any of them enough to hurt the car? My opinion is no. With that being said its a real inefficient way to launch. LC is exactly the same as dropping the clutch in a normal manual car. There is nothing magical going on when you do this. Since the clutch is controlled by electronics that drive hydraulics, LC allows you to have the car in 1st gear and drop the clutch at your demand.Euro spec software is upwards of 4k rpm when it lets go, now that is a effing launch!!

Wow 4K!!! That sounds good to me. Ill look into better software then thanks :).

scca_ziptie 12-21-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKBRUM (Post 15000313)
What your currently doing is putting a stress on the whole drive train. Are any of them enough to hurt the car? My opinion is no. With that being said its a real inefficient way to launch. LC is exactly the same as dropping the clutch in a normal manual car. There is nothing magical going on when you do this. Since the clutch is controlled by electronics that drive hydraulics, LC allows you to have the car in 1st gear and drop the clutch at your demand.Euro spec software is upwards of 4k rpm when it lets go, now that is a effing launch!!

this :thumbsup:

danwilz 12-21-2012 07:55 PM

And you have a vert too so don't worry too much about the subframe.

NICKBRUM 12-21-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballstowalls (Post 15000318)
Wow 4K!!! That sounds good to me. Ill look into better software then thanks :).

Hmm if your scared of a 2k launch, why go to 4k? Unless you have great tires you will burn out with US spec LC anyway. I have Hankook V12's which came with the car. These tires will not hook up even with a 2k launch. I have to feather out of the throttle to hook up. With my rubber a quick 1/2 stab of the peddle gets me off the line the best. if you mash 100% throttle that is burnout mode, which is exactly that.:clap:

turbo_f22_pilot 12-21-2012 09:04 PM

LC and Burnout mode are initiated the same way with a small difference. For LC mode, you press the accelerator pedal slowly to the floor. For Burnout mode, you stab the pedal to the floor.

NICKBRUM 12-21-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot (Post 15000440)
LC and Burnout mode are initiated the same way with a small difference. For LC mode, you press the accelerator pedal slowly to the floor. For Burnout mode, you stab the pedal to the floor.

From one SMG guy to another, what am I missing?? For LC you must hold the shifter forward in S6. I have not noticed a quick or slow pedal mash to make a difference while doing this. I have done both holding the stick keeps the clutch engaged, so no difference IMO. Burn out is just S6 and a full pedal mash from a stop. Im just trying to clear it up for those less informed.

Ballstowalls 12-21-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKBRUM (Post 15000383)
Hmm if your scared of a 2k launch, why go to 4k? Unless you have great tires you will burn out with US spec LC anyway. I have Hankook V12's which came with the car. These tires will not hook up even with a 2k launch. I have to feather out of the throttle to hook up. With my rubber a quick 1/2 stab of the peddle gets me off the line the best. if you mash 100% throttle that is burnout mode, which is exactly that.:clap:

Not scared to launch lol I'm scared to brake it...

turbo_f22_pilot 12-21-2012 11:12 PM

For either mode,
DSC off
S6
Shifter forwar
d
** for Launch Control **
just slowly roll the pedal to the floor.
OR
** for BurnOut Mode **
mash the pedal to the floor

Launch Control will attempt to not so harshly engage the clutch to reduce wheelspin. (Tires and suspension greatly affects one's sucess)
Burnout Mode will fully lock the clutch enabling burnouts

NOTE: There are a number of other tricks that you can employ depending on which program your vehicle has (NA or EU) I have the EU3/CSL program.
Also, the LC usage is stored in the DME

Ballstowalls 12-22-2012 12:36 AM

Thanks for all the info guys :)

m3e46freak 12-22-2012 10:35 AM

I would not launch my SMG ever. To much to pay for a massive SMG failure, I do track the balls off it though....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use