E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2000 330ci steptronic will not shift in manual mode under full throttle (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962013)

FCUK3R 12-21-2012 10:59 PM

2000 330ci steptronic will not shift in manual mode under full throttle
 
So firstly this is my first thread not sure if it ended up in the right place i think it did but yeah

Anyway title basically says it all. Just bought the car off my Dad its been well looked after but is high mileage at 211 xxx kms.

I always drive in manual mode otherwise i get a bit depressed coz my previous car was a manual lol. I Was giving it a go today and noticed it would not shift in the high rpm range under full throttle no matter how many times i jerked back the lever. I had to release the throttle for it to shift which I am sure you do not have to do in an auto. I was also suprised that it downshifted to first by itself on initial acceleration but i later realised this is called a kickdown feature; how do i avoid this? Just don't put my foot down so hard yeah?

Could it have been caused by the fact maybe i kept pushing the throttle down too hard therefore keeping the kickdown thing activated?

adaseb 12-21-2012 11:15 PM

How about you just drive like a normal person so you don't blow the auto tranny. You shouldn't abuse a high mileage transmission.

E46330iguy 12-21-2012 11:27 PM

Under FULL throttle The tranny isnt going to let you shift when you want to, To avoide the kick down feature there is a "notch" you can feel in the pedal about 3/4 of the way you can feel if you press past this it will kick down

FCUK3R 12-21-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaseb (Post 15000707)
How about you just drive like a normal person so you don't blow the auto tranny. You shouldn't abuse a high mileage transmission.

lol how am i abusing a transmission by trying to shortshift at 5500? A car is made to go full throttle, why not use it from time to time? Besides it was the first time i did it thats why im here now so lets forget about the way i drive lol

FCUK3R 12-21-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46330iguy (Post 15000720)
Under FULL throttle The tranny isnt going to let you shift when you want to, To avoide the kick down feature there is a "notch" you can feel in the pedal about 3/4 of the way you can feel if you press past this it will kick down

ok so basically full throttle, without the kickdown, is roughly at 3/4 of pedal or where u feel the notch or whatever? So at this point of proper full throttle without this feature i should be able to upshift whenever at full throttle when in the higher rpms

adaseb 12-21-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCUK3R (Post 15000726)
lol how am i abusing a transmission by trying to shortshift at 5500? A car is made to go full throttle, why not use it from time to time? Besides it was the first time i did it thats why im here now so lets forget about the way i drive lol

You can do this on a new car but not on a 13 year old car with over 200K. You will blow the transmission and it costs more than the car is worth to replace.

FCUK3R 12-21-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaseb (Post 15000735)
You can do this on a new car but not on a 13 year old car with over 200K. You will blow the transmission and it costs more than the car is worth to replace.

Ok fair enough but i should still be able to drive the car hard provided i ease of the gas before i shift so that i dont hurt the transmission? because i think it would be nice to take the car to a track day even tho its auto because it feels like it would handle really well, so would you say the tranmission is really delicate?
Ive heard the engines are pretty bulletproof provided good maintenance up to about 300k, what ur opinion on that?

E46330iguy 12-21-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCUK3R (Post 15000740)
Ok fair enough but i should still be able to drive the car hard provided i ease of the gas before i shift so that i dont hurt the transmission? because i think it would be nice to take the car to a track day even tho its auto because it feels like it would handle really well, so would you say the tranmission is really delicate?
Ive heard the engines are pretty bulletproof provided good maintenance up to about 300k, what ur opinion on that?

I Track my car once a week, It has the auto now and im currently swapping it out. Auto SUCKS for a track day. if this car is you DD and has 200,000k miles on it your going to brake something for sure, Brakes will be one of the first thing to go

FCUK3R 12-22-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46330iguy (Post 15000756)
I Track my car once a week, It has the auto now and im currently swapping it out. Auto SUCKS for a track day. if this car is you DD and has 200,000k miles on it your going to brake something for sure, Brakes will be one of the first thing to go

Well the brakes are M3 brakes so they should be ok but i get what you mean, high mileage cars no matter the quality will go wrong. Yeh the only reason i got the auto was my previous car was written off in a massive queensland hail storm lol so i got this off Dad for really cheap as he offered. Its just seems like it would really suit the track :|
So you think the engine would give way soon? its got all new gaskets, a new ECU and mechanic says its the best 330 hes seen with this mileage.
You track urs once a week but im guessing its much lower mileage hey?

Also i replied to ur previous comment about the kickdown feature..is what i asked correct?

Snapasaurus 12-22-2012 12:15 AM

When you press the "kickdown button" at the end of the pedal's movement the tranny, even in manual mode, shifts when it wants. If you want to go all out and shift when you please, depress the accelerator till the kickdown point for full acceleration and control of your tranny.

FCUK3R 12-22-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapasaurus (Post 15000777)
When you press the "kickdown button" at the end of the pedal's movement the tranny, even in manual mode, shifts when it wants. If you want to go all out and shift when you please, depress the accelerator till the kickdown point for full acceleration and control of your tranny.

ok thanks for that.
So there would be nothing wrong with what my transmission was doing under kickdown? As long as its normal i guess :)

E46330iguy 12-22-2012 12:32 AM

Mine has 100k miles on it. at 200k anything can break but your most likely to explode every suspension part you have on the car, Everything on my car suspension wise is after market but the sways which ill be upgrading soon. If would just enjoy your car as it is, You start tracking it you gonna be in trouble

adaseb 12-22-2012 12:35 AM

The engine is generally bulletproof. Usually every other part falls apart before the engine goes.

Snapasaurus 12-22-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCUK3R (Post 15000783)
ok thanks for that.
So there would be nothing wrong with what my transmission was doing under kickdown? As long as its normal i guess :)

Nope, nothing wrong. That's just the way the car is. Technically you are at full throttle when you get to the kick down point, but when you press it, it just tells the car to shift to the lowest gear possible for max acceleration.

peytonracer4 12-22-2012 01:00 AM

The transmissions thinks its smarter than you so it overrides anything you tell it to do under full throttle.
Try putting it in manual mode and flooring it. Then don't shift.
It will still shift for you. It won't let you bounce off the rev limit like a manual car.
The manual mode is not even close to a real manual trans. It's just a feature of the auto. It's still thinking for you in the background.

FCUK3R 12-22-2012 02:21 AM

Ok thanks for that guys.
Quote:

Originally Posted by E46330iguy (Post 15000801)
Mine has 100k miles on it. at 200k anything can break but your most likely to explode every suspension part you have on the car, Everything on my car suspension wise is after market but the sways which ill be upgrading soon. If would just enjoy your car as it is, You start tracking it you gonna be in trouble

Ok thanks for the advice il just enjoy it as a cruiser and wait until I have the money to either buy a manual version and upgrade the suspension or maybe even keep it and buy an e36 for the track I dunno lol

FCUK3R 12-22-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46330iguy (Post 15000801)
Mine has 100k miles on it. at 200k anything can break but your most likely to explode every suspension part you have on the car, Everything on my car suspension wise is after market but the sways which ill be upgrading soon. If would just enjoy your car as it is, You start tracking it you gonna be in trouble

Btw it's 200k Kms not miles :P I'm in oz lol. So it would be more like 120K miles. Would that change ur opinion on anything? Either way it's still in auto and I'm not expecting it to be an absolute thrill just wanna c how it handles.

E46330iguy 12-22-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCUK3R (Post 15000918)
Btw it's 200k Kms not miles :P I'm in oz lol. So it would be more like 120K miles. Would that change ur opinion on anything? Either way it's still in auto and I'm not expecting it to be an absolute thrill just wanna c how it handles.

some but not much, if you want to try it out once or twice go for it, But i wouldnt make it a regular thing, Not to mention if you crash there is no insurance

Toad21 12-22-2012 09:52 AM

There are so many problems with your question.

The BMW engineers were smarter than you, and designed it to not shift at full throttle in order to keep your transmission in order.

There are a few other things you cannot do, like shifting into reverse when your moving forward. They put that there for a reason.

gusmagoo 12-22-2012 10:24 AM

Mate, if your dad has driven this, as I suspect, "like his dad would?", and looked after it, you jumping in it and flooring it every day will more than likely kill it quite soon...
even at 120K...
If you want a track car that you can shift, you'd have been much better with a manual... However manuals also die quicker if you screw them...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use