E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Ill handling 330ci after install new winter rims and tires (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962083)

addbhp 12-22-2012 04:35 PM

Ill handling 330ci after install new winter rims and tires

Looking for advice, and insight. I just installed new winter tires and rims, 225/45/17 square set up on 17x8 rims and now the car is almost undriveable on the highway. Car is darting and need to make constant adjustments to the steering wheel, that never had to be done with my stock staggered set up. Feels like driving in a wind storm but it's calm out.

And now anything over 130km/hr the traction control like goes crazy and starts grabbing the drive wheels, even on dry pavement. Traction control is even working when turning at normal speeds.

Directional tires mounted correctly, no wires disconnected as I switched rims myself.

Any insight appreciated. Already not impressed by Tire shop, but will go back if needed. Car has gone from handling well to crap.

[USMC]Skywalker 12-22-2012 04:39 PM

what tires (brand) and make sure they balanced the tires, unbalanced tires will handle very badly at high speed including vibrations.

E46330iguy 12-22-2012 04:43 PM

Sounds like you need an aligmnet

addbhp 12-22-2012 05:07 PM

There is no vibration, so ruled out balancing. Tires are Hankook. But will definitely do an alignment, fingers crossed that solves it. Weird I wouldn't feel it with the summer set up.

rwall 12-22-2012 09:42 PM

Check the sidewalls to make sure all are the same aspect ratio (all 45's). If one is different, it'll have a different circumference and screw with your speed sensors. If this doesn't help, temporarily swap your summer set back on and see if the symptoms persist, indicating a new, coincidental suspension or alignment problem. Good luck.

JQuick5156 12-22-2012 10:51 PM

I had a similar situation as this....need an alignment however I also need fcab and probably ball joints....I'd check that stuff out. For some reason it's not noticeable with my summer set up but my winter tires made it very obvious....doing my control arms after Christmas sometime.

obd2toolbox 12-26-2012 07:38 AM

PP2000 Peugeot

stevenluczynski 12-26-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obd2toolbox (Post 15007576)

whats with the sponsor spamming:hmm:

willsbma 12-26-2012 08:05 AM

You sure the tread is facing the right way

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Toad21 12-26-2012 09:27 AM

Put it on a lift, put in in neutral, and just spin the tires and look. They will have a wobble, and your tires are either not mounted correctly, there is something wrong with the tires (happened to me), or your suspension components are bad. And a possible combination of any of those.

Not really worth asking on here, more of a common sense solution.

SoloII///M 01-02-2013 09:07 AM

Have you used the wheels before? What's the offset as compared to stock? If you have lower offset wheels (i.e. pushed out towards the fenders more) you have increased the scrub radius in your suspension which will cause tramlining. Also, certain tires are notorious for horrible tramlining. I had a set of Bridgestone RE760s that were about the worst I'd ever experienced in that regard.

I'd get the alignment checked out. Check also for loose wheel bearings or worn tie-rods or ball joints. Any of these things can cause dynamic toe and camber changes as you drive down the road which will cause the symptoms you're encountering.

John