E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What inspires you? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962213)

always-there 12-23-2012 09:16 PM

What inspires you?

What inspires me? Cars. The opportunity to push a car to it's very limits. The amount of physics incorporated in a automobile. The ability to be able to play with physics by means of talent. It is what drives me. " It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

MercForHire 12-23-2012 09:35 PM

try making a car instead of playing it all day.

always-there 12-23-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercForHire (Post 15003704)
try making a car instead of playing it all day.

Do explain.

TArse 12-23-2012 11:04 PM

trees.

Mango 12-23-2012 11:12 PM

are you drunk

BBBoy323i 12-23-2012 11:15 PM

Regarding just cars? Well to me it's all about personality and making a car your own. I really respect what others have done to their car as long as its not too stupid.

always-there 12-23-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15003856)
are you drunk

Mango...lol? Guys, the only reason I brought this up is because I'm considering possibly becoming a mechanical engineer, or anything that's associated with cars. I'm a pharmacy technician at the moment, and while I enjoy taking care of people I also love working on cars and improving them. I'm deciding what I want to do with my life, which is why I wrote what I did. My wife's going to graduate this may as an RN. Really, the plan was for her to finish school while I took care of the bills, and then switch..I would continue towards my career in nursing. I had to stop school because my father decided to be a jerk and leave the family when I was 17, and I had to step up and take care of my family, being that I'm the only guy " 4 sisters". I ended up completing 1 year of prerequisites and had to stop due to this dilemma. Anyway, I'm sorry to take your time away, but this is simply me finding myself, now that you're questioning my "soberness.", haha. I feel as if I'm really late at finding a career while all of my classmates reached their goal and recently graduated, " I'm now 26." So it seems I have to choose from becoming an RN, or becoming a mechanical engineer..or something to do with cars.

always-there 12-23-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBoy323i (Post 15003865)
Regarding just cars? Well to me it's all about personality and making a car your own. I really respect what others have done to their car as long as its not too stupid.

Agreed. I respect that. Whatchu' know about them Jabawockeez?? Haha.

omni01_k 12-24-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

are you drunk

:lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast (Post 15003902)
Mango...lol? Guys, the only reason I brought this up is because I'm considering possibly becoming a mechanical engineer, or anything that's associated with cars. I'm a pharmacy technician at the moment, and while I enjoy taking care of people I also love working on cars and improving them. I'm deciding what I want to do with my life, which is why I wrote what I did. My wife's going to graduate this may as an RN. Really, the plan was for her to finish school while I took care of the bills, and then switch..I would continue towards my career in nursing. I had to stop school because my father decided to be a jerk and leave the family when I was 17, and I had to step up and take care of my family, being that I'm the only guy " 4 sisters". I ended up completing 1 year of prerequisites and had to stop due to this dilemma. Anyway, I'm sorry to take your time away, but this is simply me finding myself, now that you're questioning my "soberness.", haha. I feel as if I'm really late at finding a career while all of my classmates reached their goal and recently graduated, " I'm now 26." So it seems I have to choose from becoming an RN, or becoming a mechanical engineer..or something to do with cars.

Least you're thinking about it before your stuck 20yrs later doing the same thing only to realize you don't like it and then feeling trapped. Which ever path you choose make sure to have some type of plan "b" just in case, but commit fully and it should work out for you.

eneka 12-24-2012 06:35 AM

i'm currently on my way to a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I use to be in the "something to do with cars" mindset but I've managed to narrow it down to "something-to-do" with Vehicle Safety. There is so much that goes into Automotive engineering, a computer science degree isn't a bad idea either since everything nowadays is computer controlled too.

sammk 12-24-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eneka (Post 15004194)
i'm currently on my way to a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I use to be in the "something to do with cars" mindset but I've managed to narrow it down to "something-to-do" with Vehicle Safety. There is so much that goes into Automotive engineering, a computer science degree isn't a bad idea either since everything nowadays is computer controlled too.

Yep, agreed. There's a lot of CS and EE graduates in the field in addition to the staple ME. With everyone going hybrid and electric, there's heck of a lot more controls, logic and programming involved. What used to be simple mechanical devices are now electronic actuators aimed towards better control, accuracy, lower emissions and higher performance. Think how fuel injection replaced carbs, electronic spark replaced distributors, variable cam timing replaced fixed cams and so on. There's a gazillion more actuators involved in a new engine or transmission than there ever was.

You also need to think about what your motivation translates to in terms of what the industry is doing and where it's headed, i.e. are you interested in the design stage, production and manufacturing, testing and validation, or controls and calibration. All those are distinctly different areas with different skill set and education requirements. Also, there's a lot of confusion on what the 'next big thing' in automobiles is going to be, but a lot of people think it's going to be fully electric vehicles and fuel cells for our lifetime. Lastly, if you think you'd enjoy just being a manager or supervisor eventually, you could fit in almost in any type of industry or department with the right education and experience...

:) So some things to think about.. :)

RayPooley 12-24-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast (Post 15003902)

Let me make a clear distinction. There is a huge difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer. Mechanics fix and maintain cars. Mechanical engineers design cars, as well as practically every other thing around you that might be considered man made. That's not to say that mechanical engineers can't maintain and fix cars. They can, but most don't bother. They give it to a mechanic. One might say that all mechanical engineers are mechanics but not all mechanics are mechanical engineers.

always-there 12-25-2012 09:53 PM

Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.[/QUOTE]

You definitely gave me something to think about, thanks. And I really dig that last thing you said.

4banger 12-25-2012 10:00 PM

what inspires me to do what exactly?

2003silver330i 12-25-2012 11:43 PM

Money

SilverThreeTwoFive 12-26-2012 12:03 AM

Continental Philosophy

RayPooley 12-26-2012 03:05 AM

Sounds like one of those bullsh*t human resources job inteview questions. What is this? Oprah?

rosenrot88 12-26-2012 03:49 AM

I am truly inspired by our size compared to the vast size of the universe. Many times when I am stressed or overwhelmed, I think about a statement a dear person told me long ago. I was told by this person to think about all my problems and how much they mean to me and how important they are. He stated that the camera lens was focused on me, then he asked me to zoom out and see my issues along side those next to me, then the whole neighborhood, town, city, state, country, earth, earth moon so on, milky way and still go on till nothing is recognizable. At which point nothing that I or any one alive feels or does matters to the sands of time. Its is that philosophy that guides me through every day.

Five_seveN 12-26-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

are you drunk

:rofl: :spit: :lmao:

bimmerfan08 12-26-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirish317 (Post 15004339)
I'm probably going to catch a LOT of flak for this. My theory, being one, is that engineering is a personality trait as much as it is a career. If you spent your early childhood years interested (no, obsessed) with learning how things work, and are more interested in things than people, you are probably an engineer.

I majored in mechanical engineering because it was honestly the only thing I felt I could pass in college. I struggled through the calculus, chemistry, political science, but really enjoyed the mechanical classes. If you are an engineer, you probably know it. Not many people would struggle through college and then put up with the boring activities (boring to non-engineers) for the well-but not highly paid salary of an engineer.

In other words, don't do it for the money.

A lot of mechanics are engineers who didn't pursue the education. I respect them because they can figure things out based on what they have learned, and draw logical conclusions.

If you are an engineer, you should pursue the education. I loved cars when I was in college. I still do. However, I design and troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for hospitals and other commercial buildings. I love what I do, and still work on cars.

Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

Personality trait indeed. :thumbup: