E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Eagle Eyes Tail Light Review (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962305)

earlgrey1920 12-24-2012 06:12 PM

Eagle Eyes Tail Light Review

I bought a set of Eagle Eyes LED tail lights from ECS Tuning and thought I would write a quick review for anyone considering the upgrade.

PROS:
  • Good overall look. Running lights and brake lights are great -- much nicer than my old red and orange stock lenses. These units also look 100% better when the car is just sitting in the driveway.
  • Easy installation. Instructions are not included, so you'll have to find a DIY video on YouTube. However, the installation is very easy.

CONS:
  • Cheap quality. These units are clearly not the same quality as OE units. The interior pieces (that are installed in the trunk) look and feel like cheap plastic junk. The moisture seals are also cheap. I haven't experienced moisture issues yet, but I am sure it's just a matter of time.
  • The lights flicker. This is a picky point, but the lights flicker when the engine is not running. It may be rare for you to run your lights without the engine running, but on those occasions the lights will flicker. (For example, if your hazards are on and the engine is off, they will flicker.)
  • Signals look slightly defective. The signals appear to have a burned out LED in the middle of the top row -- by design. When I tested the lights initially, I immediately thought the units were defective. On closer inspection, I realize that's how they were designed.

VERDICT:

I was very disappointed with the overall quality of these units. Given the mediocre quality and the "defects" (i.e., flickering lights and burned out LED look of the signal) I cannot recommend them.

Regarding price, the total cost of these lights was approx. $400 Canadian. This includes the unit price, shipping, duties, taxes, and the insane $60 UPS brokerage fee.

Solidjake 12-25-2012 03:45 AM

I agree with the review.

mkodama 12-25-2012 04:10 AM

I also agree, and I bought mine almost 6 years ago, lol. Guess not much has changed with quality.

Sadly, they are the only LED tail light option for sedans.

The Thomas J 12-25-2012 11:50 PM

Sadly I just recived these as a Christmas gift. I was so happy, now i'm freakin depressed.

The Thomas J 01-18-2013 10:55 PM

Installed on Thursday, took the car for a wash On Friday & have moisture in the passenger side light. :facepalm:

The Thomas J 01-18-2013 10:56 PM

Installed on Thursday, took the car for a wash On Friday & have moisture in the passenger side light. :facepalm:

I experianced the flicker issue as well.

Tchleung 01-19-2013 02:08 AM

Wow you paid ALOT for them. I've bought two sets of EE tails and they totalled under 400 for both sets. Just have to know how to buy for across the border stuff. For the prices i paid, I am satisfied and happy with them even with their issues, but if I had to pay 400, then yes I would have not been happy

Bimmer4Lyfe 01-19-2013 02:13 AM

I concur...

Also, I disconnected the top row of the blinkers on mine...

I d rather have 2 full rows (which are bright enough). Than to have one missing led in the middle of a row...

The Thomas J 01-20-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchleung (Post 15075722)
Wow you paid ALOT for them. I've bought two sets of EE tails and they totalled under 400 for both sets. Just have to know how to buy for across the border stuff. For the prices i paid, I am satisfied and happy with them even with their issues, but if I had to pay 400, then yes I would have not been happy

Verts are more expensive, around $275

coolbill4 05-11-2013 01:49 AM

*comment edited below

coolbill4 05-11-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe (Post 15075728)
I concur...

Also, I disconnected the top row of the blinkers on mine...

I d rather have 2 full rows (which are bright enough). Than to have one missing led in the middle of a row...

I want to do this! Would love to hear how you did it.

j2sound 05-11-2013 02:53 AM

Install capacitors, that will illuminate your flicker issues :)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

David86 05-12-2013 08:26 PM

Did you guys have melted wire with the previous tail light?? because i dont know if a can just detach it from the metal ground and plug my tail light

Riverbmr3 05-13-2013 09:29 AM

trash product so far....

DavidDee 05-13-2013 10:01 AM

I've had mine since August and I don't have any of the problems described. Sure, they aren't of the same quality that the OEM ones are but I don't have any flickering or any LED's not working. I guess time will tell the true quality of these tail lights.

earlgrey1920 05-13-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 15417988)
Did you guys have melted wire with the previous tail light?? because i dont know if a can just detach it from the metal ground and plug my tail light

Are you asking about a melted wire with your OEM units? I received a recall letter from BMW some time ago (within the last two years I'm guessing) to address a grounding issue with my tail lights. (This was for a 2003 325i). I'm not sure if that would cause the problem you describe, but it might be worth looking into.

Just found a thread regarding the recall: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867564

David86 05-18-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlgrey1920 (Post 15419668)
Are you asking about a melted wire with your OEM units? I received a recall letter from BMW some time ago (within the last two years I'm guessing) to address a grounding issue with my tail lights. (This was for a 2003 325i). I'm not sure if that would cause the problem you describe, but it might be worth looking into.

Just found a thread regarding the recall: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867564

No my car was fixed with the tail light issues
I want to know if i can detach the fixing thing on the bulb holder
and just plug my LED tail light on it or i need to do something else

Thanks

2002GreenBMW 05-25-2013 04:59 PM

Honestly I agree with the review except the fact is they still look way better than stock, as long as you get them tight they will seal. I've had mine for 6 months with rain and snow and I've never had moisture problems. Personal preference the LEDs look way better than RCR, PS shop around next time dude.. Khoalty has them for like 180$ same exact stuff

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

lovemy330ci 06-19-2013 12:52 AM

i got em for 140 shipped brand new on ebay...

Bimmer4Lyfe 06-19-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbill4 (Post 15414810)
I want to do this! Would love to hear how you did it.

Clip the wire leading to that top row.

Done.