E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Just swapped to clears. Are my bulbs illegal now? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962373)

Snapasaurus 12-25-2012 01:53 PM

Just swapped to clears. Are my bulbs illegal now?
 
Just as the title states, I just swapped my ambers for clears and my bulbs are white. Is this illegal? Do my bulbs have to flash amber, or can I just leave them the way they are?

Thanks in advanced.

tock172 12-25-2012 02:00 PM

Check your local laws. A lot of new cars flash red for turn signals and I see plenty of people on the road here with white turn signals. I think it's one of those things where they don't reallynenforcenit if it is in fact illegal. Get the genuine BMW or Philips chrome bulbs.

BeMyWhip 12-25-2012 02:02 PM

Omg, you are now a criminal.
Use your arm to signal if the fuzz is around.
Youre a sick bastard.... Running non ambers huh?!
lol, Im just breaking your balls.
I been running like that for years; dont sweat it.

Snapasaurus 12-25-2012 02:08 PM

Haha okay, thanks guys. Also, with installing new side markers, should I use silicone or some adhesive on the back? The new ones seem to wiggle around a bit.

dmax 12-25-2012 02:12 PM

Get yellow bulbs, and I'm sure you're running illegally. White is for reverse afaik. A signal needs to be red or amber so as not to blind the person watching you signal.

Solidjake 12-25-2012 02:16 PM

Get OEM side markers, trust me.

As for the bulbs I had them like that for two years, then I went to amber bulbs for some contrast.

Snapasaurus 12-25-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 15006516)
Get yellow bulbs, and I'm sure you're running illegally. White is for reverse afaik. A signal needs to be red or amber so as not to blind the person watching you signal.

I'm probably just going to end up changing them. I just checked some local laws.

tock172 12-25-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 15006522)
Get OEM side markers, trust me.

As for the bulbs I had them like that for two years, then I went to amber bulbs for some contrast.

+1, DEPO side markers suck. I have their tail lamps and corners and they're satisfactory, but the side markers are junk.

Solidjake 12-25-2012 02:24 PM

Mine turned yellow and wouldn't hold into the fender for crap. OEM is perfection.

Snapasaurus 12-25-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tock172 (Post 15006537)
+1, DEPO side markers suck. I have their tail lamps and corners and they're satisfactory, but the side markers are junk.

That's what I bought. Depo.

XKxRome0ox 12-25-2012 02:26 PM

Check your state dept of motor vehicle website for guideline
Rear turn signals can flash red or amber
Front turn signal can be amber
I think even the newer cars with led turn signals in front flash yellow

Only emergency vehicles (police, ambulance, etc.) can have a flashing red light in the front

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

JT 330CI 12-25-2012 02:29 PM

I wanted to do this too, someone give me a link to the white bulbs for 03 330 please.

tock172 12-25-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapasaurus (Post 15006542)
That's what I bought. Depo.

Return and buy OE. I had to do the same when I initially bought the DEPO ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 15006541)
Mine turned yellow and wouldn't hold into the fender for crap. OEM is perfection.

Yup, there was a nice gap between the seal and the fender. Returned em.

Snapasaurus 12-25-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tock172 (Post 15006584)
Return and buy OE. I had to do the same when I initially bought the DEPO ones.


Yup, there was a nice gap between the seal and the fender. Returned em.

Yup, big gap, but I got them in a package deal with corners for pretty cheap. I guess ill just swallow the 6$ or so that I paid extra.

tock172 12-25-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapasaurus (Post 15006591)
Yup, big gap, but I got them in a package deal with corners for pretty cheap. I guess ill just swallow the 6$ or so that I paid extra.

Yeah, you got a better deal than I did. I payed like $20 for mine and got hit with a restocking fee :facepalm:

Snapasaurus 12-25-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tock172 (Post 15006597)
Yeah, you got a better deal than I did. I payed like $20 for mine and got hit with a restocking fee :facepalm:

Ouch. Do you know who has the OEM ones for a good deal?

Solidjake 12-25-2012 03:28 PM

I got mine from ecs

TerraPhantm 12-25-2012 03:33 PM

I think white is okay in the front in most states. Though I've always preferred amber.

OEM housings generally come with new bulbs anyway. I'd get them from Turner or ECS, whichever is cheaper

Zell 12-25-2012 03:55 PM

I've seen both white and red turn signals before. Hondas come to mind when I think of red turn signals.

Get stealth bulbs if you want the white look but amber color.

eneka 12-25-2012 04:53 PM

I wouldn't reccomend chrome bulbs with depo corners. They WILL melt. Even regular orange bulbs will melt them. If you really want to preserve them you can always code your car to have the side markers to not come on when your headlights are on to minimize heat...but of course it's illegal in the US.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use