E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Advice for a decal (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962403)

willsbma 12-25-2012 06:18 PM

Advice for a decal

Some of you know I have been doing a lot of work on my car lately. (if not here's the thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=957168)

My friend Paul did a sick job on the body work and paint and I want to help him spread the word about his shop. I will be putting a decal of his shop name/website in a dark grey/silver-ish vinyl somewhere on my car, I was thinking the rocker panels but I'm not really that creative so I was hoping someone here was a graphic designer or worked in a vinyl shop. I need some nifty ideas and would appreciate the help. His website: www.autobodycreationzinc.com or just the name is fine.

Before you start with the bull$hit comments, I am doing this no matter what anyone says about vinyl on BMW's. I know people are gonna say it's tacky or ricey but it's my car. I am trying to do this the classiest and neatest way by enlisting the help of fellow fanatics that may have experience. Thank you!

stevenluczynski 12-25-2012 06:21 PM

I like to put vinyl on my penor, gets a lot of attention there

willsbma 12-25-2012 06:49 PM

:bump: for some ideas. Anyone a graphic designer?

Zell 12-25-2012 06:55 PM

The OE BMW performance stripe would be good. I've seen it in person, it's actually pretty neat.

willsbma 12-25-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell (Post 15006891)
The OE BMW performance stripe would be good. I've seen it in person, it's actually pretty neat.

What?

Zell 12-25-2012 07:32 PM

http://www.circlebmwparts.com/partsn...ormance-06.jpg

Looks like that.

Cees 12-26-2012 05:20 AM

Guessing he didn't read you were trying to promote your friend with a vinyl decal.
Try sifting through dafont for a text decal - DaFont.com - Auto Body Creation Zinc

PH03NIX46 12-26-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell (Post 15006945)

I just thought of something.

Use this performance strip...and then within it...have smaller text that says "www.autobodycreationzinc.com" or whatever.

bratliff 12-26-2012 07:45 AM

Or just tint the upper portion of your windshield and put the web address there. I see that on lots of imports.

Mango 12-26-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell (Post 15006891)

Yeah I don't think that came on the E46 as original equipment. It would not be OE (so nobody gets mislead)

In fact I wouldn't even call it OE on the F30 3. I would just say the Genuine BMW factory option/accessory decal.

Mango 12-26-2012 09:40 AM

Oh and BTW op, stickerz would go absolutely fantastic with dat rack!! how bout putting the stickerz ON da rack?

Sweetness 12-26-2012 10:25 AM

By looking at your car, it looks like you have the blacked out theme. For a decal, I think it would be pretty sweet to get a matte black vinyl job that really is not noticeable at first glance. A gloss black body, with matte black vinyl tribal design would look really clean, and classy, but won't stick out like a giant dragon or eagle sprawled on the front hood. This is DK's car from Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift, and even though very noticeable in this photo, in the movie it looked very clean and had a slight contrast.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs39/f/20..._by_Faik05.jpg

willsbma 12-26-2012 11:19 AM

Mango, why do you bother commenting?

Im not looking for graphics up the side of my car, just a body shop name.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Zell 12-26-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15007705)
In fact I wouldn't even call it OE on the F30 3. I would just say the Genuine BMW factory option/accessory decal.

If you order the option from the factory, then it's OE... since this is a factory option, it can be considered OE. It originally came from the factory with the stripe, if you ordered it.

That would mean that almost every option on our cars isn't OE. Bare essential BMWs have nothing fun in them. In that case, the few OE things on our cars are the seats, body panels, engine, etc.

Mango 12-26-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell (Post 15007901)
If you order the option from the factory, then it's OE... since this is a factory option, it can be considered OE. It originally came from the factory with the stripe, if you ordered it.

That would mean that almost every option on our cars isn't OE. Bare essential BMWs have nothing fun in them. In that case, the few OE things on our cars are the seats, body panels, engine, etc.

Can be is quite different from is. If it wasn't on the car, it's not OE--it's an option/accessory. In the case of the E46, correct me if I am wrong, but this decal was never even an option. It didn't even exist.

jdstrickland 12-26-2012 11:35 AM

Apply decals to the glass, NOT to any painted surface. That's my two cents worth.

Mango 12-26-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsbma (Post 15007888)
Mango, why do you bother commenting?

Im not looking for graphics up the side of my car, just a body shop name.

Was putting a body shop name a part of the agreement with the body shop owner in exchange for discounted services? If so, then I might see a point. Other than that, I don't. Might attract attention from cops/racers/etc. Trying to keep you out of trouble, bro!

Mango 12-26-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstrickland (Post 15007920)
Apply decals to the glass, NOT to any painted surface. That's my two cents worth.

+1 I don't even TOUCH any painted surfaces. Pet peeve of mine! I only touch the interior with my hands and even thats approaching the line with me! :P

jdstrickland 12-26-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsbma (Post 15006847)
Some of you know I have been doing a lot of work on my car lately. (if not here's the thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=957168)

My friend Paul did a sick job on the body work and paint and I want to help him spread the word about his shop. I will be putting a decal of his shop name/website in a dark grey/silver-ish vinyl somewhere on my car, I was thinking the rocker panels but I'm not really that creative so I was hoping someone here was a graphic designer or worked in a vinyl shop. I need some nifty ideas and would appreciate the help. His website: www.autobodycreationzinc.com or just the name is fine.

Before you start with the bull$hit comments, I am doing this no matter what anyone says about vinyl on BMW's. I know people are gonna say it's tacky or ricey but it's my car. I am trying to do this the classiest and neatest way by enlisting the help of fellow fanatics that may have experience. Thank you!

Just a thought, but your friend that does body work and paint would know exactly where his name would look good on your car.

willsbma 12-30-2012 01:05 AM

Not necessarily, just cause he can paint doesnt means he's an artist. There's a sign shop on the way home from work, gonna stop in Monday and see how much