E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Wheel and tyre (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962624)

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 02:59 AM

Wheel and tyre
 
Was looking in my logbook, and the last service says the tyres were too big for the wheels on the rear. I have e90 m3 wheels they are 19 x 9 and the tyres are 265/35/r19, is this the right size? If not what is the correct tyre size? I get a whole lot of running in the rears at the moment!! Maybe a 255/30??

Jall 12-27-2012 03:34 AM

Should be running a 30 series. Either 255/30 or 265/30

Running? do you mean rubbing? Going to a 255 (or even a 245 depending on your front size) will help. (depending on where you're rubbing.)

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 04:12 AM

Yeah sorry, auto correct I meant rubbing. On the front iv got 245/35/19. I was thinking 255 / 30 will be a nice fit, I think 245 will be a bit of a stretch. Oh and it's rubbing on the inside of the guard and maybe looks like its rubbing a touch on the rear bumper.

Jall 12-27-2012 04:35 AM

I've got 245 on a 9" wide wheel, not visibly stretched, although this is an 18".

DR-JEKL 12-27-2012 04:37 AM

265 35 19 is the correct tyre size for an E9X M3 yet as mentioned will be too big for an E46.

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DR-JEKL (Post 15010004)
265 35 19 is the correct tyre size for an E9X M3 yet as mentioned will be too big for an E46.

So 19x9s won't fit an e46??

Jall 12-27-2012 04:49 AM

The size isn't the issue, the offset and tyre size will be.

Are these replicas or OEM E90 wheels?

Tiag46 12-27-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f4n4tik (Post 15010009)
So 19x9s won't fit an e46??

Its the offsets that may make it not fit, not the above dimensions

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jall (Post 15010015)
The size isn't the issue, the offset and tyre size will be.

Are these replicas or OEM E90 wheels?

The Offset is 45, not 100% sure but from what the previous owner told me, said they were OEM. So what offset, wheel and tyre set up would I need to run in order to get a rub free drive? What's your set up Jall?

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean320ci (Post 15010016)
Its the offsets that may make it not fit, not the above dimensions

Offset on the wheels are 45. I'm thinking about new wheels, what should the offset be on a new set if I buy something?

Jall 12-27-2012 05:15 AM

OEM E90 wheel specs are 19x8.5 ET29, 19x9.5 ET23; so they're not OEM if they're +45 offset.
You should have no issues with 19x9 ET45 and a 255.

My setup is:
18x8 ET35 225/40
18x9 ET32 245/35 (rolled guards)

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by f4n4tik (Post 15010022)
Offset on the wheels are 45. I'm thinking about new wheels, what should the offset be on a new set if I buy something?

Offset depends on wheel width, normal staggered fitment that most people with aftermarket wheels run on an E46 is 8.5" Front and 9.5" rear, with offsets around 35 and 40-45 respectively. Just depends how aggressive you want to go.

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jall (Post 15010031)
OEM E90 wheel specs are 19x8.5 ET29, 19x9.5 ET23; so they're not OEM if they're +45 offset.
You should have no issues with 19x9 ET45 and a 255.

My setup is:
18x8 ET35 225/40
18x9 ET32 245/35 (rolled guards)

EDIT:

Offset depends on wheel width, normal staggered fitment that most people with aftermarket wheels run on an E46 is 8.5" Front and 9.5" rear, with offsets around 35 and 40-45 respectively. Just depends how aggressive you want to go.

Cheers for the info man, looks like I'll have to look into new rear tyres then

WA_Matt 12-27-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jall (Post 15010031)
EDIT:

Offset depends on wheel width, normal staggered fitment that most people with aftermarket wheels run on an E46 is 8.5" Front and 9.5" rear, with offsets around 35 and 40-45 respectively. Just depends how aggressive you want to go.

Offset does not depend on wheel width (the two things are separate), but the offset combined with the wheel width will determine whether or not the wheel will fit, which is what you were getting at I think.

Jall 12-27-2012 08:04 AM

You know what I meant, it's late.
Should have said fitment depends on offset and width. But you're right, what I was getting at is that one measurement on its own isn't enough to determine fitment.

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WA_Matt (Post 15010132)
Offset does not depend on wheel width (the two things are separate), but the offset combined with the wheel width will determine whether or not the wheel will fit, which is what you were getting at I think.

So my understand of offset is how far the wheel sits out toward the guard ? The lower the offset number the further the wheel will sit out? Is what I'm saying remotely correct?

YGOAMG 12-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f4n4tik (Post 15011338)
So my understand of offset is how far the wheel sits out toward the guard ? The lower the offset number the further the wheel will sit out? Is what I'm saying remotely correct?

pretty much man..

its the distance between the hub of the rim and the centre of the rim

f4n4tik 12-27-2012 09:42 PM

Ok so the setup I have now on the rear is Et45 19x9 wheels with 265/35/r19 tyres and it rubs, the solution to a smooth drive with no rubbing will be 255/30 rear tyres, correct ??

MRBMR 12-28-2012 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just diy'd mine with enamel paint & primer with a clear coat aswel cost me $70 all up, slow process doing it yourself but saved a fair bit of coin w/out compromising too much on quality.. Went from gunmetal grey to white, turned out pretty sweet

Attachment 483703

MRBMR 12-28-2012 12:25 AM

Sorry wrong thread mah bad

ating 12-28-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f4n4tik (Post 15011874)
Ok so the setup I have now on the rear is Et45 19x9 wheels with 265/35/r19 tyres and it rubs, the solution to a smooth drive with no rubbing will be 255/30 rear tyres, correct ??

Possibly...depends how much it's rubbing. You can either raise it, run more negative camber, stretch tyres or a combination of these things.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use