E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Federal 595 RS-R - looking for reviews (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962666)

thecarguy 12-27-2012 12:16 PM

Federal 595 RS-R - looking for reviews

I have searched quite a bit and have found some good reviews for this tire on some of the STi and EVO forums but it's pretty thin out there. I know a big part of it is the availability of this tire.

I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with the tire. How would it be for a dual-duty tire - DD and occasional autocross?

The prices are unreal! $133 for a 255 35 18!

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...g+90w+bsw.html

thecarguy 12-29-2012 12:45 AM

Ok, personal opinions and thoughts aside...have any of you considered these tires or heard anything from anyone else? I am surprised no one has commented yet.

thecarguy 12-29-2012 08:58 PM

Bueler

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App

Grande D 12-29-2012 09:05 PM

No.

In order of how much you're willing to spend (decreasing):

Michelin Pilot Super Sport->Continental DW-> Hankook V12 evo.

Driver08 12-30-2012 01:45 AM

A set of these came on my car. I wasn't thrilled as I have no familiarity with the brand. I'm in no way a name snob on tires but I am picky. They seem fine generally but but I don't have anything to compare them to on the E46. I'm new to the E46 but I have heard plenty of good about the Hankooks and I imagine they are pretty good on the cost/performance scale as Hankooks often are.

Grande D 12-30-2012 12:57 PM

I didn't know that you already had them. If you have them and have no complaints, keep them until they go bad. I just wouldn't put my money on them.

Driver08 12-30-2012 01:28 PM

To clarify, he doesn't have them. I'm not the original poster who was asking about them. I just randomly ended up with a set of these. Anyway, I'm not sure I would have bought them but but I can say thay work just fine- especially if cost is an issue.

thecarguy 12-31-2012 01:33 AM

I am a fan of Hankook but the Hankooks that compare are the RS3 NOT the V12 EVO. With that said, the RS3 are about $100 more per tire than the Federal. I am a skeptic more than not, but I have read good things about these Federals from other car forums, just not from BMW forums.

smares21 12-31-2012 02:26 AM

All the performance parts in the world aren't going to mean **** if the 8"x12" contact patches on each tire are crap. Tires is the last place to cheap out, especially on a car like an m3. Can't afford the maintenance? Don't buy the car.

Driver08 01-01-2013 09:24 PM

im sure that was helpful.

thecarguy 01-01-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smares21 (Post 15019738)
All the performance parts in the world aren't going to mean **** if the 8"x12" contact patches on each tire are crap. Tires is the last place to cheap out, especially on a car like an m3. Can't afford the maintenance? Don't buy the car.

Yeah I am aware of this little pearl of wisdom. What it seems though is that you know nothing about these tires. Just because the cost is low does not mean they don't perform. If you search google, like I stated above, they have received very good reviews from the STi and EVO forums. I simply wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with them.

Here is one of the threads that had quite a bit of info and response...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...l-595rs-r.html

smares21 01-01-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecarguy (Post 15023459)
Yeah I am aware of this little pearl of wisdom. What it seems though is that you know nothing about these tires. Just because the cost is low does not mean they don't perform. If you search google, like I stated above, they have received very good reviews from the STi and EVO forums. I simply wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with them.

Here is one of the threads that had quite a bit of info and response...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...l-595rs-r.html

You are comparing apples to oranges. AWD cars use tires in a significantly different manner than RWD or FWD vehicles do.

Back in the day, the Evo guys used to swear by the General Exclaim UHP as a good, cheap DD tire. Tried it on my E24, was garbage. Soft sidewall, poor grip, etc. But, soft sidewall doesn't mean as much in AWD due to the power shift properties...

Go find reviews of your federals from a *more* comparable vehicle. Try Corvette, 03/04 Terminators, 05+ mustang, etc. Something somewhat similar in weight, power, and driveline config. Then, make a decision.

thecarguy 01-01-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smares21 (Post 15023582)
You are comparing apples to oranges. AWD cars use tires in a significantly different manner than RWD or FWD vehicles do.

Back in the day, the Evo guys used to swear by the General Exclaim UHP as a good, cheap DD tire. Tried it on my E24, was garbage. Soft sidewall, poor grip, etc. But, soft sidewall doesn't mean as much in AWD due to the power shift properties...

Go find reviews of your federals from a *more* comparable vehicle. Try Corvette, 03/04 Terminators, 05+ mustang, etc. Something somewhat similar in weight, power, and driveline config. Then, make a decision.

Good points and noted. I guess overall I just don't feel comfortable going with them and hoped I would be convinced otherwise. Or I should say my wallet had hoped.

tock172 01-02-2013 01:21 AM

They are cheap as **** but also incredibly loud. I would only consider Federal tires as dedicated autocross tires destined to be shredded. Tough to beat considering their price and availability.

Rench 07-03-2013 01:26 PM

I love mine - Ortega Hwy , Angel crest canyon runs to prove it ! Not the BEST . . But the best for the money

VMRWheels 07-03-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rench (Post 15545152)
I love mine - Ortega Hwy , Angel crest canyon runs to prove it ! Not the BEST . . But the best for the money

Surprisingly the RS-R is a pretty solid performer for the price. One of our associates here has them on his Z and he likes them.