E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Debating 2013 STI for DD and AutoX Duty (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962711)

Locutus09 12-27-2012 05:26 PM

Debating 2013 STI for DD and AutoX Duty

With finally getting a job, comes time to get a new car for DD and a AWD car. I bum a car off my parents now for winter.

Company policy requires a 4-door.

So, I was considering the thought of buying a '13 Subaru STI or WRX (don't really know much yet) and modding into STU. Sure as hell would be cheaper and easier to be competitive with that car, and I don't have to worry about breaking anything on the M where it would cost twice as much. I would track the car as well (probably only once or twice a year). My thought is that the STI has a diff controller already, BBK, more boost...etc. It would be smarter to invest into a car like that rather than buying a WRX and adding this stuff later on.

The M would just be a weekend and summer car for me.

So anyone with valuable opinions please chime in.

Going to test drive a STI Saturday, I will hop into a WRX as well probably. Mainly looking at the 5-door, I like them. Not looking to purchase until June-Oct of next year. Just thinking ahead.

The only thing that concerns me is the dreaded ringland failure.

Would consider a Evo X. But after I add HID headlights the price skyrockets. Not to mention I have to have leather in order to have heated seats....etc. Still considering this as an option as well.

Please and thank you.

RockLee 12-27-2012 06:45 PM

Golf R?

Even though I prefer the STI.

cowmoo32 12-27-2012 06:50 PM

Wait, the company is letting you choose a car and they're paying?

HyeWarrior 12-27-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockLee (Post 15011541)
Golf R?

Even though I prefer the STI.

Only huge drawback about the Golf R is that you can't fully turn off the traction control (unless you do some shady ECU tweaks).

I'd say STI.

wannasupra 12-27-2012 06:57 PM

I didn't think dominoes required a 4 door.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

andrewrossnagel 12-27-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyeWarrior (Post 15011553)
Only huge drawback about the Golf R besides the inevitable reliability issues is that you can't fully turn off the traction control (unless you do some shady ECU tweaks).

I'd say STI.

fixed

dreamdrivedrift 12-27-2012 07:02 PM

STi or Evo for sure. Those things beast in the snow as well! Don't bother with the WRX if you're planning on modding it.

Locutus09 12-27-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 15011547)
Wait, the company is letting you choose a car and they're paying?

I get a set amount per month for a car. I will have to pay a little over this amount (figure ~$50/mo). But if it's for a car I want hell yea I'll pay more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift (Post 15011569)
STi or Evo for sure. Those things beast in the snow as well! Don't bother with the WRX if you're planning on modding it.

It will be prep'ed for STU (autocross)

SamDoe1 12-27-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus09 (Post 15011574)
It will be prep'ed for STU (autocross)

Not sure if this is still the case or not but the 5 speed manual in the WRX is/was a notorious weak point in the drive train. There have been numerous cases of blown 5 speed tranny's. My buddy has a modded WRX and just blew 3rd gear during his last track day. The 6 speed in the STi is far superior.

infinite012 12-27-2012 10:02 PM

I love my STI. It's a terrible daily driver if your commute is any longer than 15 minutes. The ringland failure is largely blown out of proportion due to the internet. There are plenty of STI owners who are not active on any online communities. My 2008 was supposedly one of the more prone years for this particular engine failure, but I'm still on engine one with 67,xxx miles on it with more than half of those miles at stage 2 (down pipe, intake, tuned ECU by Agile automotive) making 320whp and 340tq.

The transmission do not break on the STI, unless you're pushing over 500whp. And even then, it's still unlikely the transmission will fail before the axles...

Anymore questions?

B_Cyrus 12-27-2012 10:12 PM

why choose a brand new STI?

tock172 12-27-2012 10:28 PM

Seems like there isn't a better choice out there, given your requirements. I love the way the newer WRXs and STIs look in their 5 door form. I'm actually kicking around the idea of someday purchasing one myself...

PH03NIX46 12-27-2012 10:36 PM

If you weren't looking for new, I'd say older Evo...considering you'd really get a good bang for your buck both at a dragstrip and auto-x event.

The new Evos and STis are over-priced....$40k for a 4-cyl Japanese car? Lol..they depreciate like CRAZY.

New Evos: ~$40k
2010 Evos: $28k

Not worth it at all imo, even though I considered a nice new Evo X GSR for a few days, I'm glad I came to my senses.

---------------
I guess money doesn't seem to be a problem for you. I dunno, get what you want. The Evo motor > the STi motor though.

328ci906 12-27-2012 10:41 PM

Why the 4-door caveat? Unless your expected to cart people around, this just seems silly.

tock172 12-27-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 (Post 15011991)
If you weren't looking for new, I'd say older Evo...considering you'd really get a good bang for your buck both at a dragstrip and auto-x event.

The new Evos and STis are over-priced....$40k for a 4-cyl Japanese car? Lol..they depreciate like CRAZY.

New Evos: ~$40k
2010 Evos: $28k

Not worth it at all imo, even though I considered a nice new Evo X GSR for a few days, I'm glad I came to my senses.

---------------
I guess money doesn't seem to be a problem for you. I dunno, get what you want. The Evo motor > the STi motor though.

I'm not trying to start an argument or fight, but run those numbers with any car on the market and I'll bet the depreciation percentages are very similar, if not marginally worse for more upscale cars. I would say Subaru's are actually better than most for resale value. The market for used WRXs and STIs always seems to be strong, with decent resale value down the road. Of course the initial depreciation of driving off the lot is probably just as bad as the rest.

PH03NIX46 12-27-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tock172 (Post 15012018)
I'm not trying to start an argument or fight, but run those numbers with any car on the market and I'll bet the depreciation percentages are very similar, if not marginally worse for more upscale cars.

Yeah, I can see it. However, the main point I was trying to get across is that, brand new may not be the best option.

There are plenty of '10 Evos with <10,000 miles on the market, that generally haven't been molested.

I find the Evo X crowd to be far more tame than the guys running Evo 8s and 9s who seem to launch their cars at every red light. You don't really have as much of a worry considering it as an Evo and thinking it's probably been beat to ****.

tock172 12-27-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 (Post 15012021)
Yeah, I can see it. However, the main point I was trying to get across is that, brand new may not be the best option.

There are plenty of '10 Evos with <10,000 miles on the market, that generally haven't been molested.

I find the Evo X crowd to be far more tame than the guys running Evo 8s and 9s who seem to launch their cars on every red light. You don't really have as much of a worry considering it as an Evo and thinking it's probably been beat to ****.

You won't find me arguing with that. When it comes time for me to look for a newer vehicle, my first step after I decide what make and model I want will be to search for CPOs matching my desires.

Officer Cartman 12-28-2012 08:28 AM

I'd suggest considering the base WRX as well.. I was in a similar situation when I bought mine, and I just couldn't get past the almost $9K difference between the WRX and STI..

The power difference is easy to make up, and you can get a killer suspension and BBK setup after the fact, still leaving you with an extra $5K or so in your wallet.

No love for the 4-door sedan? Here's mine in stock form:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...39003717_n.jpg

SJTrance 12-28-2012 08:37 AM

Get the STi. It's the car you want and built more robustly with a better transmission. I'm thinking that a new car would be easier to justify and sort out with the company. Especially since you're going to be tracking the car, do the one that is built for the track. A few simple mods and this car will be a beast. Expect to have **** for gas mileage, though.

scowil 12-28-2012 09:12 AM

So with this job you are basiclly just getting a $xxx a month car allowance? Are they paying any gas or insurance? If are providing insurance you may need to look at tracking the car and such.