E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   What brakes are good (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962833)

kmalik20 12-28-2012 03:05 PM

What brakes are good
 
2004 BMW 325i
Looking to replace the brakes and rotors

Should I get Ceramic or Semi-metalic
Also what is a good brand
I am looking at the:

1. Wagner Thermo Quiet Semi metalic/ and ceramics
2. Wagner Quick Stop Semi Metalic/ and ceramic
3. Beck/Arnley Semi Metalic/ or ceramics (Apparently they are the same brand of Zimmerman)
4. Raybestos professional grade semi-metalic

What are your inputs, I am a daily driver. Perhaps someone has some experience with some of these brakes.

Mango 12-28-2012 03:13 PM

stock

Zell 12-28-2012 03:24 PM

EBC RedStuff. EBC makes great brake parts. Their quality control is really up there.

Mango 12-28-2012 03:26 PM

last time i installed ebc green stuff brake pads and ebc slotted rotors, i nearly crashed. they overheated drastically (driving very mildly on the street) when the fluid boiled and pedal sank all the way to the floor. This was 10 years ago on my 2002 civic (brand new civic) so i'm not sure if their stuff is better now.

7xWDC-MSC 12-28-2012 03:33 PM

I replaced mine with Padgid and love them, they aren't as dusty as OEM but still dusty. I believe OEM is Textar though if you wanna go that route.

BMW#3 12-28-2012 03:36 PM

Stock is always good. Or if you want to spend some extra money the bmw performance rotors are a little bit lighter and slotted. I have a set with stock pads and if nothing else they look good.

FenderGuy05 12-28-2012 04:32 PM

I wanted to keep the stopping power so avoided ceramics. I went with Akembo pads I believe, and brembo rotors. From what I understand that's OEM.

rcsummers 12-28-2012 04:37 PM

i have stoptech drilled/slotted rotors, akebono pads, motul red fluid. Slightly better braking performance than stock for me. but then again I have an M.

Mango 12-28-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 (Post 15013979)
I wanted to keep the stopping power so avoided ceramics. I went with Akembo pads I believe, and brembo rotors. From what I understand that's OEM.

Nope. Both aftermarket companies.

You meant Akebono, btw.

rcsummers 12-28-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 (Post 15013979)
I wanted to keep the stopping power so avoided ceramics. I went with Akembo pads I believe, and brembo rotors. From what I understand that's OEM.

BMW parts would be OEM.

Mango 12-28-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcsummers (Post 15014017)
BMW parts would be OEM.

BMW parts would be OE.

BMW parts with the roundels scratched off and/or identified by an OEM supplier would be OEM.

:hi:

Zell 12-28-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15013807)
last time i installed ebc green stuff brake pads and ebc slotted rotors, i nearly crashed. they overheated drastically (driving very mildly on the street) when the fluid boiled and pedal sank all the way to the floor. This was 10 years ago on my 2002 civic (brand new civic) so i'm not sure if their stuff is better now.

I've been told to stay away from GreenStuff as well, but RedStuff seems to be the sweet spot.

tock172 12-28-2012 05:43 PM

I'm running Zimmermann Rotors & Ate pads. If I were to do it all over again, I would get Ate rotors & textar pads or jurid pads.

Mango 12-28-2012 05:57 PM

i love the brembos except the rusting. sholud have painted it or gone zimmerman since i think they are coated. dont like the zimmermans?

i'm using ate pads front, textar pads rear.

tock172 12-28-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15014276)
i love the brembos except the rusting. sholud have painted it or gone zimmerman since i think they are coated. dont like the zimmermans?

i'm using ate pads front, textar pads rear.

The zimmermann rotors are excellent. Absolutely no complaints. No rusting problem either.

I have reason to believe the OE rotors are actually manufactured by Ate, so what's why I'd probably go Ate next time. I feel they might be cheaper as well by a few dollars.

BBBoy323i 12-28-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 (Post 15013979)
I wanted to keep the stopping power so avoided ceramics. I went with Akembo pads I believe, and brembo rotors. From what I understand that's OEM.

I have the same setup as you for my fronts :thumbsup: they are pretty good.

Mango 12-28-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tock172 (Post 15014289)
The zimmermann rotors are excellent. Absolutely no complaints. No rusting problem either.

I have reason to believe the OE rotors are actually manufactured by Ate, so what's why I'd probably go Ate next time. I feel they might be cheaper as well by a few dollars.

IIRC, the Ate and Genuine BMW rotors look different. I don't think any other branded rotors match the dark gray look of the BMW ones. While ATE might make a lot of OE brake components for BMW, not 100% sure about the rotors. check it out

E46330iguy 12-28-2012 06:53 PM

I run Stoptec Rotors and pads, They work great for the track but they are a bit noisy. If your 100% street use just go stock http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._5341202_n.jpg

sfcjetjr 12-28-2012 06:54 PM

Bmw oem. Dust yeah, but comes with the territory. Stop trying to fight it. Look at every other European car, same issue.

E46330iguy 12-28-2012 06:57 PM

To give you an idea on the dust that comes off my stoptec rotors/pads, My rims where perfectly clean before i went to take that picture, I drove maybe an hour and they looked like that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use