E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Computer Techies, help me out? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962860)

L3MONz 12-28-2012 07:36 PM

Computer Techies, help me out?
 
My computer from 2005 has been recently getting constant BSoD and would only turn on after countless tries hitting the on/off button. This beastly HP computer had an upgraded 8600GT video card with 320gb hd, So I think its time for me to get an upgrade. Back then I would use this computer to play CoD4 and MW2 on medium-high graphic settings.

What I'm looking for is a desktop pc without the monitor, keyboard/mouse is optional in order to save some money. My budget is around $450-$550, don't really want to spend that much.

I've never built my own PC before but I think I'd be able to build one without a problem since I've heard that prebuilt PC's are rip-offs. But I did find a couple cheap options for myself:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-P7-1490-Pav...productDetails

I want something that could be used as a cheap alternative to a gaming PC. Something that would be able to play todays current games on medium-high.

04yfz 12-28-2012 07:45 PM

This is a great deal for the money.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8652...fi-n-windows-8

tock172 12-28-2012 07:46 PM

I used to build PCs and you're right, it's always cheaper to build you're own than to buy one prebuilt. There a few odds and ends to know, but for the most part it isn't that hard. Check out Newegg.com for a great selection of parts, good prices and fast shipping.

L3MONz 12-28-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tock172 (Post 15014403)
I used to build PCs and you're right, it's always cheaper to build you're own than to buy one prebuilt. There a few odds and ends to know, but for the most part it isn't that hard. Check out Newegg.com for a great selection of parts, good prices and fast shipping.

Aftter looking at this site http://www.logicalincrements.com/ I've noticed that the Dell pc previously posted has much better specs than the ones on the website considering their price/spec.

L3MONz 12-28-2012 08:55 PM

I was thinking of another alternative.. Could it also work if I just upgraded the CPU, MOBO, video card, and HDD while keeping the case, PSU, and other stuff from my current pc?

Kain 12-28-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3MONz (Post 15014611)
I was thinking of another alternative.. Could it also work if I just upgraded the CPU, MOBO, video card, and HDD while keeping the case, PSU, and other stuff from my current pc?

All depends on how good your current power supply is. Secondly, if I am not mistaken, some of the connectors for components that hook-up to the power supply have changed since 2005. Not sure though!

Mike325i 12-28-2012 10:54 PM

I wouldn't re-use anything from a 7-8 year old computer. There are several paths you may choose when building one. If you don't need something very powerful and want to play games at medium to high settings, some of AMD's APU are pretty good. The cpu may not be as fast as an intel cpu, but the built in gpu is much better than any intel integrated. It can even rival some of the more budget video cards, which would play games at medium to high settings. Something like this is what I'm referring too. This cpu is also the top model in it's class. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113280

L3MONz 12-30-2012 03:51 AM

I need a quick response here.

What do you guys think about this pc http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=5187022 for $400? It's a refurb and comes with an AMD A10-5700 3.4ghz quad core. Seems like a good deal to me, right?

nikkeiS2K 12-30-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3MONz (Post 15017526)
I need a quick response here.

What do you guys think about this pc http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=5187022 for $400? It's a refurb and comes with an AMD A10-5700 3.4ghz quad core. Seems like a good deal to me, right?

Seems like a great deal for the price.

L3MONz 12-30-2012 04:03 AM

I'm not too sure about going for AMD tho. I've always been an intel guy and that chip looks rather cheap as it sells for only $125 on newegg... I'll probably end up buying a new video card and PSU so that will raise the price up a bit more for me. Unless the intergrated card that it comes with is good enough to withstand medium-high graphics?

Big Rick 12-30-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04yfz (Post 15014400)
This is a great deal for the money.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8652...fi-n-windows-8

I would avoid AMD also. I have never seen one last over any length of time.

I like the one posted above... Though I would try for a W7 downgrade, personally.

TheRarp 12-30-2012 08:26 AM

Check the following options:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ers-_-Spot%207

wasp9166 12-30-2012 10:59 AM

i used to build desktops for gaming, i don't bother anymore

the "is always cheaper" doesn't hold true anymore considering time invested

you can def have better parts and a better rig however, but, since the prices have come way down on prebuilts, i just don't think it's worth it anymore

get a lenovo if you got the coin

if not, it's a crap shoot

SPDSKTR 12-30-2012 04:58 PM

I plan on building my girlfriend a new PC. I'm still trying to learn about the ins and outs of PC building, but it doesn't seem that difficult.

As for the constant BSoD's, how's your RAM look?

Mike325i 12-30-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3MONz (Post 15017543)
I'll probably end up buying a new video card and PSU so that will raise the price up a bit more for me. Unless the intergrated card that it comes with is good enough to withstand medium-high graphics?

That defeats the purpose of the selected APU. The integrated graphics is rather decent for what it is. If you were to upgrade parts, then you might as well build your own.

L3MONz 12-30-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 15018404)
I plan on building my girlfriend a new PC. I'm still trying to learn about the ins and outs of PC building, but it doesn't seem that difficult.

As for the constant BSoD's, how's your RAM look?

It's fine I guess. It currently has 4gb of ram but it is only utilizing 3.5 of it since thats all my computer can take.

z00 12-30-2012 06:35 PM

I have built computers for many years. If you're on a budget you cannot beat AMD. I have had great success with them. Combined APU (CPU + GPU), pick a decent one, compatible MB, HD, 8GB RAM, you're all set.

You can use the case from your old PC but you'll need to get a new power supply (400W should be enough for you from Antec). If you're not adventitious. Then buy a case with a good power supply.

If you go over 4GB of RAM, you'll need a 64-bit OS. You can save more by not running windows (if you already have a copy you're ok). Linux as Steam supports games on it now.

Eliott's-BMW 12-30-2012 07:56 PM

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...23/untitle.JPG

wasp9166 12-30-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 15018404)
I plan on building my girlfriend a new PC. I'm still trying to learn about the ins and outs of PC building, but it doesn't seem that difficult.

As for the constant BSoD's, how's your RAM look?

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use