E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   So I've got a 6920 sitting around. Sell it to buy a DD MK18? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962905)

david05111 12-29-2012 12:11 AM

So I've got a 6920 sitting around. Sell it to buy a DD MK18?
 
Copied my thread from arfcom.

I have a Colt 6920 sitting in my closet collecting dust. Now, I'm not one to be a complete dick and capitalize on the current state of things, but I'm also realistic. At the moment, I could sell it for like $2000 tomorrow, maybe a little more.

Anyway, local dealer has Daniel Defense MK18s in stock for like $13xx + taxes, etc. So, theoretically, I could sell the 6920, buy the MK18, pay the tax, and still be left with a few hundred to play with for an optic or something maybe.

Understandably, I expect to get a few comments saying I'm price gouging. And I can understand those arguments, but I see it as simple supply and demand. We don't criticize dealers for making a profit on their goods, like pmags they probably buy for $6-8 and sell for $12-16. It's just simple supply and demand.


With those thoughts in mind, what I'm really looking for is an opinion on the long-term benefits of one over the other. Does anyone see an advantage to owning one over the other at the moment?

Just for reference, I already have in my collection 2 SBRs and a Colt M16. The 6920 is the only non-nfa AR that I have at the moment. And I'll soon have a Noveske 10.x inch 5.56 upper, so that might negate some of the greatness that is a DD mk18 in the same length. Not sure

All opinions welcome and appreciated.

CollinsE90 12-29-2012 12:17 AM

Sell it to me for $750

david05111 12-29-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinsE90 (Post 15015143)
Sell it to me for $750

Haha sorry buddy

Reedo302 12-29-2012 01:19 AM

Honestly, I would hang on to it. If you're not desperate for money, it's better to hang on to it. If an AWB of any form passes, Grandfathered guns will be worth their weight in gold. If you need something down the line, you don't have to worry because you have the pre-ban lower. OR, if there's a ban, the value of the rifle will skyrocket.

Now, if you do want to sell it for money and take advantage of this frenzy, you should be going for paydirt. If you're gonna price-gouge, don't pussyfoot around; really gouge the **** out of it. Start at $3000 or $3500 or something like that. Leaves room for bargaining, but it also opens the door for some desperate numbnuts to scoop it up at your price. Given the panicked state of the market, you can really play some games and probably convince someone to give you some ridiculous amount of money.

david05111 12-29-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 15015196)
Honestly, I would hang on to it. If you're not desperate for money, it's better to hang on to it. If an AWB of any form passes, Grandfathered guns will be worth their weight in gold. If you need something down the line, you don't have to worry because you have the pre-ban lower. OR, if there's a ban, the value of the rifle will skyrocket.

Now, if you do want to sell it for money and take advantage of this frenzy, you should be going for paydirt. If you're gonna price-gouge, don't pussyfoot around; really gouge the **** out of it. Start at $3000 or $3500 or something like that. Leaves room for bargaining, but it also opens the door for some desperate numbnuts to scoop it up at your price. Given the panicked state of the market, you can really play some games and probably convince someone to give you some ridiculous amount of money.

I've been watching the market and prices have settled a bit. I think the max I could get out of it is $2200-2500 at the moment.

The DD is in stock right now. And it's already made and pre-ban. So essentially, I'd be swapping the Colt for the DD and some cash. I couldn't have the weapon until at least June or July, but it would still be grandfathered I think. And I don't know if I bought it whether or not getting the upper early and leaving the lower is an option. Then I could throw it on one of my SBR lowers right now.

You're right though...if there is a ban, and it doesn't require all of them get entered into the NFA database and allows for transfer of grandfathered weapons, the 16 would be more valuable, as more people could buy it.

Decisions, decisions...

NOVAbimmer 12-29-2012 06:47 AM

if Feinstein's ban passes, it'll be worth it's weight in gravel, as you won't (legally) be allowed to sell it to anyone.

Adam@Euro-Spec 12-29-2012 07:19 AM

:eeps: sell the 1000 rounds of ammo buy dd mk18 keep the 6920. I'd want at least 1 non nfa rifle. Much easier if you want to travel with it. To bad you couldn't buy the mk18 and take the upper home that day..you could part it out in an hour and pay for the registered sbr lower.
Dd upper receiver 200-250
Dd bcg 350
Barrel 300
Rail 350
Ch 25

Serbonze 12-29-2012 08:03 AM

Keep it.

david05111 12-29-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 15015475)
:eeps: sell the 1000 rounds of ammo buy dd mk18 keep the 6920. I'd want at least 1 non nfa rifle. Much easier if you want to travel with it. To bad you couldn't buy the mk18 and take the upper home that day..you could part it out in an hour and pay for the registered sbr lower.
Dd upper receiver 200-250
Dd bcg 350
Barrel 300
Rail 350
Ch 25

The xtac hasn't gotten here yet. I feel like I'm throwing all my eggs in one basket buying this many ARs though. And I'm worried about getting ammo in the future a bit...

Sentaruu 12-29-2012 08:41 AM

if anything i'd stock up on ammo. you already have a crap ton of nfa items that more than likely wont be affected by this ban. so why buy another non-nfa that will probably have to be registered nfa down the line

david05111 12-29-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentaruu (Post 15015545)
if anything i'd stock up on ammo. you already have a crap ton of nfa items that more than likely wont be affected by this ban. so why buy another non-nfa that will probably have to be registered nfa down the line

Ahh but the MK18 IS NFA...so I would be trading a non-NFA for an NFA. Or ammo for an NFA.

I actually got to thinking about this last night. I could sell the colt and grab the mk18 + a mini4 suppressor for the same money (minus the stamps)...

Sentaruu 12-29-2012 08:53 AM

oooh didnt realize, idk then... thats tough. i wouldnt want to go ammo for nfa unless i had a **** ton of it

Reedo302 12-29-2012 10:12 PM

Honestly, I'd rather have a Mk18 also. I would just want to make sure it was a DD, LMT or Colt.

david05111 12-29-2012 10:46 PM

If it's still at the shop when I get back to town on Monday, I'll grab it and sell the colt later. I'm in Atlanta for a wedding and I doubt they would accept a deposit on it.

tailo 12-29-2012 10:47 PM

Depending if you can get that for the colt.

Around here prices for higher end AR's have been matched and even surpassed by cheap brands... It's a strange thing but people hear bushmaster and they will pay more for it then colt.

I'd keep it and buy the DD also.

david05111 12-29-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 15017147)
Depending if you can get that for the colt.

Around here prices for higher end AR's have been matched and even surpassed by cheap brands... It's a strange thing but people hear bushmaster and they will pay more for it then colt.

I'd keep it and buy the DD also.

Haha I'm not made of money though! :bawling:

TSR6 12-29-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 15017147)
Depending if you can get that for the colt.

Around here prices for higher end AR's have been matched and even surpassed by cheap brands... It's a strange thing but people hear bushmaster and they will pay more for it then colt.

I'd keep it and buy the DD also.

Bushmasters were selling for $1050, Colts for $1500 as of before this **** blew up via my local store...

david05111 12-29-2012 11:49 PM

I have a message into them asking to call and have them run my card and set one aside. Told 'em I'd stop by after new years to sign everything and submit the form 4, etc. No idea whether they'll approve the deal or not

Whammy 12-30-2012 11:05 AM

I would love to grab the Colt. Sadly, I am not wiling to pay $2000 for it. :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use