E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How should I check fluid level on auto trans (GM unit) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963054)

Ruthlessone3k 12-30-2012 07:35 AM

How should I check fluid level on auto trans (GM unit)

I have a simple question about checking fluid level for the GM automatic trans. As most of you know there is no dip-stick for checking the fluid level. You have to check it at the fill plug underneath the car. I keep hearing that it needs to be setting level to be checked which seems rather obvious. But the I look and realize that the chassis and the base of the trans are setting at different angles. So which needs to be setting level? or the trans? I've seen it done on youtube where the mechanic checked the level along the lip of the trans fluid pan where it meets the trans housing. Others were less descriptive and just said it needs to be level and seemed to be refering to the chassis. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. :hmm:

Thanks

jfoj 12-30-2012 08:29 AM

Level surface, fluid temp between 100-125F (38-52C), engine running with transmission in park.

Zchild 12-30-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthlessone3k (Post 15017686)
I have a simple question about checking fluid level for the GM automatic trans. As most of you know there is no dip-stick for checking the fluid level. You have to check it at the fill plug underneath the car. I keep hearing that it needs to be setting level to be checked which seems rather obvious. But the I look and realize that the chassis and the base of the trans are setting at different angles. So which needs to be setting level? or the trans? I've seen it done on youtube where the mechanic checked the level along the lip of the trans fluid pan where it meets the trans housing. Others were less descriptive and just said it needs to be level and seemed to be refering to the chassis. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. :hmm:

Thanks

Out of sheer curiosity how many miles on the bimmer? I change both the transmission fluid in my manual and automatic every 60k whether they need it or not and have never checked the levels in the interim with great success. Just my two and a half cents worth...

jfoj 12-30-2012 08:55 AM

^+1 - Wise owner!

Ruthlessone3k 12-30-2012 09:26 AM

I put it on a frame lift when I filled it, and adjusted the pads of the lift up till they were touching the lift points on the chassis before raising the lift. The problem is that my car is lowered quite a bit and I'm afraid that with the changes in front and rear height, that it may not be "level" when setting on level ground. I don't know if this would be enough to effect it but I just dont want to take any risks. I hate automatics and never really work with them so this is all new to me.

I just recently bought the car and the previous owner had just done a fluid / filter change but hadn't gotten it all the way full. So I did it again to make sure it was full and to get as much fresh fluid in it as possible. It has about 150k miles on it.