E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bad AA Diverter valve? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963081)

05aazhp 12-30-2012 01:16 PM

Bad AA Diverter valve?

Hey,

I have been trying to track down a possible vacuum leak. I have been getting a "idle speed implausible, air leakage" code. I clear it and it comes back in a day. I did several boost leak tests without finding anything. Today I did a smoke test with a home made smoke machine (glow plug and mineral oil). The only smoke leak I could find was one out of the back of the diverter valve, the port that vents to atmosphere. My understanding is that that is there to allow the diaphragm/spring to move up and down as necessary. If that is the case and I am getting smoke out of it, could the diaphragm be torn??? Any ideas would help.

Symptoms
Engine Code Idle speed implausible, air leakage
High idle - 1000rpm
Idle hangs once clutch is pressed, hangs at 1300 or so for about 2 seconds before seddling down to 1000rpm.

Set up
05 zhp
aa stage 2.5

TrippinBimmer 12-30-2012 07:26 PM

I am about to change my Diverter Valve to a Tial Recir Q Valve. It will be the last thing that AA build/label on my car. (All been replace with better or higher quality parts)

05aazhp 12-30-2012 07:56 PM

Are you changing it as a preventative measure or changing it due to suspected failure?

TrippinBimmer 12-31-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05aazhp (Post 15018851)
Are you changing it as a preventative measure or changing it due to suspected failure?

Both...As the valve is adjusted by a screw. So I really don't know what HgV when the valve opening. So I rather go to a spring setup...to me more reliable and proven setup. Personal Preference...

As for your issues. I would hit up Viral hopefully he can help you. :)

drumbum624 12-31-2012 11:18 AM

Just a thought, might your diverter valve not be hooked up properly? I accidentally ran mine backwards for a little bit. Make sure your entry and exit from the valve is right

coinage 12-31-2012 11:24 AM

Have you pulled vacuum on the valve to see if it holds?

05aazhp 12-31-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumbum624 (Post 15020415)
Just a thought, might your diverter valve not be hooked up properly? I accidentally ran mine backwards for a little bit. Make sure your entry and exit from the valve is right

The in and out is not changeable on this diverter valve. One side gets bolted onto the intake pipe and the other is round and gets sent back towards the supercharger via a small rubber coupler.

05aazhp 12-31-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coinage (Post 15020424)
Have you pulled vacuum on the valve to see if it holds?

I don't have a small vacuum pump to try this. Could I just force open the valve and cover the vacuum nipple. This should hold the valve open correct??

bigjae1976 01-02-2013 07:24 AM

Mine does the same thing. Swap in a new recirc valve from AA...did the same thing.

05aazhp 01-02-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 15024228)
Mine does the same thing. Swap in a new recirc valve from AA...did the same thing.

So I am assuming that the my valve is working properly. I did email AA about this and am waiting for a response. I will update you on what they say. Im thinking that this may be an issue with the tune. I forgot to mention that this started once I installed my re flashed computer. The computers estimated MPG also way off saying im getting an average of 29 mpg....in winter.....in Wisconsin. Its 12 degrees out today. There is no way im getting that. The little instantaneous gauge also is off saying that I am typically getting 50mpg, which is also incorrect.

bigjae1976 01-02-2013 07:56 PM

I've been told that an exhaust leak with aftermarket headers can cause idle surge and weird idling. The claim was that exhaust air is pulled back up across the O2 sensors between pulses. I guess this is not an issue with the OEM manifolds since the cat is between the precat O2 sensors? I kept burning through gaskets so I just had some V-bands installed.

But my idle still surges a bit but not terrible. I still think the tune is not totally correct.

I plan to get Eurocharged to do my tune in the near future. Remote tuning was such a PIA.

05aazhp 01-03-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 15026037)
I've been told that an exhaust leak with aftermarket headers can cause idle surge and weird idling. The claim was that exhaust air is pulled back up across the O2 sensors between pulses. I guess this is not an issue with the OEM manifolds since the cat is between the precat O2 sensors? I kept burning through gaskets so I just had some V-bands installed.

But my idle still surges a bit but not terrible. I still think the tune is not totally correct.

I plan to get Eurocharged to do my tune in the near future. Remote tuning was such a PIA.

I have heard this as well but I do not think that this is the issue. The idle issue started immediately after I installed the returned AA computer.

05aazhp 01-03-2013 09:27 AM

This is AA's response to my guestion

"The BOV leak seems to be your biggest issue. Do you have the ability to test it with a vacuum pump, or have a local shop that could look the car over? The nipple on the other side should not have smoke coming out of it, and the diaphragm could be torn.

The MPG reading will be off because of the larger injectors that go along with the kit. Instantaneous MPG is calculated by using the injector duty cycle signal. This signal is going to be very different with larger injectors and will therefore register incorrectly."

I am going to test the valve this weekend using a hand held vacuum pump. If it is for sure bad, is there a rebuild kit for this? I would hate to spend a bunch of money on a new valve when I could just replace a molded piece of rubber......

TrippinBimmer 01-03-2013 10:38 AM

Should ask active that question. As its there BOV.

05aazhp 01-03-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer (Post 15027353)
Should ask active that question. As its there BOV.

I did earlier, I am waiting for a response. I was just wondering if anybody has repaired them before. I have had no luck searching.

TrippinBimmer 01-03-2013 09:40 PM

Is your car an Auto?

BrianSpilner 01-03-2013 10:51 PM

You should look into running an Alpha-N tune so you do not have to recirculate, and to avoid these problems. Also, upgrade to a Tial Q blowoff valve.

bigjae1976 01-03-2013 11:03 PM

Has anyone got Alpha-N right on an MS45 DME?

TrippinBimmer 01-04-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 15029883)
Has anyone got Alpha-N right on an MS45 DME?

Nope...

Mormon 01-04-2013 03:37 PM

Subbed