E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   100 dollars cash, come flash my car with eu2 tune! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963193)

straight_beamin 12-31-2012 06:32 AM

100 dollars cash, come flash my car with eu2 tune!

Im in niagara falls and need an emission test soon. Come flash eu2 tune i will pay you 100 dollars. Beats spending 400 on active tune.. Ive tried foolin around but dont want to bother figuring it out. PM if interested

ac_2007 12-31-2012 07:50 AM

Hey, you sold me your MAF sensor a while back.

Just an FYI, you will fail emissions with the EU2 tune starting in 2013 with the new OBD test.
All emissions systems need to be seen as "active/ready", and your post-cat sensors will show up as "N/A, not ready" with this tune.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but for informational purposes I'll tell you:
$40 O2 simulators on your after-cat sensors, on your stock tune, will let you pass emissions.

straight_beamin 12-31-2012 08:32 AM

I hope they will fit into my ebay headers. Or do the simulators get mounted in the drug bin?

jared_wiesner 12-31-2012 09:24 AM

You'll fail either way with the EURO 2 tune. With the new 2013 standards or with the current standard. Trust me I know...

The only way to pass with the the new standard is to have a computer that is completely happy with all monitors passed. Means a tune or 02 simulators.

jamex 12-31-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 15020135)

Just an FYI, you will fail emissions with the EU2 tune starting in 2013 with the new OBD test.
All emissions systems need to be seen as "active/ready", and your post-cat sensors will show up as "N/A, not ready" with this tune.

$40 O2 simulators on your after-cat sensors, on your stock tune, will let you pass emissions.

Fellow Ontarions unite! Glad to see a few local folks in this thread with some additional info on the driveclean ODB standards. With the sniffer gone, I'm curious how strict they're going to get with visual + ODB scrutiny.

AC_2007, did you ever tinker with the LC-1 wideband?

So I guess the EU tune is only good for getting rid of the pesky CEL?

straight_beamin 12-31-2012 12:16 PM

O2 simulators it is :)

jared_wiesner 12-31-2012 12:54 PM

02 sims/LC-1 or a tune that can pass the monitors.

SoloII///M 12-31-2012 02:05 PM

O2 sims will not pass an OBD-II test that requires ready codes to be set. The only way to do it is with the LC-1 method, which works a treat.

jared_wiesner 12-31-2012 02:26 PM

Some 02 sims can if well designed, but they have to put out the required voltages at the required times. Technically my epic tune has the monitors ready and everything was tuned out. So a tune can do it too

straight_beamin 12-31-2012 02:32 PM

Where is the cheapest place to buy the lc-1?

TerraPhantm 12-31-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 15020135)

There's a very big difference between "N/A" and "not ready" -- N/A implies that the car did not come from the factory with specific equipment. For example, no E46 came with EGR, so that test will always come up as N/A.

That said, I would think(hope) that most emissions techs would realize something was probably messed with if the catalytic converters come up as not applicable.

smooth1 12-31-2012 07:43 PM

You'd be surprised what they'll miss when they zone out because of repetitive behavior. Just hope the software they run is still a version that generalizes.

ac_2007 12-31-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerraPhantm (Post 15021368)
There's a very big difference between "N/A" and "not ready" -- N/A implies that the car did not come from the factory with specific equipment. For example, no E46 came with EGR, so that test will always come up as not ready.

That said, I would think(hope) that most emissions techs would realize something was probably messed with if the catalytic converters come up as not applicable.

You're absolutely correct. I wasn't sure of the exact wording.

I believe that the system is idiot proof straight from the government, checking for the essential emissions equipment. Either way, this means a lot less work or money spent for those with catless headers.

Some are happy :)

smooth1 01-01-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 15021460)
You're absolutely correct. I wasn't sure of the exact wording.

I believe that the system is idiot proof straight from the government, checking for the essential emissions equipment. Either way, this means a lot less work or money spent for those with catless headers.

Some are happy :)

It's not. It generalizes (But that may change). I've disabled monitors on vehicles and also set others to ready. The guys never think twice about it or check up any further.

ac_2007 01-01-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smooth1 (Post 15022271)
It's not. It generalizes (But that may change). I've disabled monitors on vehicles and also set others to ready. The guys never think twice about it or check up any further.

Any vehicle after 1998 must have that equipment ready. This is not to be confused with OBD1, which came out a few years prior.

smooth1 01-01-2013 11:46 AM

I'm not talking about OBD1... Obviously if I'm disabling monitors we're talking about OBD2.

smooth1 01-01-2013 11:51 AM

And it's actually 1996 that OBD2 became standard in the US, except on certain vehicles that were in the queue from previous years. Like some Ford F150s etc.

TerraPhantm 01-02-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 15022298)
Any vehicle after 1998 must have that equipment ready. This is not to be confused with OBD1, which came out a few years prior.

Technically speaking there is no such thing as OBDI. OBDI is just a term used to collectively refer to all the proprietary diagnostics that existed before the OBDII standard was required (I think technically there were a few 94/95 American cars that partially conformed to OBDII and are now dubbed "OBD1.5").

And at least the way most US inspection laws are written, OBDII cars can have x number of monitors set to not ready. In most states, that is limited to 1 monitor for 01+ cars. However N/A is a completely different story -- N/A implies the vehicle didn't come with certain equipment factory. It'd be assinine to fail someone for equipment that didn't come installed from the factory, so N/A monitors aren't counted towards that limit.

Flashing to European tunes sets some of the tests to N/A since some emissions equipment wasn't there in Europe. Non-M E46s for example didn't come with secondary air pumps. That equipment isn't monitored, and it therefore will be flagged as N/A. So with an EU3 tune, you probably will get away with not having an SAP (since many cars don't have them at all even in this country). The cat free tunes set the cat monitors to not applicable as well. Any tech with half a brain *should* know that such a vehicle must have been modified, but apparently many don't bother looking closely (I imagine the machines say "FAIL" in big letters if more than one test comes up as not ready).

I'm not sure how emissions stations will treat EU2 tunes. EU2 car existed before the EOBD standard (european version of OBDII) was rolled out - and as such, they don't really conform to OBDII at all. This is why the "Key On, Engine Off" CEL doesn't illuminate on EU2 cars. I don't know if the machine will simply error out with these cars, or if everything will come up as n/a.

straight_beamin 01-02-2013 11:15 AM

Maybe i should get the eu2 tune and take a shot at the etest. If that fails i will just get the o2 simulator.

ac_2007 01-02-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerraPhantm (Post 15023916)
Technically speaking there is no such thing as OBDI. OBDI is just a term used to collectively refer to all the proprietary diagnostics that existed before the OBDII standard was required (I think technically there were a few 94/95 American cars that partially conformed to OBDII and are now dubbed "OBD1.5").

And at least the way most US inspection laws are written, OBDII cars can have x number of monitors set to not ready. In most states, that is limited to 1 monitor for 01+ cars. However N/A is a completely different story -- N/A implies the vehicle didn't come with certain equipment factory. It'd be assinine to fail someone for equipment that didn't come installed from the factory, so N/A monitors aren't counted towards that limit.

Flashing to European tunes sets some of the tests to N/A since some emissions equipment wasn't there in Europe. Non-M E46s for example didn't come with secondary air pumps. That equipment isn't monitored, and it therefore will be flagged as N/A. So with an EU3 tune, you probably will get away with not having an SAP (since many cars don't have them at all even in this country). The cat free tunes set the cat monitors to not applicable as well. Any tech with half a brain *should* know that such a vehicle must have been modified, but apparently many don't bother looking closely (I imagine the machines say "FAIL" in big letters if more than one test comes up as not ready).

I'm not sure how emissions stations will treat EU2 tunes. EU2 car existed before the EOBD standard (european version of OBDII) was rolled out - and as such, they don't really conform to OBDII at all. This is why the "Key On, Engine Off" CEL doesn't illuminate on EU2 cars. I don't know if the machine will simply error out with these cars, or if everything will come up as n/a.

I appreciate the thorough explanation.

So far I've discussed the EU2 scenario with a few testing stations, and my personal mechanic. From what they've told me, the system is idiot proof in terms of equipment that the car must have by law. Therefore, post-cat O2 monitoring is mandatory, even if SAP or other EGR systems may come up as N/A.

This is just what I've been told. Worst case scenario I can go for my emissions test with EU2, fail, and come back after a reflash to my original software. As the test was before, you couldn't "test run" a car to see if it would pass - the results would go straight to records. Not sure how it is now, but I'm pretty sure the mechanic can use their code scanner to check the readiness of my emissions equipment, and tell me beforehand.