E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Political Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Current and Former Military-Whats your political affiliation? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963557)

Swish 01-02-2013 05:03 PM

Current and Former Military-Whats your political affiliation?

I've always know military members to be pro Republican (Im actually a registered Republican), and why you've chosen a particular party, but wanted to know how the military members of the fanatics went. I understand if you want to remain silent about this, but Im hoping for some good replies.

I always understood the Republican party to be more beneficial for the military, but I intend to remain open on who I vote for in the future.

MDydinanM 01-02-2013 05:05 PM

Used to be conservative in my early years, but as I got older, became more moderate. Now I consider myself an independent and not registered with any party. I chose to be an independent since I'm conservative on some issues, liberal in others. That, and my choice is probably related to external influences such as education, world/life experiences, wife, etc that shapes my thinking. Also, I'm not really impressed with either party lately - given what's going on.

Should make this a poll! :hi:

Wraisil 01-02-2013 05:41 PM

Firmly independent. I believe in promoting the rights of people unless doing so infringes on the rights of others, responsible and necessary military funding, and fiscal responsibility. Democrats have a huge lead in the first, neither cares for the second (though Republicans tend to prefer over-spending and over-use of the military relative to Democrats tendency to prefer underfunding and over-use of the military), and neither party really advances fiscal responsibility. A political "quiz" would put me center leaning libertarian, but the libertarian party isn't very libertarian on many issues so I can't identify with them. That's only a few of the many areas of politics I have strong feelings about, but those are some of the biggest ones for me.

217Bimmer 01-02-2013 05:49 PM

i'm not military, but i agree that in my view the military has historically been more pro republican, but i have been surprised in the last 10 or more years that it seems to be shifting. friends i have in the military who in the past i would say have more republican views really took a sharp turn after the bush years and war in iraq. the multiple and extended deployments for a war, which most americans and they themselves saw as unnecessary, really had them rethink their party affiliation. friends i have that were deployed were especially pissed about being sent to iraq and how they were treated and overextended time and again. they are the ones who take the brunt of the anti american views when our reputation across the globe is tarnished by our international blunders. when i talk to them they are outright embarrassed of how the war in iraq was handled and how incompetent those in charge seemed to have been, especially the administration and manipulation of intelligence.

MDydinanM 01-02-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 217Bimmer (Post 15025674)
i'm not military, but i agree that in my view the military has historically been more pro republican, but i have been surprised in the last 10 or more years that it seems to be shifting. friends i have in the military who in the past i would say have more republican views really took a sharp turn after the bush years and war in iraq. the multiple and extended deployments for a war, which most americans and they themselves saw as unnecessary, really had them rethink their party affiliation. friends i have that were deployed were especially pissed about being sent to iraq and how they were treated and overextended time and again. they are the ones who take the brunt of the anti american views when our reputation across the globe is tarnished by our international blunders. when i talk to them they are outright embarrassed of how the war in iraq was handled and how incompetent those in charge seemed to have been, especially the administration and manipulation of intelligence.

Probably saw the same thing in Vietnam, where Vets changed their thinking.

Silver_Surfer 01-02-2013 05:52 PM

Registered republican, but voted libertarian in the last election. Plan to do so until things start changing.

217Bimmer 01-02-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 15025686)

i would imagine you are correct.

Raymond42262 01-02-2013 06:44 PM

I consider myself Conservative, not Republican.

POLL ?

vilseck21 01-02-2013 06:52 PM

I dont vote for a party, I vote for the best man, however I like my liberties and do not like goverment interference into my personal life, possesions and income.

NOVAbimmer 01-02-2013 08:15 PM

staunch libertarian.

bimmerfan08 01-02-2013 08:38 PM

Had I went in military I would have still been independent. I vote with logic and what is best for the people and the country.

SD 328I 01-02-2013 08:40 PM

Started as a democrat, became a republican, currently an independent.

rdsesq 01-02-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 15025686)

Being in a military family, on military bases during that time and post Nam and my father served multiple tours in Nam. I believe there was much less "party abandonment" among Vets. That was still a "draft war". People drafted into the service whether they wanted it our not. This is not to say that some party defection (one way or the other) didn't happen as a result of their service. But, most were of the same political leanings coming out as they were going in. (I will admit to a reasonably small sample size in my experience of conversation with them, a few dozen. But, that is a take from somebody who was around the military and Vets during that late 1960's- mid-1980's era.)

MDydinanM 01-03-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsesq (Post 15026530)
Being in a military family, on military bases during that time and post Nam and my father served multiple tours in Nam. I believe there was much less "party abandonment" among Vets. That was still a "draft war". People drafted into the service whether they wanted it our not. This is not to say that some party defection (one way or the other) didn't happen as a result of their service. But, most were of the same political leanings coming out as they were going in. (I will admit to a reasonably small sample size in my experience of conversation with them, a few dozen. But, that is a take from somebody who was around the military and Vets during that late 1960's- mid-1980's era.)

Thanks for your input!

flashmeow 01-03-2013 06:02 AM

Republican all the way. Democrats are very anti-military. Look at the Clinton years when he deactivated a bunch of army divisions, closes military bases (brac), got rid of the air force SAC and TAC, etc

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App

NOVAbimmer 01-03-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashmeow (Post 15027003)
Republican all the way. Democrats are very anti-military. Look at the Clinton years when he deactivated a bunch of army divisions, closes military bases (brac), got rid of the air force SAC and TAC, etc

You know that there have been five rounds of BRAC now, and all but one has been started under a republican president, right?

MDydinanM 01-03-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashmeow (Post 15027003)

Thread title says current or former military. You are neither. Not that I mind you posting in this thread, but like other non-military posters have done, they have caveated their comments. You have not. Lastly, as NOVABimmer pointed out, you made another silly comment.

flashmeow 01-03-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 15027010)
You know that there have been five rounds of BRAC now, and all but one has been started under a republican president, right?

Hmm....who was the chairman of the armed forces committee during those rounds of brac?

flashmeow 01-03-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 15027023)
Thread title says current or former military. You are neither. Not that I mind you posting in this thread, but like other non-military posters have done, they have caveated their comments. You have not. Lastly, as NOVABimmer pointed out, you made another silly comment.

Silly comment? Get off my back dude. So out of all my points u.decided to single out and sharpshoot one single point and then lable my statement as silly?

Hmm....reduction of army divisions? True

SAC and TAC getting deactivated. True

MDydinanM 01-03-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashmeow (Post 15027041)
Silly comment? Get off my back dude. So out of all my points u.decided to single out and sharpshoot one single point and then lable my statement as silly?

Hmm....reduction of army divisions? True

SAC and TAC getting deactivated. True

why you posting here again? you have some military envy complex? Or do you just like trolling and stirring the pot?