E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Lights on while car is off (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963586)

bmwjatt 01-02-2013 07:13 PM

Lights on while car is off

2 Attachment(s)
This morning my keyless entry was not working (tried extra key still nothing), when I got closer I found out there are few light on the dashboard while the car is turned off. Battery, oil, DSC, cruise control, and automatic transmission/sequential manual gearbox and as well as the brake light on the back of my car are on.
The car drives fine and all the lights go away once I start the car. but come back when I turn it off..

So far, I have got the battery checked, its fine and pulled codes only code thats new is P0442 Emmission control system leak, that is my bad fuel cap most likely.
P0171 and P0174 been there for my low fuel pump fail..

Stinger9 01-02-2013 07:16 PM

Never trust the average battery test.
How old is your battery?

bmwjatt 01-02-2013 07:17 PM

About two years old.

bmwjatt 01-02-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 15025919)
Never trust the average battery test.
How old is your battery?

I drove around for a while, if the battery was bad the battery light would go on...

zhenkaaaM3 01-02-2013 07:23 PM

I just noticed your temperature needle is on the red. Is that just not working?

bmwjatt 01-02-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46tknv (Post 15025938)
I just noticed your temperature needle is on the red. Is that just not working?

The car is not on. this while the car is turned off. Key is not in the egnition and I am getting all this.

Stinger9 01-02-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwjatt (Post 15025930)
I drove around for a while, if the battery was bad the battery light would go on...

Incorrect. The idiot light does not detect a weak or erratic battery.

bmwjatt 01-02-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 15025955)
Incorrect. The idiot light does not detect a weak or erratic battery.

I see, I did get it check by Pepboys, they did load test and everything.

Stinger9 01-02-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwjatt (Post 15025948)
The car is not on. this while the car is turned off. Key is not in the egnition and I am getting all this.

Yeah, then the temperature gauge is whacked too.
Should never rest in this position.

This could be an expensive problem to troubleshoot. Now I'm starting to think you may have a problem with the gauge cluster.
I'd still like to see a different battery subbed in there for comparison. Too bad you don't have a friend.

Stinger9 01-02-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwjatt (Post 15025960)
I see, I did get it check by Pepboys, they did load test and everything.

I understand, just I've read about so many getting a load test and eventually it was the battery after it tested OK.

bmwjatt 01-02-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 15025963)
Yeah, then the temperature gauge is whacked too.
Should never rest in this position.

This could be an expensive problem to troubleshoot. Now I'm starting to think you may have a problem with the gauge cluster.
I'd still like to see a different battery subbed in there for comparison. Too bad you don't have a friend.

That is what I think as well, but not sure so just bouncing ideas to make sure. I also heard about the short in the tail lights that causes cluster issues.

Stinger9 01-02-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwjatt (Post 15025973)
I also heard about the short in the tail lights that causes cluster issues.

Completely logically then to repair the short in the tail lights to see if it's a fix.
As that is by far the easiest thing to repair first as long as we're guessing.

bmwjatt 01-03-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 15026020)
Completely logically then to repair the short in the tail lights to see if it's a fix.
As that is by far the easiest thing to repair first as long as we're guessing.

So I dissconnected the positive cable all nite. this morning same thing, so I figured its the battery or the problem would have gone away during nite. went to walmart popped a new battery in the parking lot. Same things even ran the car for few minutes with new battery.

When I got home I started pulling the fuses to see if it will go away. when I pulled the number 43 fuse for the cluster panel the lights went away along with the brake lights. Fuse 43 and 34 have black stuff in them but does not look blown.

please advice?

zhenkaaaM3 01-03-2013 12:53 PM

Fuse is not blown unless the line is broken inside the fuse. Its very noticeable.

bmwjatt 01-03-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46tknv (Post 15027804)
Fuse is not blown unless the line is broken inside the fuse. Its very noticeable.

I just uploaded the pics of fuses, yes I am aware of that.

taibinhvuong 01-03-2013 01:17 PM

Fuse #43(5A) is on-board diagnose II, if the fuse has black stuff or burnt mark on it, it means the circuit has excessive current or the fuse just deteriorates to the point that limited the current to the on board diagnose II, thus caused the malfunction that you have, just replace the fuse and eliminate the cause is the easiest thing to do.

Stinger9 01-03-2013 04:00 PM

wish it were so easy

Quote:

Originally Posted by taibinhvuong (Post 15027895)
Fuse #43(5A) is on-board diagnose II, if the fuse has black stuff or burnt mark on it, it means the circuit has excessive current or the fuse just deteriorates to the point that limited the current to the on board diagnose II, thus caused the malfunction that you have, just replace the fuse and eliminate the cause is the easiest thing to do.

I don't think so. That he gets a difference with the fuse pulled indicates that the fuse is not blown.
And replacing a blown fuse, if that were the case, will 95% solve nothing. Fuse is symptomatic of a problem, not the problem typically.
Have to find out what blew or fatigued the fuse for the cure. Sounds like OP has a problem with one of the devices that the fuse feeds.

dknightd 01-03-2013 05:02 PM

epidemic? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963747

bmwjatt 01-03-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taibinhvuong (Post 15027895)

I just popped new fuses and started the car, the problem went away. but still do you think this could be the end of it....

For now I am happy...

bmwjatt 01-03-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 15028572)
I don't think so. That he gets a difference with the fuse pulled indicates that the fuse is not blown.
And replacing a blown fuse, if that were the case, will 95% solve nothing. Fuse is symptomatic of a problem, not the problem typically.
Have to find out what blew or fatigued the fuse for the cure. Sounds like OP has a problem with one of the devices that the fuse feeds.

what is OP?