E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Flat spot on tires (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963760)

jxs0402 01-03-2013 04:29 PM

Flat spot on tires
 
Does anyone know how long a car can sit parked in the same spot before you will develope a flat spot and ruin the tires?

Thanks

Jesse M 01-03-2013 04:33 PM

If you're that concerned, just put the car on jack stands.

mscaptura 01-03-2013 04:36 PM

I put two cars in storage for 6 or more months out of the year and they've always been fine

trj 01-03-2013 04:37 PM

Parked indoors? outdoors? weather? humidity? condition of the tires? Brand? Material?

Dead body in the trunk, back seat, front seat?

Depends on a lot of conditions.

WDE46 01-03-2013 04:47 PM

I recommend putting dead bodies in the front seat. It will more evenly distribute the load.

rcsummers 01-03-2013 05:01 PM

just put it on jackstands under a cover. youll be good. GOOOOOD.

jfoj 01-03-2013 05:09 PM

Depends on the tire and also the temps.

Other than flat spots, on some tires the sidewall/belts become rigid if they sit with the weight on the tires as well.

Also if you have a car sit and a tire goes flat, this really plays havoc on the sidewalls and belts.

This is why is best to get the weight off the tires.

jxs0402 01-04-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscaptura (Post 15028713)
I put two cars in storage for 6 or more months out of the year and they've always been fine

That is all I was looking for - thanks!

Rotha 01-04-2013 07:33 AM

LOL asks concerning question, accepts laziest way out.^

jxs0402 01-04-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotha (Post 15030462)
LOL asks concerning question, accepts laziest way out.^


Laziest? I wouldn't say that but you are certainly welcome to. I think it was the most helpful! I try to weed through all the sarcastic, what is the scientific composition type questions and just look for an honest answer. But thanks for all of your helpful input!

I was really just looking to see if I could leave the car parked in the garage for the next 3 months w/o worrying - that is all. Appreciate the responses as always.

Gary@Tirerack 01-04-2013 09:50 AM

Moral of the story : It is best to ask what you were really looking to find out on the first post. :)

I've had one or more vehicles sitting for 3-4 months during the winter for over a decade now and have had some that needed a few dozen miles to smooth out and some that were fine right out of the gate. No insult to the folks that put their vehicles up on jack stands of course...its just not worth the effort for me vs driving the (possible) vibe for an hour.

jxs0402 01-04-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack (Post 15030679)
Moral of the story : It is best to ask what you were really looking to find out on the first post. :)

I've had one or more vehicles sitting for 3-4 months during the winter for over a decade now and have had some that needed a few dozen miles to smooth out and some that were fine right out of the gate. No insult to the folks that put their vehicles up on jack stands of course...its just not worth the effort for me vs driving the (possible) vibe for an hour.

Thanks Gary - Thanks for the tip - I agree w/you. Appreciate the response as well. A guy from TireRack - does it get any better than that?! :).

I've never owned an "extra" vehicle that I could let sit like this so I never delt w/the "flatspot" issue before. I was under the impression that once it was there it would not go away. Your post cleared this up - thanks.

VMRWheels 01-04-2013 01:19 PM

As others have said under the proper conditions they should be fine, but if you're very concerned jack stands are always an option.

WDE46 01-04-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jxs0402 (Post 15030690)
Thanks Gary - Thanks for the tip - I agree w/you. Appreciate the response as well. A guy from TireRack - does it get any better than that?! :).

I've never owned an "extra" vehicle that I could let sit like this so I never delt w/the "flatspot" issue before. I was under the impression that once it was there it would not go away. Your post cleared this up - thanks.

When it is a warm night and then a cold front that makes for a cold morning, my tires get a flat spot in 10 hours. It goes away in less than 1 mile on the highway.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use