E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Race Suspension? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964045)

redneckrice94 01-05-2013 10:46 AM

Race Suspension?

I am planning on upgrading my suspension but am not sure whether to choose coilovers or shocks/springs. I will be tracking this car about 3-5 times every summer.

Currently my plan is koni yellow shocks with h&r race springs.

What do the expirienced guys think?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

LeviMatt 01-05-2013 11:05 AM

I say get coilovers with adjustable dampening that way you can change how stiff or soft the ride will be according to the track :thumbsup:

redneckrice94 01-05-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeviMatt (Post 15033957)
I say get coilovers with adjustable dampening that way you can change how stiff or soft the ride will be according to the track :thumbsup:

Koni Yellows are a shock with adjustable dampening capabilities.

LeviMatt 01-05-2013 11:18 AM

Ohh my bad haha I just got my colors mixed up. They should be great if you not worried about ride height adjustability.

redneckrice94 01-05-2013 11:20 AM

I just dont understand if height adjustability is really necessary. I thought height adjustability was more for looks?

LeviMatt 01-05-2013 11:40 AM

Its mostly used for looks on our car but you have to keep in mind that the lower your center of gravity is, the better your car will handle.

redneckrice94 01-05-2013 11:46 AM

I do understand that, and the race springs do lower quite a bit while also giving a better spring rate. I just am not sure what most guys use on the track.

Weapon ///M 01-05-2013 11:59 AM

I improved 4 seconds on my lap time changing from Koni Yellow/H&R Race to this system: http://gf-performance.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1631

Custom spring rates and valving are free. It comes with shortened sway bar linkage, full ride height adjust ability, rear shock mounts, CAMBER PLATES, linear springs and 30 levels of dampening adjustment.

Shoot ryan@gf-performance.com an email and ask if they are still offering discount codes on the system, he helped me out a lot when ordering mine.

BMWespresso 01-05-2013 02:20 PM

with coilovers you'll be able to do corner balancing, that would be the only need for hight adjustment
with coilovers the front springs would be linear, better feel and handling.

Kris@TSS 01-10-2013 11:43 AM

Coilovers will net the best results on the track. Ideally the KW Club Sport kit would be the kit. Here is a some quick highlights of the Club Sport

*Height adjustable coilovers
*Performance setup for the racetrack
*Dampers in compression & rebound forces independently adjustable
*Use of high performance linear race springs
*In stainless steel technology inox-line
*Additional available with racing top mounts

The kit will set you back a decent chunk of change but it is the kit for a lot of track use. I have a couple friends who track their cars with KW V3s with great results. The kit is a bit cheaper than the Club Sports. Couple highlights on KW V3s

*Damping technology with individually adjustable rebound- and compression technology inox-line* stainless steel technology
*Individually height adjustable
*Adjustment parameters approved by the German Technical Control Board (TÜV)
*High-quality components for long durability
*Infinitely variable rebound damping adjustment
*14-way adjustable compression damping
*Unique, individually working damping force adjustment
*Comprehensive documentation for easy use

Let me know if I can answer any questions or provide you a price.

BigDRick323 01-27-2013 09:10 PM

IInterested in more info as well on this...

JaaPee 01-27-2013 09:54 PM

Take a look at trm coilovers.

peytonracer4 01-27-2013 10:06 PM

I vote mid, to high end coil overs. I have the same setup you're considering and it's a great setup for a daily driver that may see some track. I also have a car with coilovers they are fairly aggressive. I do not recommend aggressive coilovers for daily use because they're seriously harsh. But they handle so good it's not even funny. Loads better than my h&r and konis.
It really depends on what you're gonna use it for.
The best handling will be coilovers but they will not be happy on the street. At least not racing coil overs.