E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   First improvements to M3??????? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964155)

ChiefM3 01-06-2013 02:34 AM

First improvements to M3???????

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. I recently bought an E46 M3 SMG after selling my E36. I am wanting your guys imput on the first improvements/ Modifications that i should make to my new baby.I have a little bit of bread to spend but im not looking to buy everything under the sun. What was or would be the first thing you did to your M3? Thanks for the advice.

djantlive 01-06-2013 03:32 AM

i would spend the money fixing any issues first. as for mod, i replaced the smg paddles with some alum ones that are bigger. i also stripped the peeling paint on the center console with paint thinner and goo off.

check your tires too. mine were worn due to negative camber in the back

dinan19 01-06-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 15035432)
i would spend the money fixing any issues first. as for mod, i replaced the smg paddles with some alum ones that are bigger. i also stripped the peeling paint on the center console with paint thinner and goo off.

But negative camber is good. Haha

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

Bmw0224 01-06-2013 04:35 AM

After maintenance, first modification I would do to my m3 would be maybe an exhaust intake or suspension maybe wheels

LSM3 01-06-2013 05:02 AM

Angel eyes + matte black grills or carbon grills + Eiback Pro spring kit.

KaliVertBoy 01-06-2013 07:14 AM

I say just cruise around stock for a while. Decide what you really want, and wait for it to pop up in the forums for cheap.

dmax 01-06-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefM3 (Post 15035397)
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. I recently bought an E46 M3 SMG after selling my E36. I am wanting your guys imput on the first improvements/ Modifications that i should make to my new baby.I have a little bit of bread to spend but im not looking to buy everything under the sun. What was or would be the first thing you did to your M3? Thanks for the advice.

Mileage on car?

+1 on doing the maintenance and if you have cash, then invest it in preventive maintenance...get a new cooling system, or at least wp, therm, and ET. Get new control arm bushings, guibo, csb. Change all fluids...all of them. Pulleys, belts, filters, maybe plugs and coil boots.

If this car is new to you but used, you have to assume little was done, despite what the PO might have said (at least in most cases you need to assume this).

m3e46freak 01-06-2013 10:12 AM

I would suggest exhaust.

rjskalet 01-06-2013 10:39 AM

Depending on mileage and where you live check and make sure the rear springs aren't broken. I just found out over Christmas that this is a problem among m3s from the north.

Snik 01-06-2013 10:57 AM

While M3 water pumps last longer. They still fail, seems most go over 100k miles before the bearings go out.
Here's the kicker. The E46 M3 water pump retails over $350. So. I would make sure u have one replaced if its still the original one. That and the expansion tank and thermostat and the fan clutch.

Smg, I sure hope it doesn't fail on you. But there was talk way back on one of these forums on a theory that E46 SMGs may be failing because they overheat? E60 SMGs or euro E36s don't fail half as often. One theory was maybe making some kind of air duct to the pump to keep it cool. Just. Though. :dunno: but def upgrade the paddles. They look proper with bigger paddles.

Check your diff. Mine has a bad seal and leaks. Works fine still, but check.
Also don't be afraid to replace all them bushings. And M3 center bearings and thinks don't last as long. Neither do the clutches. Compared to non Ms and previous gen M3s.

Alan 01-06-2013 02:43 PM

Make sure maintenance is completely up to date before anything else.

1. Tires
2. Brakes
3. Suspension (if you need it)

d'ray18 01-06-2013 03:29 PM

I would get your stance right with wheels and susp/lower the car first :thumbup:

dinan19 01-06-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d'ray18 (Post 15036188)
I would get your stance right with wheels and susp/lower the car first :thumbup:

^ This. :woot:

Westrace 01-06-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 15035432)

Second that. I would make sure all the major maintenance are up to to date -- water pump, cooling, transmission/diff fluid, steering fluid, fuel filter, spark plugs, RTAB ...

Then get a Mason rear strut tower bar to stiffen up the rear so you can add better either coilovers or lower springs as the stock chassis may flex under hard corner loads. I plan get get the Mason myself because my after market springs probably pushes the stock chassis more than I would like.

After that it's all up to you.

ImMolton 01-06-2013 05:36 PM

Do the maintenance first. Don't worry about the other things for a bit until you know your M3 is in top notch shape.

Snik 01-06-2013 06:17 PM

Oh yeah. And if you want something to worry about besides smg and rear floor failure. Go read up on M3 forums about the vanos failure. :(

I will be selling a set if DPE wheels here soon tho. At a good price too.
Yes. That was a shameless plug.

Active 2 01-06-2013 07:45 PM

Maintenance first. Make sure to check RTABs and subframe.

After all my maintenance was taken care of, I went ahead and put on AA exh, headers and a tune

Broach><330 01-06-2013 07:48 PM

Maintenance first for sure! Coilovers, exhaust.

nofar 01-06-2013 10:37 PM

Do all the maintenance first. Then drive it stock for at least 6 months before you do anything/modifications. Honestly, these cars are really really great stock from the factory. You should really learn to drive this car well and see all it's nuances before modifying it immediately. Honestly, the more and more I have my M3, the less and less I want to modify it; I just want to enjoy it as much as possible as it is because the BMW engineers did a great job with it.

ChiefM3 01-07-2013 04:17 AM

When i purchased the car, I had a full maintenance done at Mercedes Benz.(I know but have a connection and purchased the car there). The car was a weekend driver from an older gentleman and has 27k MI. Their is zero maintenance issues and all fluids were replaced. Tires are good. Its amazing how well this guy maintained his car. As a bimmer enthusiast, I can respect the love someone has for their car but it seems like this car was never driven out of the driveway. I have some time before i will be able to drive it due to me waiting for the vehicle to ship from my home to my military duty station. I plan on driving stock for a short period of time but wanted to see everybody's input when i do decide to do certain modifications. Thank you everybody for the input, I am getting alot of good advice.