E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New starter needed? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964336)

xsxpxhx 01-07-2013 01:13 PM

New starter needed?

Ok just to explain, Yesterday I tried to turn the car on and when I turn it had like a "dying click noise" as it would not start. After a couple of tries it finally started. Then I turned it off, waited for 15mins and same issue happen again. I thought it would be the BATT since the marker showed that it was black which meant it no longer had a suffient charge. So I replaced the BATT and still continued to have the same problem. I want to try to DIY first before taking it in. But since there is no codes being read, would I start off by replacing the starter? Or should I just take it to my local Indi shop? Thanks guys! Happy Motoring!

xsxpxhx 01-07-2013 02:18 PM

anyone?

rollielvp 01-08-2013 10:32 AM

I had a similar issue. I would turn the key & it would crank very slowly; sometimes it would not crank right away at all. This was going on for almost a year till one day I turned the key & nothing happened. The battery was fine. Towed the car home. Removed intake plenum and applied 12v directly to the starter - nothing. Removed starter - it was jammed. Took starter apart & discovered that one of the brush wires melted in half.

The cause of the jammed starter was a broken graphite bearing; applying power to it when jammed caused the brush wire to melt. Bought a used starter/solenoid combo for $150 on eBay & put it in. The car had no issues going forward. A local independent shop wanted $800 for the job. I never bothered to check the dealer pricing.

GarlicBread911 01-08-2013 02:01 PM

It definitely could be your starter. I had this problem and replacing the starter solved it. Other potential culprits could be: clutch sensor (above clutch pedal), ignition switch, and some other if your search in depth. I'd suggest searching a guide on testing your clutch switch, as that would be a cheap and quick place to start. Also got to an autoparts store and borrow their OBD2 reader to pull any codes you may have (you can have codes with no dash lights on). Post them here ITT and search them, too. If money's not a huge issue, just replace the starter.

xsxpxhx 01-08-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks Guys, it actually was the starter, I bought the starter and just replaced it myself. Works great now. I actually dont have the lagging start which sounds great. thank you for replying.

rollielvp 01-08-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsxpxhx (Post 15041769)
Thanks Guys, it actually was the starter, I bought the starter and just replaced it myself. Works great now. I actually dont have the lagging start which sounds great. thank you for replying.

You are welcome! Glad you got it fixed. Weird how yours is an '02 as well (mine was the same year). I know a few other people who had the same starter problem. Makes me wonder if there was an issue affecting all '02 models, such as a bad batch of starters.