E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best tires for 323i? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964423)

ryannel2003 01-07-2013 08:14 PM

Best tires for 323i?

I have a quick question here for the tire guys. Looking to replace my worn, loud, unevenly wearing Continental ContiPro Contact tires here in about a month. I've been looking online at different brands and the array of different configurations is dizzying. Basically what I'm looking for is a tire that blends comfort, decent handling, wet weather stability, grip and value all into one. Car is riding on stock Style 45 205/55/16 wheels and it looks like it's going to stay that way for awhile. I found a few options that I like including:

-Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS
-Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid
-Yokohama AVID Envigor
-Sumitomo HTR P/S P01

As you can see, there are lots of choices out there. All of the reviews for these tires were great, and most BMW drivers really seem to love the DWS for good reasons. However, I had Michelin's on my Cadillac and they were a great tire that held pressure well, rode great and had good tread life but started to get a little loud at about half tread. Wasn't impressed. The Sumitomo's are the cheap choice but actually look to be a good tire. Don't know much about the Bridgestone but they seem to be good, and the Yokohama's are a great choice as well. A lot of guys seem to be running Hankook V12's but I haven't really looked into those. Looking to stay around the $600 mark as well for all 4 tires. The Michelin's mounted and balanced are $624 and that seems like a great deal.

Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks.

VMRWheels 01-08-2013 01:05 PM

I see you threw the Hankook Ventus V12 in the mix, which is a summer performance tire. I've owned a fair amount of tires, including the Hankooks, and I loved them. I don't think they're really what you're looking for though.

If you want an all-season tire, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS is a great choice, especially for the price. My sister has them on her Civic and they ride very smooth, are quiet, and have pretty solid grip in most day to day driving situations. The only thing you may notice is that the sidewall is quiet soft on that tire. So if you are used to a more firm ride, the Continentals are a bit more forgiving.

Riverbmr3 01-08-2013 01:40 PM

been running yoko s drive for three yrs, so far so good for the money

ryannel2003 01-08-2013 02:33 PM

Summer tires could be an option for me as long as the price is right. I live in an area that doesn't get that much snow (Maybe 1/2" a year and I don't drive in it) and the average temperature during the winter is right around 40-45 degrees. The sidewalls on my current Continental's are a little soft and to be honest the car understeers a little bit too much at the limit which is something I'd like to correct. At the same time I do a ton of highway driving (100 miles back and forth 3 days a week) so I'd like something that can give me a smooth ride as well. The amount of choices are dizzying, but I did get an email from a local vendor this morning saying he couldn't find any of the ExtremeContact's at the warehouses. I have some time to kill before buying the tires so I don't think that should be an issue until the end of the month.

Grande D 01-08-2013 04:32 PM

I'd go with the Sumitomo actually.

ryannel2003 01-08-2013 08:17 PM

Well I think I have decided on a tire. My local Sears has the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's available for $500 installed, which seems like a great deal to me. They have been highly rated on this forum and for many BMW owners and I think will fit my driving style perfectly. Now all I have to do is get an alignment from BMW (or a good indy shop; haven't decided yet) and they will be ready for installation. Very excited.

VMRWheels 01-09-2013 11:37 AM

Definitely a good tire overall, I think you'll like it. Just watch out for when it starts getting cold!