E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Does my headlight pattern look weird? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964476)

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 01:25 AM

Does my headlight pattern look weird?

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like I have a "hole" in my projector H7 headlight pattern.

Mango 01-08-2013 01:27 AM

That's not the only thing wrong with your pattern. Atrocious to say the least. Aftermarket, correct?

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15040526)
That's not the only thing wrong with your pattern. Atrocious to say the least. Aftermarket, correct?

No I don't believe so. I think they're the original lights that came with the car. I did change bulbs when I bought the car but I'm not sure the bulbs are causing that. Guess I could always swap the bulbs and find out.

Mango 01-08-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacksawmark (Post 15040537)
No I don't believe so. I think they're the original lights that came with the car. I did change bulbs when I bought the car but I'm not sure the bulbs are causing that. Guess I could always swap the bulbs and find out.

That doesn't look like factory projection. theres hotspots and flare galore. did you put an hid kit in there or something?

330i ZHP 01-08-2013 01:50 AM

that is really bad - as said, the entire light pattern is screwed up

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15040568)
That doesn't look like factory projection. theres hotspots and flare galore. did you put an hid kit in there or something?

No HID kit. The headlights are not HIDs, they're H7 bulbs in non-xenon projectors.

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 02:11 AM

I definitely want to upgrade my headlights to something better because the ones I have now are crap. I'm real leery about aftermarket lights though. I may just breakdown and get OEM replacements.

WDE46 01-08-2013 06:44 AM

I would try taking them apart and inspecting it. If you are going to get new ones then you might as well try it. You'll have to put them in the oven to release the seal for the clear lense though.

Have you tried moving the lights through their various ranges of adjustments? I mean full left, full right, all the way up and down. Does that blank spot stay in the same place?

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 15040838)
I would try taking them apart and inspecting it. If you are going to get new ones then you might as well try it. You'll have to put them in the oven to release the seal for the clear lense though.

Have you tried moving the lights through their various ranges of adjustments? I mean full left, full right, all the way up and down. Does that blank spot stay in the same place?

I have made some adjustments; the left side was was too low to begin with. I can only adjust them up and down, no side to side adjustment. When I adjusted them, the blank spot moved with the adjustment. I'm not going to go the oven route to unseal the lenses; I have trouble burning cookies when I bake.

jfoj 01-08-2013 08:01 AM

There should be both vertical and horizontal adjustment for each light assembly. You should have 2 adjuster screws for each side of the car.

You should also back at least 20-25 feet back away from the wall/door and take another picture of your pattern as it is sometimes hard to see the pattern up so close.

Even non HID projectors have the sheet metal shields in the bottom of the projector to control the upper level cut off to with the stair steps. At least quality projectors have this feature.

Make sure that your headlight assemblies have not been swapped out with some less than quality aftermarket assemblies. Look for the letters Depo somewhere in the plastic lens, this would indicate they are not original headlights.

I see you have a 2006 coupe, I know HID was as option as my 2006 Vert has Active Bi-Xenon that actually turn with the steering, not sure what the standard headlights were for 2006 coupes?

choxor 01-08-2013 08:02 AM

Holy crap. Do you have pics of your headlights? We can probably tell if they're OEM or not.

WDE46 01-08-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 15040938)
There should be both vertical and horizontal adjustment for each light assembly. You should have 2 adjuster screws for each side of the car.

You should also back at least 20-25 feet back away from the wall/door and take another picture of your pattern as it is sometimes hard to see the pattern up so close.

Even non HID projectors have the sheet metal shields in the bottom of the projector to control the upper level cut off to with the stair steps. At least quality projectors have this feature.

Make sure that your headlight assemblies have not been swapped out with some less than quality aftermarket assemblies. Look for the letters Depo somewhere in the plastic lens, this would indicate they are not original headlights.

I see you have a 2006 coupe, I know HID was as option as my 2006 Vert has Active Bi-Xenon that actually turn with the steering, not sure what the standard headlights were for 2006 coupes?

The standard lights are H7 size bulb halogen projectors with halogen dish highbeams.

You are correct that there is a left/right and up/down adjustment. The left/right adjustment is nearer to the front quarter panel of the car than the up/down adjuster.

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 15040938)

I will take new photos and post. Will also examine the lenses again to see if they are depos. Not sure why the previous owner would have switched out oem projectors for Depo projectors...

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 15040941)
Holy crap. Do you have pics of your headlights? We can probably tell if they're OEM or not.

I will also take photos of the headlights and post.

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 15040944)
The standard lights are H7 size bulb halogen projectors with halogen dish highbeams.

You are correct that there is a left/right and up/down adjustment. The left/right adjustment is nearer to the front quarter panel of the car than the up/down adjuster.

Any idea where I can get a photo or illustration of that adjustment?

WDE46 01-08-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacksawmark (Post 15040956)
Any idea where I can get a photo or illustration of that adjustment?

I can make one. Thank god ECS Tuning has the best part photos in the business.

http://i.imgur.com/IoGjp.jpg?1

For the left/right one you can turn the grey screw on top or that black one on the back. While it's on the car you can only turn the grey one.

jfoj 01-08-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacksawmark (Post 15040953)
Not sure why the previous owner would have switched out oem projectors for Depo projectors...

Accident?? fogged/yellowed lens??

BimmersGarage 01-08-2013 09:45 AM

Is there any damage/scuffs on the reflectors? Post pics of actual headlights..

trizzuth 01-08-2013 09:49 AM

Looks to me like a half burned out bulb issue making that weird shadowy circle area.

I have DEPO projectors and there is the metal thing on the back of the glass projector sphere that has the stair steps that flips itself upside down when light is passed through the sphere.

HacksawMark 01-08-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 15040972)
I can make one. Thank god ECS Tuning has the best part photos in the business.

http://i.imgur.com/IoGjp.jpg?1

For the left/right one you can turn the grey screw on top or that black one on the back. While it's on the car you can only turn the grey one.

My headlights don't have the adjustment knobs. I will post photos when I get a chance.

Solidjake 01-08-2013 10:49 AM

Can you post pics of the actual headlight please