E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Money Matters (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   2 Brief Questions........ (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964495)

Raymond42262 01-08-2013 09:41 AM

2 Brief Questions........

1. On Cramer's show Mad Money......... he has a scored board in the back.
It says 1-7 which is always the current date.
But underneath in the scored column it says 42 -40.
I have never been able to figure out what the score column means.
I emailed them once but they sent me a standard reply that says they can't answer all questions........I thought it was pretty basic. But no answer.

2. Whenever you look at the volume on the NYSE it might say 1.5 BN shares traded today. If you look at the major volume movers like Exxon , MSFT, Ford etc......it might say 10M shares traded today.

It got me to wonder........there are like 2800 shares listed on the NYSE.
On the average day, how many companies constitute the majority of trades on the NYSE? It seems that if you took the top 25 companies listed, that they would probably constitute half of all the shares traded on an average day. It was just a random thought I had but I have never seen it before. It seems like you could make more money focusing on the top 25 or so stocks traded than the smaller ones.

Wraisil 01-09-2013 06:20 PM

The second "score" is generally the score of a recent football game (either pro or college), are you sure it didn't say 42-14?

Shares traded is a very important factor in trading stocks (less so for investing) and high volume is a requirement for many traders and HFT programs in order to bother with a particular stock.

Raymond42262 01-10-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraisil (Post 15046040)
The second "score" is generally the score of a recent football game (either pro or college), are you sure it didn't say 42-14?

Cramer actually tried out for the NFL after college but he was cut. I don't remember which team. I bet the scores follow the Lakers, Yankees or some other NY team. Thanks, I never thought about that.

Shares traded is a very important factor in trading stocks (less so for investing) and high volume is a requirement for many traders and HFT programs in order to bother with a particular stock.

Yeah, I understand that volume is important. 90 percent of all trading done in the NYSE is institutional.

I just wonder what the ratio of the DJI 30 stocks is to the total volume traded on the NYSE. I wonder if the ratio changes dramatically on a particular day if they would indicate a major trend change......an upcoming drop or major rise in the markets.

Thanks.

Trivia for thought............ As long as I mentioned Cramer...Pete Najarian , founder of Options Monster and a daily guest on CNBC; played for Tampa Bay.