E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Filling out my Nj Application for Firearms Purchaser... questions. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964569)

joeski3d 01-08-2013 03:35 PM

Filling out my Nj Application for Firearms Purchaser... questions.

Filling out the form and have to pause at item 20.

Quote:

Have you ever been convicted of a crime in New Jersey or a criminal offense in another jurisdiction where you could have been sentenced to more than six months in jail that has not been expunged or sealed? If yes, list date(s), place(s) and crime(s).
sooooo confession time...

When I was 18 I was caught with some weed (minimal amount... less than 1/8 oz). Had to go piss in a cup every 2 weeks for 6 months.

In my early 20s I was busted driving with a suspended license...

... 3 times. :eeps:

I actually had to do some jail time for this. :rofl: They let me do weekends.

Does anyone know if this will need to be itemized for that question?

If I just check 'no' and they reject my application for not listing those things (because the details are long forgotten)... can I reapply?

customisbetter 01-08-2013 03:37 PM

Well you didn't spend 6 months and you weren't convicted of a violent act or a victim based crime. I wouldn't worry about it.

5ynd1cat3 01-08-2013 03:39 PM

Say whaaaaaat? The liberal joe from new jersey is applying for a gun permit? Hell hath frozen over!

Idk the answer to your question. If I were to guess, I would think you need to disclose that since it all happened while you were an adult. I'm not to familiar with new jersey law, other than it's a pain in the arse to but a gun there. I'm sure someone else will chime in with good info though.

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

Nt_loader 01-08-2013 03:40 PM

NJ? Good Luck with that. If its was me I wouldnt even bother to apply, its a waste of time.

http://www.wikihow.com/Acquire-a-Gun...-in-New-Jersey

Quote:

Provide an employment letter of need and a private investigator (PI) license.
  • New Jersey typically only issues permits to carry handguns to those who use them in their line of employment, such as private investigators and law enforcement personnel.
  • If you do not have a PI license, contact your local police department for further instructions.

I know you said "permit to purchase" but whats the point if you cant carry? Home defense, buy a shotgun.

Wreckless 01-08-2013 03:43 PM

Disclose everything if the possible sentence could have been 6 months or more. The question doesn't ask the amount of time you were actually convicted for it asks about the length of time you COULD have been convicted for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

JonJon 01-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by customisbetter (Post 15042055)
Well you didn't spend 6 months and you weren't convicted of a violent act or a victim based crime. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeski3d (Post 15042046)
Have you ever been convicted of a crime in New Jersey or a criminal offense in another jurisdiction where you could have been sentenced to more than six months in jail that has not been expunged or sealed? If yes, list date(s), place(s) and crime(s).

Speaks to maximum sentence possible, not sentence given

5ynd1cat3 01-08-2013 03:51 PM

How difficult is it to obtain a PI license? In theory, could he get one and just not become a PI? Then he could carry legally.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

joeski3d 01-08-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 (Post 15042060)
Say whaaaaaat? The liberal joe from new jersey is applying for a gun permit? Hell hath frozen over!

:spit: I'm only liberal compared to you. :rofl: I love guns! My father (a Marine officer when I was a kid) used to take me out dove hunting. He gave me a .22 when I was 5 and taught me to respect it. I was even on the ROTC rifle team. Earned sharp shooter.

Quote:

Idk the answer to your question. If I were to guess, I would think you need to disclose that since it all happened while you were an adult. I'm not to familiar with new jersey law, other than it's a pain in the arse to but a gun there. I'm sure someone else will chime in with good info though.

Yea. I'm thinking that's the way to go. I just no longer have the details they are asking for. I'll have to go get a background criminal check on myself.

Quote:

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm mostly just interested in a shotgun for home security. And, I'm pretty sure I need the permet to buy a BB gun that I want to just put holes in paper targets in my back yard.

tailo 01-08-2013 10:32 PM

Just hit a fun show out of state.

I'd not deal with those nazi bs laws.

JonJon 01-08-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 15043445)
Just hit a fun show out of state.

I'd not deal with those nazi bs laws.

what you are recommending is illegal and felonious

INTERstate purchases of firearms and long guns require that an FFL MUST be used. This is dictated by Federal law

Firearms: must be sent to and transferred at an FFL in the buyers home state (NJ). FFL also must abide by state law in regards to purchase in buyers home state (NJ Purchaser card)

Long guns: can be transferred at FFL in either state but again needs to abide by state law in buyers home state.

tailo 01-08-2013 11:00 PM

So?

I'm fully aware of the rights that we have been loosing little by little since 34.

I've stuck to the law my whole life but these new regulations are crossing the line. I recommend non violent non revolutionary civil disobedience as a solution to the problem.

JonJon 01-08-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 15043523)
So?

I'm fully aware of the rights that we have been loosing little by little since 34.

I've stuck to the law my whole life but these new regulations are crossing the line. I recommend non violent non revolutionary civil disobedience as a solution to the problem.

I don't disagree with you. In a couple months.... Millions of us might become INSTANT felons with the stroke of the pen. LITERALLY

I'm right there with you, just want Joe to know all the facts so he can make his own decisions.

tailo 01-08-2013 11:14 PM

Yes, it is a felony and in most states nobody would ever check and if they did you did a FTF buy from some unknown in a mcdonalds parking lot.... It's on them to prove you brought it in state so as long as you dont get cought your fine.

NJ is another deal all togeather, I'm not familure with there laws so you should be able to judge if you would get caught easily or not... If it was me... I would ignore them just because thats the mood I'm currently in.

I can say in VA that I have NEVER been asked ONCE by a police officer to see my stamps. I regularly take my machine guns to shows and there with me pretty much every weekend. I have walked past dozens of troopers with a pair of subguns in my hands and they are clueless.

I will say, I wont shread my stamps but I dont feel the need to apply for any more.

joeski3d 01-09-2013 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I think it would be best for myself and my family if I went by the book.

tiloulou330i 01-09-2013 08:04 PM

OP,I recently obtained my P2P from NJ and it wasn't that much of an hassle.If I was you I'd disclose everything.Failure to do so will cause big delay in getting your card issued to you.

rkhettry23 01-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiloulou330i (Post 15046375)
OP,I recently obtained my P2P from NJ and it wasn't that much of an hassle.If I was you I'd disclose everything.Failure to do so will cause big delay in getting your card issued to you.

How long did it take? It just took my friend 11 and a half months.....I imagine it's getting worse now. I just printed out my forms...

viper7180 01-09-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkhettry23 (Post 15046509)
How long did it take? It just took my friend 11 and a half months.....I imagine it's getting worse now. I just printed out my forms...

I got my FID in about 11 "business" days. Make sure your references send in their paperwork and ask them to let you know when it's dropped off. This way you can follow up with the PD. They might try and delay by saying one of your references didn't send paperwork back.

rkhettry23 01-09-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper7180 (Post 15046711)
I got my FID in about 11 "business" days. Make sure your references send in their paperwork and ask them to let you know when it's dropped off. This way you can follow up with the PD. They might try and delay by saying one of your references didn't send paperwork back.

How recently? Good to know thanks.

tiloulou330i 01-09-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkhettry23 (Post 15046509)

it took me 48 days from start to finish.

NFRs2000nyc 01-10-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeski3d (Post 15042046)
Filling out the form and have to pause at item 20.

sooooo confession time...

When I was 18 I was caught with some weed (minimal amount... less than 1/8 oz). Had to go piss in a cup every 2 weeks for 6 months.

In my early 20s I was busted driving with a suspended license...

... 3 times. :eeps:

I actually had to do some jail time for this. :rofl: They let me do weekends.

Does anyone know if this will need to be itemized for that question?

If I just check 'no' and they reject my application for not listing those things (because the details are long forgotten)... can I reapply?

I am not certain if this alone will reject your application, but I can tell you with 200% certainty that if you DO NOT put this down on the application, you will be rejected. You have to do this face to face with the guy in charge of FID cards at the precinct, so if given a chance, explain it.