E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bonds and Clemens Left Out of the Hall of Fame - Agree? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964730)

Born Again 01-09-2013 02:11 PM

Bonds and Clemens Left Out of the Hall of Fame - Agree?

Steroid-tainted stars Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa were denied entry to baseball's Hall of Fame, with voters failing to elect any candidates for only the second time in four decades.

Bonds received just 36.2 percent of the vote, Clemens 37.6 and Sosa 12.5 in totals announced Wednesday by the Hall and the Baseball Writers' Association of America. They were appearing on the ballot for the first time and have up to 14 more years to make it to Cooperstown.

What are your thoughts?

Many of you seem okay with Lance Armstrong and his PED's - why not let these guys make the hall of fame?

CollinsE90 01-09-2013 02:18 PM

I believe that steroids are prevalent in all professional sports. I don't think it's fair for MLB to be so strict, allowing authorities and the government to intervene, when the NFL doesn't give a shit about it.

However, I believe that they'll be kept out for a while, and it'll take one to get in before any others do. Look what they did to Charlie Hustle.

IdahoToyo 01-09-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinsE90 (Post 15045396)
I believe that steroids are prevalent in all professional sports. I don't think it's fair for MLB to be so strict, allowing authorities and the government to intervene, when the NFL doesn't give a shit about it.

However, I believe that they'll be kept out for a while, and it'll take one to get in before any others do. Look what they did to Charlie Hustle.

I thought Tosh's opinion on it was comical

Quote:

I think pro-athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create! Lets go! Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher! I have High-Definition TV! I want my athletes like my video games! Lets go! I could care less if you die at 40. You hate life after sports anyways. I'm doing you a favor
Although that is taking it to an extreme, I've heard this opinion from various individuals involved in sports and tend to agree. Regulation on the aspect seems to be damn near impossible. When new testing is made available doctors and scientists go to new extremes that make for "untraceable" forms of steroids. If the athlete's choose to take performance enhancing substances they do, this way no one is at an "unfair" advantage b/c they are playing by the rules.

At the same time however I am completely understanding of the harm steroids cause on the body and the pressure younger athletes may feel to take them in order to be able to achieve in sports.

DylloS 01-09-2013 02:33 PM

either let the best in this era in or let no one from the era in. We aren't here to pick and choose who used so to me this is the only fair way to do it.

Double Vanos 01-09-2013 02:33 PM

No surprise there i believe this is only the beginning of many players with good numbers not getting in.

BreakMyWallet 01-09-2013 08:01 PM

bonds and clemens will never get in. piazza will end up in, even though hell go in as a met. I'd love to see biggio and bagwell make it next year too.

agree with above opinions, steroids are everywhere, MLB is crazy strict.

Carskibum 01-10-2013 07:43 AM

So those that weren't caught get in? Think both are tools but not sure this is fair.

Act of God 01-10-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klubeck (Post 15045428)

Although that is taking it to an extreme, I've heard this opinion from various individuals involved in sports and tend to agree. Regulation on the aspect seems to be damn near impossible. When new testing is made available doctors and scientists go to new extremes that make for "untraceable" forms of steroids. If the athlete's choose to take performance enhancing substances they do, this way no one is at an "unfair" advantage b/c they are playing by the rules.

At the same time however I am completely understanding of the harm steroids cause on the body and the pressure younger athletes may feel to take them in order to be able to achieve in sports.

I agree with your post, but you are off the mark with the last paragraph. There have been zero deaths ever directly attributed to steroid use. In fact, other than minor side effects, responsible steroid use provides a net health benefit.

If you can't stop it, you have to allow it. Otherwise you are just rewarding the cheaters. As for the HOF, the guys technically got caught cheating so there is a valid reason to hold them out. On the other hand, some say that these guys actually saved baseball.

cowmoo32 01-10-2013 07:58 AM

Am I alone in not caring, at all, about steroid use? These people are getting paid to entertain us; if they want to ruin their body in order to get attention and be remembered, go for it!

Act of God 01-10-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 15047668)
Am I alone in not caring, at all, about steroid use? These people are getting paid to entertain us; if they want to ruin their body in order to get attention and be remembered, go for it!

Do we get mad when chicks get boob jobs? No. Considering that accidental hospital infections kill more people than guns per year I would say that unnecessary cosmetic surgery is far more dangerous than steroid use...which again hasn't killed one person, ever.

Carskibum 01-10-2013 08:04 AM

^ Agreed. Not going to go as far as say that Steroid use is net positive though haha.

Act of God 01-10-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carskibum (Post 15047687)
^ Agreed. Not going to go as far as say that Steroid use is net positive though haha.

Higher levels of testosterone have a positive impact on cardiovascular function. Low levels of testosterone lead to early heart disease, inhibited sexual function and lethargy. All steroids are testosterone or derivatives of the same.

Plus you look good as fvck!

wild willy 01-10-2013 09:01 AM

Yep...I think they should be left out. They cheated....Period, end of story. Imagine if Micky Mantle, Babe Ruth, Joe D, or Ted Williams would have had the Juice what they could have done......All of their routine fly balls would have been Home Runs too......

Most of those guys just drank, smoked and fukked constantly when not on the field....

217Bimmer 01-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 15045445)
either let the best in this era in or let no one from the era in. We aren't here to pick and choose who used so to me this is the only fair way to do it.

agree. the HOF voters have become a complete joke. the baseball HOF is a complete joke. it's just a good ole boys club. this era they just so happened to crack down on steroids, so how do you pick and choose who was actually guilty and who just got caught?

i'm a Tiger's fan and think Jack Morris, Alan Trammel, and Sweet Lou Whitaker should all be in the hall.

cd330 01-10-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klubeck (Post 15045428)

that part of his skit is fvcking hilarious...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet (Post 15046525)
I'd love to see biggio and bagwell make it next year too.

:werd: as an astro's fan, I grew up watching them ..... I got to meet them in the clubhouse one time before a game, still have the picture of me with biggio...

Rhumb 01-10-2013 10:04 AM

If they were proven to have or admitted cheating to attain their lofty status, then no, they should not be let in. Simple as that.

zuckuss00 01-10-2013 01:54 PM

What about Mike Piazza?

Greatest offensive catcher in the history of baseball doesn't make the HOF...

WTF is wrong with these people!

IdahoToyo 01-10-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Act of God (Post 15047647)
I agree with your post, but you are off the mark with the last paragraph. There have been zero deaths ever directly attributed to steroid use. In fact, other than minor side effects, responsible steroid use provides a net health benefit.

See here goes to show my lack of knowledge on the subject. All I've known about the substances is what I've heard through "attack" type adds and the like. I Shouldn't have made a generality as I did. With my statement I never meant to the extent of death, but however just the possible negative side effects to growing bodies.

DylloS 01-10-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 15047668)

Go watch Bigger stronger faster.

Steroids are hardly even an issue when done correctly, which I'm sure top athletes are doing.

217Bimmer 01-10-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 15048942)
Go watch Bigger stronger faster.

Steroids are hardly even an issue when done correctly, which I'm sure top athletes are doing.

why don't you take steroids?