E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Top speed for Stretched tires? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964832)

VTEC_THIS 01-10-2013 12:18 AM

Top speed for Stretched tires?

As much as alot of you may not like it I do have a lowered M3, I recently did a bigger stretch on my rear tires to stop the rubbing issues I was having and am now not sure what a the "safe" freeway speed is. My rear is 18x12 with a 265/35/18 on it just looking for advice and experiences. Thanks :woot: BTW: I do have a tendency to drive over 80 on the freeway.....

jerseyzillest 01-10-2013 12:36 AM

Well the 30 sidewall is kind of what makes it dangerous, you don't have anything to absorb an impact, if you were to ever hit a big enough bump theres a chance you can blow out the bead. Just my .02

eson 01-10-2013 12:47 AM

The top speed should probably be however fast you go from wherever you are now, to your garage. Where your car should sit until you run a decently sized wheel/tire setup.

itscoo2pyopants 01-10-2013 01:09 AM

The speed limit

taylor192 01-10-2013 01:09 AM

There is no safe speed for that amount of stretch. You will pop a bead eventually and hopefully destroy those wheels and decide to run something reasonable. 265 is slightly stretched on a 9.5" rim, never mind a 12".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

w0w 01-10-2013 02:11 AM

got a pic?

VTEC_THIS 01-10-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyzillest (Post 15047225)
Well the 30 sidewall is kind of what makes it dangerous, you don't have anything to absorb an impact, if you were to ever hit a big enough bump theres a chance you can blow out the bead. Just my .02

I made a mistake there 35 series sidewalls but thanks for the imput

VTEC_THIS 01-10-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eson (Post 15047240)
The top speed should probably be however fast you go from wherever you are now, to your garage. Where your car should sit until you run a decently sized wheel/tire setup.

This made me laugh, I got trolled on this thread :facepalm:

VTEC_THIS 01-10-2013 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by w0w (Post 15047367)
got a pic?

heres a pic my buddy took the other evening

cak323i 01-10-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eson (Post 15047240)

True

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTEC_THIS (Post 15047466)
This made me laugh, I got trolled on this thread :facepalm:

You laugh and then :facepalm: the response above but then why are you running a setup that will clearly compromise your ///M? Just for looks? If that's the case then you should lay off speeding....just drive the speed limit because you look so cool on those wheels....:tsk::tsk::tsk:

The ///M is a performance car, not a cruising good looking car and should have said performance setup. If you want to set up your ///M as you have, then more power to you :thumbsup: but don't sit there criticizing other's who do not agree with what you're doing to your ///M. This is the wrong forum for that. Just accept that other's here won't share your views as to how to set up an ///M and leave it at that.

You're running very wide wheels in back, I myself, wouldn't even consider running wheels that wide. Perhaps 18 or 19 x 10's or 10.5's but that's it for me...

Anyway, good luck on your setup and I hope we all don't hear about you wrecking your ///M because your "stretched" tires gave out while you were driving at a high rate of speed.... I did see the pic and your car does look good but I would just cruise in it, not drive too fast...

VTEC_THIS 01-10-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cak323i (Post 15047560)
True

You laugh and then :facepalm: the response above but then why are you running a setup that will clearly compromise your ///M? Just for looks? If that's the case then you should lay off speeding....just drive the speed limit because you look so cool on those wheels....:tsk::tsk::tsk:

The ///M is a performance car, not a cruising good looking car and should have said performance setup. If you want to set up your ///M as you have, then more power to you :thumbsup: but don't sit there criticizing other's who do not agree with what you're doing to your ///M. This is the wrong forum for that. Just accept that other's here won't share your views as to how to set up an ///M and leave it at that.

You're running very wide wheels in back, I myself, wouldn't even consider running wheels that wide. Perhaps 18 or 19 x 10's or 10.5's but that's it for me...

Anyway, good luck on your setup and I hope we all don't hear about you wrecking your ///M because your "stretched" tires gave out while you were driving at a high rate of speed.... I did see the pic and your car does look good but I would just cruise in it, not drive too fast...

I didnt mean to criticize anyone its just funny to me because I completely agree with you guys, I did pretty much make my car the exact opposite of what it was built for but at the same time I love the look of it right now. :thanks:Thanks for the tips though Ill just cruise at 70 on the freeway when I get the urge to go fast ill just raise it up and throw on my oem 19s :woot:

cak323i 01-10-2013 05:39 PM

I have to admit that I was completely against your setup until I saw your pic. Although I wouldn't set up my ///M like you did, I have to say that it does look good! :thumbsup:

Yeah, if you're going for this look then just keep it safe so you don't hurt yourself, others, and also your ///M! Happy motoring!!! :)

808elise 01-11-2013 01:38 PM

West Covina, you must have known Gavin, the prior owner of my new M then.

KaliVertBoy 01-12-2013 03:34 PM

I think I seen this car at the chino hills meet last month. Was that you?

illestminimike 01-12-2013 03:42 PM

OP, smokes too much weed.

808elise 01-12-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy (Post 15055159)

LOL. No. That was him as his car. Now i'm waiting for it to get off the boat here in Hawaii.

I like you car. Was not digging it from description but picture looks fantastic.

VTEC_THIS 01-13-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy (Post 15055159)

Yup that was me! That must have been your vert there to it looked clean!

VTEC_THIS 01-13-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808elise (Post 15055185)
LOL. No. That was him as his car. Now i'm waiting for it to get off the boat here in Hawaii.

I like you car. Was not digging it from description but picture looks fantastic.

Thanks!:thumbsup: And if the widebody white M is the one who got from him Im sure sure your having a blast seen that around a time or two!

VTEC_THIS 01-13-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illestminimike (Post 15055178)
OP, smokes too much weed.

:flipoff:

KaliVertBoy 01-13-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTEC_THIS (Post 15056480)
Yup that was me! That must have been your vert there to it looked clean!

Yea, well it was super dirty but yea that was my vert, thanks. I want your rims so bad :drool: