E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Turn car off, turn it on, extreme shaking. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964917)

HallisterJ1 01-10-2013 02:24 PM

Turn car off, turn it on, extreme shaking.

I have no check engine lights.

Example: You're driving pretty hard through the city but not racing, you stop and park at Vons to grab a drink, it takes about 5min. You get back in the car, start it up and you slowly leave and the car starts shaking like it's going to blow up internally, but if I give it gas it will generally go away. This problem has never stalled or stopped my car, it's just given extreme discomfort and worry on what's wrong in my engine.

For some reason my car likes going down hills, when it goes up a hill it will start doing this shaking thing if I give it too much gas.

Quick Parts History (5< miles)
FCAB's
Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter
Cooling System Overhaul (E46 Mango'd)
OFHG, VCG
Air Filter
ICV Cleaned, TB Cleaned
Spark Plugs/Boots
Slotted/Drilled Centric Rotors/Brakes
Both Pre-o2 Sensors
All Air Boots Replaced

I have an engine mount/tranmission mount/rear differential bushing waiting to be installed.

Any thoughts would be SO helpful.

lsteg 01-10-2013 02:30 PM

Sounds like motor mounts to me.

HallisterJ1 01-10-2013 02:35 PM

If that's the case, that is the best thing I've ever heard considering I'm just waiting to slap that on. Any other thoughts?

Mango 01-10-2013 02:42 PM

Highly doubt it's the engine mounts. worn mounts will just make the drivetrain sloppy. sounds like your car is just idling low or misfiring. that means you have vacuum leaks/ICV malfunction or other running problems.

MachRc 01-10-2013 02:52 PM

should clean/check maf sensor, double check coils, and scan for codes even though there is no CEL.

HallisterJ1 01-10-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15048915)
Highly doubt it's the engine mounts. worn mounts will just make the drivetrain sloppy. sounds like your car is just idling low or misfiring. that means you have vacuum leaks/ICV malfunction or other running problems.

No misfires, had that checked along with cylinder tests. I was scared I blew my head gaskets months ago. I'll check the leaks, and check the ICV.

lsteg 01-10-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 (Post 15048818)
I have no check engine lights.

Example: You're driving pretty hard through the city but not racing, you stop and park at Vons to grab a drink, it takes about 5min. You get back in the car, start it up and you slowly leave and the car starts shaking like it's going to blow up internally, but if I give it gas it will generally go away. This problem has never stalled or stopped my car, it's just given extreme discomfort and worry on what's wrong in my engine.

For some reason my car likes going down hills, when it goes up a hill it will start doing this shaking thing if I give it too much gas.

Quick Parts History (5< miles)
FCAB's
Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter
Cooling System Overhaul (E46 Mango'd)
OFHG, VCG
Air Filter
ICV Cleaned, TB Cleaned
Spark Plugs/Boots
Slotted/Drilled Centric Rotors/Brakes
Both Pre-o2 Sensors
All Air Boots Replaced

I have an engine mount/tranmission mount/rear differential bushing waiting to be installed.

Any thoughts would be SO helpful.

missed that part.

HallisterJ1 01-10-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachRc (Post 15048956)
should clean/check maf sensor, double check coils, and scan for codes even though there is no CEL.

MAF has been cleaned so much, it's the first thing I clean when I rip my air box off. Coils though...I'll check that out tonight.

GATORSHOES2 01-10-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15048915)

I'm going to +1 the misfires.

It did it once before for me, then again last week.

Car starts up fine, start it up again and it starts shaking horribly.
I misfired on 3 cylinders.

Although for me it's only been when it's cold.

Mango 01-10-2013 03:09 PM

Misfires won't always show as a CEL especially if it's only the first time it's happened. How long has this been going on OP?

Andy2108 01-10-2013 03:35 PM

cam position sensor?

MachRc 01-10-2013 04:27 PM

^^ thats a likely culprit also, when my cps went bad, I had hard time keeping the engine from stalling. I distinctly remember reving while the revs dropped stalled the car.

dmax 01-10-2013 04:57 PM

How much gas do you have in your car? Sending units go bad...and if you're not filling the tank up, you could be short when gas drops below half and the sending unit needs to deliver gas to right side of tank with pump? Maybe?

Andy2108 01-10-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 15049453)
How much gas do you have in your car? Sending units go bad...and if you're not filling the tank up, you could be short when gas drops below half and the sending unit needs to deliver gas to right side of tank with pump? Maybe?

Or low fuel pressure. pump going bad.

dmax 01-10-2013 06:04 PM

He did the fuel pump and filter...so I was thinking about fuel delivery from left to right lobe...the sending unit fails too. But, unless it can fail 'soft' or unless OP never fills up his tank, that wouldn't explain his symptoms if they've been persistent for a while...and it sounds like they have been.

OP...as mentioned, scan for codes. The car will have something recorded about what you've been experiencing.

Oh, and the other thing is that if any of this work you did was prior to these symptoms, and you got them shortly thereafter, consider an issue with aftermarket parts, especially electronic things. You didn't happen to do something else prior that you don't think is in any way related, and thus didn't mention it, did you?

BMWespresso 01-10-2013 06:23 PM

Vanos may stay on the wrong mode, not sure how you could check for this
For sure not the motor mounts

HallisterJ1 01-10-2013 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MachRc (Post 15049359)
^^ thats a likely culprit also, when my cps went bad, I had hard time keeping the engine from stalling. I distinctly remember reving while the revs dropped stalled the car.

The picture with more codes was taken 10/11/12, and the one with less and after TB, ICV, DISA cleanings was taken last month, 12/15/12.

I always fill my car up, never letting it get to less then 1/4. I've never seafoamed or done fuel injection cleaner, maybe I should?

HallisterJ1 01-10-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 15049712)
He did the fuel pump and filter...so I was thinking about fuel delivery from left to right lobe...the sending unit fails too. But, unless it can fail 'soft' or unless OP never fills up his tank, that wouldn't explain his symptoms if they've been persistent for a while...and it sounds like they have been.

OP...as mentioned, scan for codes. The car will have something recorded about what you've been experiencing.

Oh, and the other thing is that if any of this work you did was prior to these symptoms, and you got them shortly thereafter, consider an issue with aftermarket parts, especially electronic things. You didn't happen to do something else prior that you don't think is in any way related, and thus didn't mention it, did you?

Mentioned everything, well not exactly...everything's been kept OEM on this car, except Lemforder for FCAB (Shop Recommended)

Angel Eyes 81-LED
Carbon Fiber Emblems

My battery is old though, I'll be replacing it in a bit.

dmax 01-10-2013 07:30 PM

Have you looked at our exhaust flap? I don't have one, but I hear they rust closed...and there's some famous mod with a golf tee that I haven't heard about in a while...probably for a good reason! But, have 3 of 4 02 sensors with signal to ground problem seems odd...I wonder if it's because half your exhaust is closed...and maybe doesn't open up?

Worth a peak up them.

dmax 01-10-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 (Post 15049983)
Mentioned everything, well not exactly...everything's been kept OEM on this car, except Lemforder for FCAB (Shop Recommended)

Angel Eyes 81-LED
Carbon Fiber Emblems

My battery is old though, I'll be replacing it in a bit.

...and if it's not the exhaust flap, then I'm betting on battery.

Say you have a known low battery...drive it a bit to the store. Start it up...taking the last little bit of reserve the car has...and maybe your battery is low because the alt is delivering weaker voltage.

Do a cluster test (#9) for voltage both off and on. Check bat connections, grounds...