E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Cost estimate for brake pad replacement?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964979)

AC Yate 01-10-2013 10:01 PM

Cost estimate for brake pad replacement??

My brake pad sensor went on a few weeks ago so I'm trying to get an idea on how much it's going to cost to replace them. Last time I paid $730 for new pads and rotors. Looking back at some past threads, I think I paid too much. Anyway, I'm going to be getting rid of the car next year so I need the lowest cost replacement. I'm assuming I won't be needing new rotors since the light just went on and probably on have about under 200 miles since the warning light went on. Can someone give me a rough idea on the cost? I don't have the tools or garage to do a DIY, so I'll have to take it to a mechanic. Last time they charged $240 for labor (brakes and rotor). Thanks.

trentcdrums 01-10-2013 10:54 PM

Dude people sell new and used pads on here. I have a set of sensors brand new and used pads..

My325XI 01-10-2013 11:02 PM

Check the sponsor vendors, a set of pads and a new sensor should cost approx $60-$100... not 5 times that.

pawelgawel 01-10-2013 11:12 PM

look on craigslist or kijiji for afterhour mechanics... I charge $50 for labour to do front or back brakes.. $100 for both with pads and rotors.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

RayPooley 01-11-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentcdrums (Post 15050508)
Dude people sell new and used pads on here. I have a set of sensors brand new and used pads..

You would really put USED pads on your car? Pads that have been formed to different rotors? You might want to cheap out, fair enough, but stopping the car is not the place to do so. You can buy pads all round for what? $120? You can spend that on a night out on the piss.

Word to the OP. You don't feel any sense of responsibility to the poor sap who ends up with your car? Put some decent brakes on her. Doesn't matter whether you are selling her.

dmax 01-11-2013 06:00 AM

OP...textar pads are OE...see bmaparts.com around $50...sensor is cheap...you probably don't need rotors, you know.

Cost, as said, about $60...plus maybe 2 hours of reading time so you know what to do.

AC Yate 01-11-2013 06:09 AM

THanks. Is that $50-60 for each? So about $100-120 for all 4? Also, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for labor? Perhaps a range would be nice? Thank you.

RayPooley 01-11-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC Yate (Post 15051097)
THanks. Is that $50-60 for each? So about $100-120 for all 4? Also, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for labor? Perhaps a range would be nice? Thank you.

Get it on the ramp. Jack it up = 15 minutes. 15 minutes per wheel = 1 hour.
Get it off the ramp and road test = 15 minutes. Total 1 hour 30 minutes.

dmax 01-11-2013 06:31 AM

$60/axle...but, if you did all four corners, pads and rotors, I'd bet you anything that all you need is the front pads and sensor. The rear pads would be fine for almost twice the miles...all rotors should take another set of pads fine.

You might add some time to Ray's estimate...no need to race...and clean up the mating surfaces well...clean/grease guidepin bushings...anti-squeal cream on the back of pads...that's about it. BTW, bmw tis says 'don't' grease the guidepin bushing, but many here do...and my rebuilt calipers came greased...just use brake grease!

WDE46 01-11-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC Yate (Post 15050361)
My brake pad sensor went on a few weeks ago so I'm trying to get an idea on how much it's going to cost to replace them. Last time I paid $730 for new pads and rotors. Looking back at some past threads, I think I paid too much. Anyway, I'm going to be getting rid of the car next year so I need the lowest cost replacement. I'm assuming I won't be needing new rotors since the light just went on and probably on have about under 200 miles since the warning light went on. Can someone give me a rough idea on the cost? I don't have the tools or garage to do a DIY, so I'll have to take it to a mechanic. Last time they charged $240 for labor (brakes and rotor). Thanks.

I bought Zimmerman rotors and ATE pads from BMAParts.com for about $300 total. Labor shouldn't be more than 2 hours. I can do the job myself in about that time and I don't get to use a lift like the mechanic will. It should be $500 total for the job I would guess. I should note that there isn't anything "BMW special" about our brakes, so it's a very easy DIY if you have a jack and stands, but you already said you don't.

Oh and if you replaced the rotors last time, then you don't need to get new ones. Just do the pads and have the rotors turned on a lathe if they are uneven.

Zell 01-11-2013 08:19 AM

The hardest part of the whole job is removing the caliper carrier. Mine always gets seized in there really good. I almost want to use anti-seize in the bolts, but I'm afraid of doing that. I stripped my bolt with a breaker bar. Now I need to use an impact wrench and bolt extractor kit.

GSherbs 01-11-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayPooley (Post 15051109)

Yeah - about right assuming the rotors aren't fused to the hub. If they are, could be a much longer and more frustrating job I think?

I've seen some tricks on youtube for popping fused rotors off using some bolts and the caliper mounting bracket - any of you guys have other tricks for separating a fused rotor from the hub?

I've got this job coming up in the spring/summer - which is why I ask.

Thanks!
-G

Miko_10 01-11-2013 08:28 AM

Since you don't have the ability to DIY your labor costs might be about $100/hr all depending on the shop. My guess would be 2-4 hrs of labor depending on the shop(try searching in here for some actuals to have #'s to compare it to). So add that to the cost of parts that you buy and you should have a rough estimate.

Manny330 01-11-2013 08:32 AM

I paid 560. 360 for Zimmerman rotors and Pagid pads and 180 for installation. I would by the stuff and have someone install it just ask for a quote beforehand.

WDE46 01-11-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSherbs (Post 15051268)
Yeah - about right assuming the rotors aren't fused to the hub. If they are, could be a much longer and more frustrating job I think?

I've seen some tricks on youtube for popping fused rotors off using some bolts and the caliper mounting bracket - any of you guys have other tricks for separating a fused rotor from the hub?

I've got this job coming up in the spring/summer - which is why I ask.

Thanks!
-G

They should come off quite easily with a hammer assuming you can get the rotor screw out. Just smack the top edge with a hammer and keep your toes out of the way.

Jesse M 01-11-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miko_10 (Post 15051274)
Since you don't have the ability to DIY your labor costs might be about $100/hr all depending on the shop. My guess would be 2-4 hrs of labor depending on the shop(try searching in here for some actuals to have #'s to compare it to). So add that to the cost of parts that you buy and you should have a rough estimate.

Most shops charge around 1.5-2 hours to do a brake job. That's about $150-200. Try going to the dealership and talk to one of the techs, he might know someone who is willing to do it on the side or after the shop closes. Saves you money and puts cash in his pocket.

omg A e46 01-11-2013 09:38 AM

Just do it your self so easy

AC Yate 01-11-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayPooley (Post 15051109)

How about for someone that's never done this before so I'd be following instructions while doing the repair work. Also, can this be done with a simple jack one wheel at a time? I'm thinking about searching for afterhours mechanics vs. DIY but if I do it myself, then I'd have to make sure I have all the tools and extra parts in order. Do you think an afterhours mechanic (say from Craigslist) can do all four wheels (just pads and sensors, not rotors) for say 2 hours labor? Thanks again for the replies.

Snapasaurus 01-11-2013 05:27 PM

I paid 600$ including labor. Brembo pads and rotors.

moiz21 01-11-2013 05:32 PM

What part of VA are you in? I can do the replacement easily. I live in MD. PM me if you want to try and work out details. I've done it on my car and my brothers e46.