E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   convertible top wont go down (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965156)

nick16f 01-11-2013 08:56 PM

convertible top wont go down

i have a 2003 m3 and the convertible top wont go down, when you press the button, the top unlocks and goes up a little. but the top does not go down. when i put it down manually, it unlocks the same, and when i press the button in the back seat, the back part of the car where the top is stored will unlock and lock when i press the button. the only thing that does not work is the top it self, it is the only thing that does not move. i was told it was fluid. i was wondering how to fix it or what other problems it could be.

BWOODM3 01-11-2013 09:04 PM

Maybe it's because it's too cold for you to be playing around with your top

sakumaxp 01-11-2013 10:16 PM

-could be the fluid
-could be the fuse
-could be the compartment in the back is up

nick16f 01-12-2013 12:33 PM

Where I live right now it's 80 so it's not really cold. As far as the compartment, it works. It goes up and down and locks and all. The top it self just does not move. Where is the fluid located for the top on the car?

taylor192 01-12-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick16f (Post 15053631)
i have a 2003 m3 and the convertible top wont go down, when you press the button, the top unlocks and goes up a little. but the top does not go down. when i put it down manually, it unlocks the same, and when i press the button in the back seat, the back part of the car where the top is stored will unlock and lock when i press the button. the only thing that does not work is the top it self, it is the only thing that does not move. i was told it was fluid. i was wondering how to fix it or what other problems it could be.

There's a convertible section, you'll get more help there.

Could be a number of issues. The pump and fluid reservoir is on the drivers side in the trunk behind the carpet. There's a few push pins to remove, then just pull the carpet back and check. If you're low on fluid then you have a leak, most likely at one of the 6 cylinders.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

BWOODM3 01-12-2013 01:58 PM

Search e46 convertible top on YouTube. There's a few really good videos on there explaining how everything works. I had problems with my top this last summer and I fixed it after watching those videos.

liridonM3 01-12-2013 03:47 PM

Lol Make sure go in the trunk and the black latch is down I had this happen to me a couple of days ago.!!!!.

m3cabrio 01-25-2013 12:36 PM

All these super techs on here with their posts.

O.P when you press your top botton and the windows come down and the top starts to go back and it stop basically the harness that goes through the left part of your tops frame is either cracked or cracking and it has to be rewired. If you look at in between the top and the frame right above the drivers side you will see a harness that goes through the frame. Since that wires goes through the frame and it pinches itself it usually cracks.
BMW sells the harness repair kit but you basically have to take the top off and change all the harness in that section. I strongly suggest you let an Indy shop or the dealer handle this since its a huge job.

Again since I havent seen the car I cant tell you if that is your problem, but for my past experince what your posting indicates that the harness is the problem.

The trunk latch wouldnt be the problem because if it was then the windows wouldnt roll down and the top wouldnt move at all.
It also can be the micro switches on the rear sides of the frame as well, but an scan with a GT will tell you if micorswitchs are bad. I would start by looking at the wiring harness first.

At least if that is the problem then that saves you some diag money.

Let me know what you find out. Also you can P.M if you have some questions.

Good luck.