E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Keys locked in trunk and doors locked,help! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965293)

Davcar123 01-12-2013 08:38 PM

Keys locked in trunk and doors locked,help!
 
Okay here we go keys are locked in trunk of BMW 328 and doors also locked and a so called locksmith came and drilled trunk lock and still didn't open. What do I do. Thanks. :tsk:

dmax 01-12-2013 08:44 PM

328i or Ci?

If a coupe, you can wedge open door and pull handle with a 'car break in kit'--a wedge, and that long bent pole to pull on the handle.

The hole one drills for this isn't at the lock...it's actually in the center behind the license plate...can't give you exact location, nor can I tell you what to do after that exactly.

Hmmm...think you need to loose a corner light...break through it...get keys...get new corner.

Assuming, of course, you don't have other keys at home you could call someone to bring to you...

WDE46 01-12-2013 08:44 PM

Have him open your driver door and push the trunk button...

jfoj 01-12-2013 09:16 PM

Be careful as not all the cars behave the same. Maybe the earlier cars are different.

On the later cars, you cannot just pull the door handle with a coat hanger. You have to get something to push the console unlock button, THEN, pull the door handle with something. And on the later cars you cannot open the trunk with the electric release when the ignition is not on as I recall.

If you are able to get inside the car, you can possibly pull rear speak if you do not have fold down rear seats.

For about $60 you can get a Replacement key from the dealer. Order it first thing Monday morning the dealer will have it the next day. DO NOT buy a Valet key, total waste of money and the parts guys ALWAYS suggest a VALET key. I just do not get why they do that, I think they think the Valet key is cheaper???

But you might as well buy a new keyfob as you will likely be better off with that in the long run. Keyfob/Master should be about $160 unless the dealer will not give you decent pricing, if they want more, ask them to cut you a break.

jfoj 01-12-2013 10:35 PM

Something else to read - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=22

McDeshen 01-13-2013 09:04 AM

Pull out the speakers in the back and reach your hand or arm through the speaker hole into the trunk. If you can get in the door.

McGary911 01-13-2013 10:26 AM

When I got my car, there was only one key. One day I locked my key in the trunk. It's a convertible and thankfully the top was down, so I just reached in and hit the trunk release. About 4 minutes later, I was on the phone to the dealer ordering a new key. It was about $170 or so.

I'd be pissed the locksmith butchered your trunk lock.....and you're still not in your car.

jfoj 01-13-2013 10:33 AM

I believe that you could have only pushed the trunk button and opened the trunk if the car was unlocked?

Unless both/all door are unlocked on these cars, the trunk will not open from outside, however, if at least 1 door is unlocked the trunk release button should work, at least this is how my cars function.

A BMW with only 1 key is a PITA waiting to happen!

Sweetness 01-13-2013 02:17 PM

I did this and thankfully had a ski pass. Had to order a non-FOB key to open the car, then fish around in the trunk

McGary911 01-13-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 15056690)
I believe that you could have only pushed the trunk button and opened the trunk if the car was unlocked?

Unless both/all door are unlocked on these cars, the trunk will not open from outside, however, if at least 1 door is unlocked the trunk release button should work, at least this is how my cars function.

A BMW with only 1 key is a PITA waiting to happen!

I went outside and locked myself in my car. The trunk release still popped. There may be some truth to this being different depending on model and year. Also, I have a 'vert. Maybe that would be different if the top was down, kind of like the glove box. I'm out riding my bike now, or I'd check.

xixixi 01-13-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davcar123 (Post 15055632)
Okay here we go keys are locked in trunk of BMW 328 and doors also locked and a so called locksmith came and drilled trunk lock and still didn't open. What do I do. Thanks. :tsk:

HAHAHHA omfg this is the best post ever!!! break a window already jesus Fing christ. Drilled the trunk lock that sh!t is funny. rofl

tinman831 01-13-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGary911 (Post 15057014)
I went outside and locked myself in my car.

:rofl:

E86 FTW 01-13-2013 03:25 PM

Did you hear about the Fanatic that locked his keys in the car? Took him 4 hours to get his family out.

AmazingNutz 01-13-2013 03:39 PM

Your locksmith is beyond fcuking retarded. And you sir are...I don't even want to say it, for letting him drill your trunk. You should have wedge your front window and pull on the inner handle with a hook contraption, door should pop open.

Sent from my G6

Stinger9 01-13-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 15055691)
And on the later cars you cannot open the trunk with the electric release when the ignition is not on as I recall.

From my manual for an '04 coupe:

Central locking system
The concept
The central locking system is ready for
operation whenever the driver's door is
closed. The system simultaneously
engages and releases the locks on the doors luggage compartment lid
fuel filler door.
The central locking system can be
operated
from outside via the remote control
as well as via the driver's door lock
from inside by pressing a button.
The fuel filler door is not locked when
the central locking system is activated
from the inside. When
the system is actuated from the outside,
the anti-theft system is also activated.
This prevents the doors from
being unlocked via the lock buttons or
the release handle. The alarm system is
also activated or deactivated.
If locked from the inside, the central
locking system unlocks automatically in
the event of an accident, except on
doors that have been locked individually
using the lock buttons.
In addition, the hazard warning
flashers and interior lamps come on.
The lock
Only the master keys fit in the lock for
the luggage compartment lid.
To secure separately
Turn the master key to the right past the
resistance point and then pull it out in
the horizontal position.
This locks the luggage compartment lid
and disconnects it from the central
locking system.
This feature can be
used to prevent unauthorized access to
the luggage compartment when you
surrender the spare key only.
This can be advantageous for
valet parking, for example.
To open from the outside
Press the button in the handle recess:
the luggage compartment lid opens
slightly.
The luggage compartment is lit when it
is opened.
Manual operation
In the event of electrical malfunction
Turn the master key all the way to the
left - the luggage compartment lid will
open slightly.
The luggage compartment lid is locked
again as soon as you close it.


So see the above in bold face. This indicates the interior button for the trunk is operative or not depending upon how you've set the trunk lock with your key. You can lock out the button or not.
In my experience, if you have not locked out the trunk button, it will unlock the trunk even with the key removed from the ignition. That's why there is motivation to lock out the trunk button. Even if someone broke your window and reached in, they could not then open the trunk where all your valuable stuff is stored when you are traveling.

jfoj 01-13-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 15057253)
From my manual for an '04 coupe:

Central locking system
The concept
The central locking system is ready for
operation whenever the driver's door is
closed. The system simultaneously
engages and releases the locks on the doors luggage compartment lid
fuel filler door.
The central locking system can be
operated
from outside via the remote control
as well as via the driver's door lock
from inside by pressing a button.
The fuel filler door is not locked when
the central locking system is activated
from the inside. When
the system is actuated from the outside,
the anti-theft system is also activated.
This prevents the doors from
being unlocked via the lock buttons or
the release handle. The alarm system is
also activated or deactivated.
If locked from the inside, the central
locking system unlocks automatically in
the event of an accident, except on
doors that have been locked individually
using the lock buttons.
In addition, the hazard warning
flashers and interior lamps come on.
The lock
Only the master keys fit in the lock for
the luggage compartment lid.
To secure separately
Turn the master key to the right past the
resistance point and then pull it out in
the horizontal position.
This locks the luggage compartment lid
and disconnects it from the central
locking system.
This feature can be
used to prevent unauthorized access to
the luggage compartment when you
surrender the spare key only.
This can be advantageous for
valet parking, for example.
To open from the outside
Press the button in the handle recess:
the luggage compartment lid opens
slightly.
The luggage compartment is lit when it
is opened.
Manual operation
In the event of electrical malfunction
Turn the master key all the way to the
left - the luggage compartment lid will
open slightly.
The luggage compartment lid is locked
again as soon as you close it.


So see the above in bold face. This indicates the interior button for the trunk is operative or not depending upon how you've set the trunk lock with your key. You can lock out the button or not.
In my experience, if you have not locked out the trunk button, it will unlock the trunk even with the key removed from the ignition. That's why there is motivation to lock out the trunk button. Even if someone broke your window and reached in, they could not then open the trunk where all your valuable stuff is stored when you are traveling.

My 2006 E46 Convertible is very different from this description and here is what I can tell you based upon my checking on my car as it is currently configured.

1. You cannot unlock the doors via the interior door handle if you get in the car and lock yourself in the car. You have to press the console central locking button first, which performs the first stage of unlocking, before you can pull the door handle to actually open the door(s). Even when doing this the alarm will go off when opening the car in this manner.

2. My trunk will not unlock from the under dash button if the car is locked, me being locked inside. This may be due to the way the glove box is current set, I did not check the exact position of the glove box, but I believe the lock is in the vertical position. I recall the glovebox latch has 3 positions due to this being a convertible and it has a electrically lockable glove box latch. This electrical locking glove box is unique the the convertibles.

3. My trunk lock is always horizontal, it does not allow me to move the lock cylinder to the vertical position. I believe this is the way my car is designed and not a defective trunk lock cylinder. This is very different than my E39 M5 which you can set the trunk lock cylinder to either the vertical or horizontal position.

4. I cannot open my trunk from the outside unless both front doors are unlocked. May be due to the glove box lock position??

5. I can open the trunk with the under dash switch if the at least the drivers door is unlock. May be due to the glove box lock position??

6. I have not gone through the entire test for the glovebox lockout. The glovebox lock can be put it 3 positions as I recall.

7. My owners manual states that to lock the luggage compartment lid and disconnect it from the central locking system you use the masker key/keyfob to lock the glove box. Unfortunately the owner manual does not do a good job explaining the glove box latch or if it does, it is not in the central locking part.

So again, as stated, I believe the central locking systems have evolved over the years and do not behave exactly the same depending on not only the model year, but also the the body style. This does make it extremely difficult for owners to give solid and accurate advice.

Unfortunately the only other BMW I have in my collection at the moment is my 2003 M5, so this is the only other car I have on hand to compare features against.

YMMV, depending on model year and body style.

pleiades 01-13-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davcar123 (Post 15055632)
Okay here we go keys are locked in trunk of BMW 328 and doors also locked and a so called locksmith came and drilled trunk lock and still didn't open. What do I do. Thanks. :tsk:

What sequence was involved in setting up this scenario?

Did you lock the car from outside with the remote, then unlock the trunk only (with the remote), then dropped your keys in there and forgot?

Also, somewhat relevant here: what model year is your car? If it's older than a model-year 2000 ......

Not sure about the e46s (which is why you should listen to everyone here but me) but I can say that if locked from outside the car, e39 models up to '99 or maybe even 2000 cannot be unlocked by pulling on the door inner handles with anything (coathanger wire through the window frame, or even a trapped passenger's hand). The only thing that will do is lift the lock pull tab but it won't disengage the locking mechanism.

jfoj 01-13-2013 06:33 PM

I am guessing what happened is the car was already locked, then the OP used the keyfob or key to open the trunk then while getting something out of the trunk, likely out of a sport bag or something that may have required 2 hands to open, put the keys down and forgot to grab them before the trunk was closed??

I am sure the OP can confirm the scenario.

As for the E39, or most of the same vintage models, you have use use the console central lock button to unlock the first locking mechanism if you are locked inside the car or of you want to "coat hanger" the door, then you can pull the inner door handle to open the car door. This is how both the '03 E39 an '06 E46 work.

xixixi 01-13-2013 06:44 PM

Break your sunroof and buy my sunroof :)

driftingSOCALE46 01-13-2013 06:56 PM

really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by McDeshen (Post 15056610)
Pull out the speakers in the back and reach your hand or arm through the speaker hole into the trunk. If you can get in the door.

:banghead:something is wrong with you honestly!! If a person is in the car why remove a speaker to try and reach key in the trunk when there is a LEVER TO OPEN TRUNK ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE!!! do you have a bmw? or a huge brain fart there? Ide call a towing company that can wedge a inflatable bag in the door enough to let them pop the lock and open the door. Hope they have done it to a BMW though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use