E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   HID Fog Light install: question about ground wire (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965374)

Kris.R 01-13-2013 11:43 AM

HID Fog Light install: question about ground wire

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I just received my TRS 9006 morimoto kit for my fogs and I'm not really sure as to where I should mount the ground wires. Each ballast has a ground wire and its not that long in length.
I've attached a pic to show what I'm talking about.

Attachment 485845

christiandflores 01-13-2013 12:25 PM

Loosen up a nearby bolt that's connected to themetal on the frame. Then tighten back up

Kris.R 01-13-2013 12:28 PM

^ Do you think the bumper carrier itself be a good source for ground?

RKiepper 01-13-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris.R (Post 15056915)
^ Do you think the bumper carrier itself be a good source for ground?

No.

Run an extra wire with the fog light harness to a ground point that is part of the frame.

Kris.R 01-13-2013 12:50 PM

^ Ok sounds good. Thanks guys!

BWOODM3 01-13-2013 01:01 PM

Lets us know how it's turns out

loffa 01-13-2013 01:53 PM

There is an easier way :) you can just unplug the harness at the hid ballast (on the other end of the gnd wire you are holding in the pic) and plug the hid ballast directly to your OEM fog light harnesses connector. And then you can throw away the harness you removed from the kit, it is meant for cars that do not have 9006 bulbs to begin with.

If anything was unclear, throw me a message and I'll draw you a pic in paint :D

Sent from my HTC One S using Bimmer App

Kris.R 01-13-2013 05:04 PM

^ would you mind drawing a diagram?

Kris.R 01-13-2013 06:43 PM

UPDATE:

Ok guys so what I ended up doing was joining the two ground wires from each harness and ran a longer wire to the negative battery post to the terminal. Everything fired up!

P.S. I tried loffa's method (of which I appreciate the input) but in my case, I got the infamous instrument cluster light flicker/blip. If you have ever experienced this you know that the cluster's high beam icon flickers once very quickly, and in turn can possibly cause damage to the ECM.

Tchleung 01-16-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris.R (Post 15057600)
UPDATE:P.S. I tried loffa's method (of which I appreciate the input) but in my case, I got the infamous instrument cluster light flicker/blip. If you have ever experienced this you know that the cluster's high beam icon flickers once very quickly, and in turn can possibly cause damage to the ECM.

And that's precisely why one should never wire HIDS directly to both positive and negative leads of the factory fog harness. Everyone always tries to go the easy way about things but it usually doesn't pay off :p

Glad you got it working well!!

loffa 01-17-2013 01:43 AM

The instrument cluster flick happens because of a bad connection in one of the connectors (possibly connector not correctly seated or oxidized. Could also be on the other end of the factory harness (oxidized OEM ground)). In theory, the factory harness has enough wire thickness to deliver the needed amount of current to start up the hids correctly. I have managed to get all the hid kits working with the OEM harness (I've installed them on about 5 different E46) by cleaning the OEM connector and ensuring that it is seated properly.

But if you got it working with a separate ground its all good :)

rizwan1377 01-17-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris.R (Post 15057600)
UPDATE:

Ok guys so what I ended up doing was joining the two ground wires from each harness and ran a longer wire to the negative battery post to the terminal. Everything fired up!

P.S. I tried loffa's method (of which I appreciate the input) but in my case, I got the infamous instrument cluster light flicker/blip. If you have ever experienced this you know that the cluster's high beam icon flickers once very quickly, and in turn can possibly cause damage to the ECM.

I used the ground from the bumper carrier(reinforcement), there are 2 13mm nuts on each side of the carrier.
I have the same issue with the high beam icon flickering.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

Tchleung 01-17-2013 10:41 PM

It's not the wire gauge that is the issue, it's the LCM not being able to handle the fire up of HIDS.

rizwan1377 01-18-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchleung (Post 15071889)
It's not the wire gauge that is the issue, it's the LCM not being able to handle the fire up of HIDS.

Thats why i used a relay to handle the fire up.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

Solidjake 01-18-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchleung (Post 15068743)
And that's precisely why one should never wire HIDS directly to both positive and negative leads of the factory fog harness. Everyone always tries to go the easy way about things but it usually doesn't pay off :p

Glad you got it working well!!

Shouldn't be running HIDs in the fog lights period.