E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Mid Atlantic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Subframe help please!!!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965528)

Eisenheim 01-14-2013 09:20 AM

Subframe help please!!!!
 
So, this weekend I was changing my shocks because the previous owner let them blow out. While I was doing it I looked in the trunk under the liner and on the drivers side, both sides of the frame rail, saw 2 large cracks. I'll upload pics when I get home today. The crack on the left of the rail is about 4 inches long and arching to the left. On the right, its about 6 inches long :(

I'm assuming the PO knew about this because it looked like someone tried to cover it up with that body sealer stuff.

Does anyone in the MD/NoVa know of anywhere that can repair it for a reasonable price? I realise its going to be exspensive, but the shop I normaly go to is having problems with thier welder.

simsima325 01-14-2013 09:33 AM

Cheapest solution is probably one of those mobile welding companies. Buy the reinforcement kit yourself from Turner, strip the car yourself for the work, and just have them come to weld the plates in place.

Otherwise, in MD, get a quote from AtSpeed Motorsports.

Eisenheim 01-14-2013 09:48 AM

The thing is, I have the reinforcement kit but the tears are larger than the plates. But I'll check out AtSpeed, I've never used them, but have heard good things. Thanks for the quick reply, like I said, I'll try to get some pics of it up when I actually get a signal on my phone. This hangar is a giant Faraday cage.

JohnBlaze 01-14-2013 09:56 AM

take it to Road Race Technologies in Dulles VA, sure you might pay a few more dollars but it's worth the peace of mind in my opinion

simsima325 01-14-2013 09:57 AM

^ Get a quote on the work from both RRT and AtSpeed, and report back. Interested to hear the comparison.

With the tears being larger than the plates, they may not be able to give you an accurate quote without seeing the damage.

Eisenheim 01-14-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsima325 (Post 15059268)
^ Get a quote on the work from both RRT and AtSpeed, and report back. Interested to hear the comparison.

With the tears being larger than the plates, they may not be able to give you an accurate quote without seeing the damage.

Yea thats what I was kinda figuring. I just emailed AtSpeed, waiting on a reply. I dont have pics of the underside, only from the trunk. So itll be interesting to see what it looks like under there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBlaze (Post 15059266)
take it to Road Race Technologies in Dulles VA, sure you might pay a few more dollars but it's worth the peace of mind in my opinion

Have you had any work done from them? Thanks for the help

simsima325 01-14-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenheim (Post 15059307)
Have you had any work done from them? Thanks for the help

:lmao:

Eisenheim 01-14-2013 11:42 AM

:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by simsima325 (Post 15059320)
:lmao:


Eisenheim 01-14-2013 12:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here they are.

simsima325 01-14-2013 12:17 PM

I was laughing because his car has had the full RRT treatment, but I'll let him detail that.

Botched 'seal' job just means more work to clean that up for welding. That sucks.

Eisenheim 01-14-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsima325 (Post 15059657)
I was laughing because his car has had the full RRT treatment, but I'll let him detail that.

Botched 'seal' job just means more work to clean that up for welding. That sucks.

ah. I see lol. Well, I emailed them and in less than 5 minutes got a reply. They said usually around $1768....including parts and brake flush with allignment. After seeing the pics he said probably add another $500. All in all not horrid...but still hard on the wallet.

I think I bought a lemon :banghead:. Good thing the tranny only has 27k on it....Ill just keep thinking happy thoughts. :eek:

jdny516 01-14-2013 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RRT did mine, it cost me a pretty penny but it was great work. My subframe was completely torn through and required extensive repair (and fabrication), along with the TMS reinforcement.

Eisenheim 01-14-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdny516 (Post 15060059)
RRT did mine, it cost me a pretty penny but it was great work. My subframe was completely torn through and required extensive repair (and fabrication), along with the TMS reinforcement.

:eek: oh god thats horrid lol. I dont know how bad mine is on the underside, I havent seen it yet. Il get it up on ramps and give it a look.

JohnBlaze 01-14-2013 03:08 PM

yeah, RRT put my car together, they were actually the only shop around here that took me seriously when I approached several with my idea for a custom build. In fact the only other shop that gave me serious feedback at that time was Piper Motorsports who in the end recommended I talk to RRT as they didn't want to touch it.

They build out all types of Race cars and do a bunch of generic repair and service work too. I've gotten to know most of the guys up there and they're all down to earth and generally good guys.

I've been going to them for years and don't expect to change.

They've done tens if not hundreds of these subframe repairs and know their ****. I could not recommend a shop more earnestly

simsima325 01-14-2013 03:57 PM

^ looks like all they did was slap a set of ARC-8 on there :eeps:

Eisenheim 01-15-2013 06:04 AM

***UPDATE***

So, AtSpeed returned my inquiry. They said "they usually run between $1000-$1500. It all depends on how bad the damage is and whether or not you would like the reinforcement kit. So, without the kit around $1000-$1200 and with the kit $1200-$1500." Now, they also said that they've only done a few of the repairs and reinforcements, but I'm not doubting their work.

RRT was $1768 +\- $500. I'm also checking with Induktion Motorsports since they did quite a bit of work on my VR6. They fabricate a lot of stuff, so I'm taking it to them tonight to have them take a look and give me an estimate. The only thing is, I dont think they've ever done a repair\reinforcement on an E46 M3 before....but then again, their techs are use to repairing AWD Audi's and 337's so I have a bit of confidence in them.

moiz21 01-15-2013 08:06 AM

Give S2 Dynamics a call. The owner is a guy named Pat. He does great work and quoted me $700 for the reinforcement kit, that was without any previous damage. He did say it might go up a bit depending on if there were any cracks or anything once he got in there though. So you obviously may end up paying a bit more. But doesn't hurt to ask.

jdny516 01-15-2013 08:09 AM

It really depends on how much damage there is. Like I said before, mine was completely torn through so it was very expensive to fix. I am basically locked into my car for the next few years just because I shelled out so much to fix it.

Eisenheim 01-15-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moiz21 (Post 15062450)
Give S2 Dynamics a call. The owner is a guy named Pat. He does great work and quoted me $700 for the reinforcement kit, that was without any previous damage. He did say it might go up a bit depending on if there were any cracks or anything once he got in there though. So you obviously may end up paying a bit more. But doesn't hurt to ask.

Just emailed him, ill post the outcome.

simsima325 01-15-2013 09:27 AM

S2 Dynamics is formerly Pro Imports, with not the greatest rep around here. Hit or miss.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use