E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Vibration when turning left. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965587)

corNIC 01-14-2013 04:24 PM

Vibration when turning left.

Got sort of a strange issue here on the M3. It's nothing that super bad but definitely noticeable. 2001 E46 M3. So when making right turns at any speed there are no noticeable problems whatsoever. However when I make a left turn at anything much over 40-50mph and turn the wheel about 20 degrees or more to the left the car will start to vibrate a bit, even if I'm not turning hard at all. It feels to me like the front right tire/wheel is almost a bit loose somewhere in the hub? I'm not sure what the correct term is but was curious if anyone had any ideas as to the potential cause.

corNIC 01-14-2013 05:07 PM

If I had to guess its the tie rod does that sound reasonable?

NICKBRUM 01-14-2013 10:38 PM

Try only making right turns. UPS has there drivers do it as it is more efficient than waiting for left turn signals in the city. Haha with what your describing I would look at the wheel bearing first. I can't think of anything else that would cause a rotational vibration under load.

corNIC 01-15-2013 10:59 AM

lol yes the old only make right turns maneuver. I was tinkering with it last night it does in fact do it at slow speeds too, it almost the sound I would expect from a tire rubbing on the wheel well and its something to do with the rotation as its intermittent in relation to the wheel rotation speed.

intelone 01-15-2013 11:22 AM

Check your front control arm bushing, those always seems to go to hell. You mentioned its your front right wheel. Guess where the the right fcab is next to? The hot headers with integrated catalytic converters. That fcab has no chance with the heat, just a matter of time. Jack the front passenger side, and shake your wheel for play.

corNIC 01-15-2013 12:01 PM

I'll do it, I'm still driving in to work currently as I'm only making right hand turns so could be a while :P lol.

joelnet 01-21-2013 06:56 PM

my car does this, it was headers rubbing against the body. the lower part of the header near the x-pipe. the engine would shift and cause it to rub. only on left turns.

probably not your problem, but it's quick to check.

corNIC 01-21-2013 06:58 PM

Well this very well might be my issue, can you advise where I need to check cause I'm not totally familiar with what the xpipe is etc. Thanks man!

taylor192 01-21-2013 07:57 PM

Jack up wheel.
Use a jack stand.
Grab wheel at 12 and 6. Shake.
Grab wheel at 3 and 9. Shake.

If the wheel moves something is wrong.
Movement at 12 and 6 means bushings or ball joints.
Movement at 3 and 9 means tie rods or steering coupler.

Since its on one side only I'm going to eliminate the steering coupler.

Get someone under the car to watch with a good flashlight if you're having trouble identifying what's wrong.

Everything else is just a guess till you go test. This is an easy test, go do it, now! Don't post till you have as its just a waste of time to keep guessing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

corNIC 01-21-2013 10:31 PM

Yep I'm absolutely going to do that it's just been to frakin busy lately to take a peak, hoping to do it tomorrow. :D

M3SMG! 01-22-2013 03:45 PM

also could be the center support bearing rubber torn

taylor192 01-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3SMG! (Post 15085354)
also could be the center support bearing rubber torn

How would the driveshaft affect turning in one direction?

joelnet 01-22-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corNIC (Post 15082521)
Well this very well might be my issue, can you advise where I need to check cause I'm not totally familiar with what the xpipe is etc. Thanks man!

Check the bottom of your header, a little above where it bolts up to the rest of the exhaust. There was noticeable rub marks on the header and the body of the car.

///mteknikk 01-23-2013 09:50 PM

jack your car up and grab on to the wheel.
try pulling it from the sides and see if you feel excessive movement . (usually feels like a click or snap),if it does then its your tie rods.
try pulling from the top and bottom, if you hear a noise or any movement at all then its your hub bearing.
check all your control arm bushings for cracking or rotting, if anything looks bad chances are it is.

corNIC 01-25-2013 10:23 AM

Well if you want a good chuckle for your Friday morning, I get ready to jack up the car last night to check the tie rod etc. and my car jack is about 1.5 inches too tall to fit under my M3 lol! I was like *facepalm*, then did walk of shame back into the house. I've only had the car about 2-3 weeks so I guess it's time to get some sort of low profile jack.

taylor192 01-25-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corNIC (Post 15094802)
Well if you want a good chuckle for your Friday morning, I get ready to jack up the car last night to check the tie rod etc. and my car jack is about 1.5 inches too tall to fit under my M3 lol! I was like *facepalm*, then did walk of shame back into the house. I've only had the car about 2-3 weeks so I guess it's time to get some sort of low profile jack.

Or just get a couple blocks of wood and drive up onto them.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/jackUpCar/jacku001.jpg

Or build/buy some ramps:

http://image.truckinweb.com/f/editor...jax+in-use.jpg
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...1-12.05.43.jpg

M3SMG! 01-25-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 15085442)
How would the driveshaft affect turning in one direction?

My 328i would vibrate when I took a right hand turn and floored it. Not left. Who knows? I changed out the center support bearing ,problem solved.

:hmm:

corNIC 02-05-2013 05:14 PM

All right gents. I finally had a decent day of weather and some time, so I made some ghetto ramps to get my jack under the car and then did what many of you suggested. I had what I would consider to be way too much movement going left to right with the front right wheel. I attached a quick video of me moving the wheel. There was almost zero movement top to bottom on the wheel.

http://jchost.net/wheel.MOV

http://jchost.net/ramp.JPG

taylor192 02-05-2013 06:22 PM

The 3/9 (or left/right) test really needs to be done with someone holding the steering wheel to eliminate any slop... yet you seem to indicate one side is worse than the other and my wheel definitely doesn't move that much or that freely, so you've narrowed the problem.

Did you get under the car with a flashlight to see what was moving? Mostly likely this is a tie rod issue, which you should fix asap, although you want to be sure before throwing parts at it.

On many cars you'd just replace the inner or outer tie rod ends except on these cars its easier to replace the entire tie rod since apparently it can be difficult to separate the inner from the outer.

corNIC 02-06-2013 10:38 AM

Basically from what I have been reading I definitely think it's the tie rod. I'm going to get under it again and take the wheel off to try and see if I can prove that movement is in the ball joint/tie rod. Assuming it is has anyone ordered the part from a place around here? I was looking at ECS tuning website they had a non OEM that seemed reasonable or is it better to just stick with original. I don't mind spending the extra 50 bucks if there is a legit reason to do so. I think this is a repair that I can do myself after reading a few DIY's and a video I found of a guy doing it on a e46 last night he made it look pretty easy. I guess in some ways it makes sense to just go ahead and replace them both since I'm going to have to pay for an alignment afterewards......not sure.