E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Headlight problem 2004 adaptive (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965714)

ragtop69 01-15-2013 09:48 AM

Headlight problem 2004 adaptive

I have a 2004 330 convertible and the other day when I was driving, the passenger headlight got bright for a few seconds, then went out and i got the light out indicator on the dash. I switched the headlight off and then back on and it came on for a few minutes but then went out again and has been out ever since. I assumed it was the bulb and bought 2 new Philips OEM bulbs. I replaced the bulb and it still did not work so I tried the other new bulb and it did not work either. I tried swapping the ignitor (the square box that attaches to the back of the bulb with a 3 pin connector going to it) from the drivers headlight to the passenger headlight and vice versa. The passenger bulb still did not light and the drivers light did light so the ignitor appears to be good. I have done a bunch of forum searching and many people mention changing/swapping the ballast but I can't find any info on where the ballast is (if there is one) on a car with the adaptive xenons and realoem does not list a ballast as far as I can find. Does anyone know where the ballast would be and how to swap it on a car with the adaptive headlights so I can see if that is the problem. If anyone has any other ideas on what I can try to fix this problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

777eThOd* 01-15-2013 03:55 PM

If you take out both your headlights underneath is the ballast of the headlights and theres just 3 screw and just swap them out, also check for shorts inside the box. My Ballast just went out not that long ago in my car as well and its an 04 too. It cost me a little more than $300 new but don't have anymore issues.. Good luck!

ragtop69 01-15-2013 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Did you swap them left and right to verify the ballast was bad or did you just replace it. Thanks

777eThOd* 01-15-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtop69 (Post 15064440)
Thanks for the info. Did you swap them left and right to verify the ballast was bad or did you just replace it. Thanks

Yeah, sorry I forgot to write that, the night it blew up, I carry about 4 spare HID D2S bulbs just in case(dont ask lol) And I pulled over in a gas station and swapped them out and nothing, then I swapped out the 55w module(red boxy thing) and nothing. So then when I got home I swapped out the ballast from side to side and boom, there it was.

ragtop69 01-17-2013 10:09 AM

Update: I swapped the ballasts and it did not fix the problem. I took a closer look at the headlight assembly and found that the green wire going to the ignitor on the back of the bulb was broken just beyond the connector. I soldered it back together and now the light works fine. So apparently if you are having problems with your lights take a close look at those wires to see if they are broken

B.I.G.blue 01-17-2013 09:14 PM

I'm having the same problem with my passenger light (05' coupe) and I'm not totally certain if the module which is damaged is the ballast or the adaptive headlight controlling unit itself. This same thing happend a couple of months ago, took to the shop and the wires were all damaged, so they fixed them, but that didn't hold up for long and now I'm confused on which module to buy.