E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Engine vibration and intermittent roughness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965745)

his15153 01-15-2013 10:52 AM

Engine vibration and intermittent roughness

I recently cleaned the ICV valve. After I had reinstalled everything, it had turned out that the new hose clamps I had installed caused the intake control arm (I'm not sure the exact name of it, but it is what opens and closes the intake) to come loose. I figured it out and changed the angle. But anyways, after this I drove the car about 50 miles round trip. During the first portion of the drive, everything ran smooth. When I left to come home, I noticed the car had a very slight vibration. It wasn't there before (and since then I sat in another M3 and it definitely did not have it either, so I know its not in my head). Also, shortly after the engine started running rough. You felt it while idling and also while accelerating.

The next morning, the vibration was still there, but the roughness had gone. Now the roughness intermittently comes back. I am not sure what could cause this. Originally I thought one of the spark plugs might be fouled, due the car running rich for that little bit while the intake stayed closed. I took the plugs out and inspected them and they didn't look dirty. So now, I'm not sure what this could be.

scca_ziptie 01-15-2013 05:28 PM

Sounds like a vacuum leak. You sure you got all hoses reinstalled correctly (if removed) and that everything is tightened securely?

$ilent ///M 01-15-2013 08:58 PM

May need to drive some more so the dme can relearn the adaptations since you cleaned the icv.

his15153 01-17-2013 12:36 PM

I checked all the hoses, and they all seem to be installed properly and tight. As for the DME, is there anyway to reset it?
I also just did a smoke test, and there are definitely no vacuum leaks.

his15153 05-23-2013 10:00 AM

So I recently took the car to 2 different mechanics. They have both given me different opinions on what is wrong.

I do get an intermittent check engine light for the catalytic converter. However, the roughness happens with or without that light being on. But one mechanic thinks that may be the problem.

The other mechanic told me that it could be the flywheel. In which case, maybe the problem I am having is not roughness, but just a vibration.

Has anyone had this same problem. Both jobs will end up being pricey, so I hate to do either one on just a whim.

his15153 08-28-2013 06:53 PM

Update...

Finally got the problem fixed. It turned out to be the fan. It had 2 broken blades that caused it to be unbalanced.

tinman831 08-28-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by his15153 (Post 15673254)
Update...

Finally got the problem fixed. It turned out to be the fan. It had 2 broken blades that caused it to be unbalanced.

Glad you didn't listen to those two other mechanics and fix those parts. :hmm:

atrak 08-28-2013 11:17 PM

haha thats kind of funny. Neither mechanic got it right.. goes to show they are still human.